Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Jan 7, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #841 of 2,082
Anyone can recommend a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter for using A&K ROSIE that goes all the way in and fits tight with KA?

I wonder what an adapter would be used for the Kann Alpha ? .. as they are 2 balanced inputs working fine 1x2.5mm and 1x4.4mm.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #843 of 2,082
I use sometimes the DJ44A 2.5mm to 4.4mm from DD, but I am still not sure it is worth to use it on a Kann Alpha.
1610086916341.png

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #846 of 2,082
recieve my KA today and It's heavier than my Portable HDD LOL, after applying the Screen Protector the Screen got really blurry What?
Yeah the matte screen protectors do something funny to the resolution of the screen. I'd suggest buying some glossy ones, that's what I did for my SE200.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #847 of 2,082
recieve my KA today and It's heavier than my Portable HDD LOL, after applying the Screen Protector the Screen got really blurry What?

@Onik: like you, i was initially surprised as well of my Kann Alpha's weight upon receiving it.

however, i immediately, upon its first use, was amazed at this diminutive device, its capabilities, power output, dual dac chips with on-chip, baked-in hardware MQA full unfolding, etc.

considering what it does, i continue to be amazed despite its substantial weight. it's a marvel of modern technology to me.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #848 of 2,082
Is it safe to update 1.01 latest? Also why my New KA charging really slowly with usb c cable?? Edit: found out that I need 9V 1.67A adapter to charge faster.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #849 of 2,082
I didn't use 1.0 .. but definitely the 1.01 is really annoying with any wifi based listening AK Connect (NAS) or Qobuz (Wifi stream) => Wifi falls asleep and music stops every 15 minutes !!!
It doesn't happen with music on SD or OTG SD reader.
With Wifi it happens even if you change the parameter for AK Connect sleeping feature.
It's an amazing issue not fixed yet !!! and make this DAP almost unusable with streaming features.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #851 of 2,082
Is it safe to update 1.01 latest? Also why my New KA charging really slowly with usb c cable?? Edit: found out that I need 9V 1.67A adapter to charge faster.

iirc, in terms of lithium cell maintenance, slower recharging is better for the batteries in terms of longevity.

you might wish to research into that a bit to ensure better longevity if that matters to you.

i recharge around once every 3-5 days, so assuming once per 4 days, 365/4 = 91 times per year.

most lithiums are said to be able to cycle around 400 to 500 times before their capacities shrink to really low levels, so i'd say that i'm good for roughly 4-5 years before i would have to be concerned about my batteries needing replacement.

by then, i would suspect that new technologies would have been introduced and i'd be itching to get the new stuff anyway.

Jan 10, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #852 of 2,082
exactly that is the problem that I have, I think that the software is not well polished, if they do not solve it then we will sell it and buy a fiio m15 that apparently works well

My Fiio M11 has some issues too .. at least it has a limited BT 5.0 bandwidth and for a very long time BT volume was way too low (till one of the last firmware), the volume knob is quite erratic and uncomfortable to use, battery life is rather limited (anorexic ?) in balance mode and at last available power is really behind the Kann Alpha (which is the main issue for me 5V compared to 12V of the Kann Alpha).

I am more and more afraid that we have to consider that most of the Chi-fi hardware/software are never really fully operational when they are sold and support is almost non-existent... Fiio is sometimes producing some new firmware to fix more or less some of the issues, but A&K ? 1.01 seems to be there for 2 months and almost unusable for streaming more than 15 minutes...

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #853 of 2,082
I didn't use 1.0 .. but definitely the 1.01 is really annoying with any wifi based listening AK Connect (NAS) or Qobuz (Wifi stream) => Wifi falls asleep and music stops every 15 minutes !!!
It doesn't happen with music on SD or OTG SD reader.
With Wifi it happens even if you change the parameter for AK Connect sleeping feature.
It's an amazing issue not fixed yet !!! and make this DAP almost unusable with streaming features.

Well damn AK did it again just like they did with KANN original(semi bricked) which made me sell it for £350 luckily the buyer didn't bother.

After hating them for almost a year I still bought their new KA and the reason is I did really enjoy KANNs SG, and the price for KA wasn't a big deal for me.

Right now I think This company is not really trusted for their dodgy firmware and services. I would say keep away from AK if you care about your money.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #854 of 2,082
iirc, in terms of lithium cell maintenance, slower recharging is better for the batteries in terms of longevity.

you might wish to research into that a bit to ensure better longevity if that matters to you.

i recharge around once every 3-5 days, so assuming once per 4 days, 365/4 = 91 times per year.

most lithiums are said to be able to cycle around 400 to 500 times before their capacities shrink to really low levels, so i'd say that i'm good for roughly 4-5 years before i would have to be concerned about my batteries needing replacement.

by then, i would suspect that new technologies would have been introduced and i'd be itching to get the new stuff anyway.

Kool good to know, can you recommend me any charger that gives fix 9V 1.67A non sm?

Jan 10, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #855 of 2,082
Kool good to know, can you recommend me any charger that gives fix 9V 1.67A non sm?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPD5T5H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Something like this. They are cheap and available everywhere. Made my charge time go from 6-9 hrs via USB 3.0 computer to 2-2.5 Hrs. It charges so fast I have to watch it closely as best battery health is understood to be between 20%-90% for longevity. Charge to 90%, use to 20%, every 3 weeks or so I use the slow charge computer USB to top off to 100%. Try not to let it dip below 20%
Fwiw, I have an SE200 and it runs great without any issues. That's a bummer on the KANN line though. Hope they address the problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back