Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Nov 28, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #574 of 2,083
Any impressions about the alpha?
Is it wise to replace the sp2000 with the alpha?
I mainly use iems

My legend x benefits a lot from the additional power of the alpha but if you only need to drive sensitive iems you would not need the extra power. SR25, SE200 and many other daps from different manufacturers will be OK. For mixed usage sensitive/non so sensitive/ hybrids iems/full size cans, the alpha is excellent

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #575 of 2,083
My legend x benefits a lot from the additional power of the alpha but if you only need to drive sensitive iems you would not need the extra power. SR25, SE200 and many other daps from different manufacturers will be OK. For mixed usage sensitive/non so sensitive/ hybrids iems/full size cans, the alpha is excellent

That Is Indeed an interesting point: I mainly use Isine 20 with High amp, and volume can go higher than you could Imagine (without being deafening I mean). Impedance Is @ 24 ohms and Sensitivity
Is 112 dB/1mW, nevertheless I do benefit from a setup I thought It would be ok Just for full size cans.

I don't get the deal here since I am not that aknowledged on such matters, but what happens Is I can tell the difference of going Say on medium or High amp (the latter being more "bold" and giving more body to sound).

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #577 of 2,083
That Is Indeed an interesting point: I mainly use Isine 20 with High amp, and volume can go higher than you could Imagine (without being deafening I mean). Impedance Is @ 24 ohms and Sensitivity
Is 112 dB/1mW, nevertheless I do benefit from a setup I thought It would be ok Just for full size cans.

I don't get the deal here since I am not that aknowledged on such matters, but what happens Is I can tell the difference of going Say on medium or High amp (the latter being more "bold" and giving more body to sound).

iSine are planar IEMs.Planars usually benefits from high current like many hybrids iems (beside solaris) or some dynamic drivers iems. Not sure about iSine but it may be the case.

On the other hand, many all ba iems don’t need such high current. Best example, Andromeda, they can be driven by an ipod touch (which by the way, for as strange as it may seem, it’s one of the best pairing for the Andros I came across) :)

What I think is excellent about the alpha is the ability to drive everything well and I don’t see other daps so good for mixed usage if someone has multiple iems/cans (maybe ibasso max?). Similar to my previous kann cube but much much less noisy.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #578 of 2,083
What I think is excellent about the alpha is the ability to drive everything well and I don’t see other daps so good for mixed usage if someone has multiple iems/cans (maybe ibasso max?). Similar to my previous kann cube but much much less noisy.

That Is exactly the same idea I have.
"Effortless Versatility" Is the concept that comes up to my mind (@JasonNYC I want copyright on this if AK plans to use It as a claim, lol).

Ability to drive stuff and very low noise.

Nov 28, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #580 of 2,083
Anyone pair the alpha with a 64audio IEM? 12t/18t/18s ? Would these benefit from the extra power?

I read the kann had issues with 1TB cards and was not usable .. which was not a great thing to read, have those issues been mitigated on the alpha?

@JasonNYC

Nov 28, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #582 of 2,083
Anyone know anything about this week's Bad Guy Audio review?
If speaking about Moondrop Illumination, I'd be pushed to pay half the asking price...

Q-6

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #584 of 2,083
Is it possible to keep the LED indicator on a specific color, regardless of what format is being played?

Sorry but what for? :)

Nov 28, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #585 of 2,083
Any impressions about the alpha?
Is it wise to replace the sp2000 with the alpha?
I mainly use iems
??? absolutely not
The Dunu DK 3001 Pro are very underestimated and a solid choice for for those seeking a musical IEM. The Alpha I'll see soon enough, have Sony WM1A, A&K SR25 (128) and Hifiman R2R2000 (Multibit DAC, truly natural reproduction). The Sony being the chameleon, thx to the community and custom firmware that can now emulate WM1Z and just recently DMP-Z1.

I've recently tried A&K SA700, SE200, SR25 (bought), Kann Cube, just waiting on the Kann Alpha. If the ESS DAC's are tuned similar to the Cube the Alpha will likely be a solid buy, if similar to the SE200 ESS DAC's maybe not so much. SR25 impressed as aside it's feature set, significant battery life, the DAP presents the music very smooth, detailed & balanced...

Q-6
how does the kann cube compare to the r2r2000? i'm stuck between the alpha (delta omega dac but normal ui and streaming) and the r2r2k red (multibit, pure SQ)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back