Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Dec 25, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #781 of 2,082
I have a problem with albums data on Alpha that I don't face with other DAPs: Many albums go into "Unknown" although I get my files from MY original CD's being ripped by me, and the albums I guy from Bandcamp.

Also, what would you guys recommend as the FASTEST microsd to benefit from storage expansion?

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #782 of 2,082
its like the same problem I have on the WM1A....geez, the more complex these daps get, the more they drop the ball on small details like this

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #783 of 2,082
I have a problem with albums data on Alpha that I don't face with other DAPs: Many albums go into "Unknown" although I get my files from MY original CD's being ripped by me, and the albums I guy from Bandcamp.

Also, what would you guys recommend as the FASTEST microsd to benefit from storage expansion?
What format are you using? I had issues with ALAC, but all is fine since I moved to FLAC.

Dec 25, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #785 of 2,082
Ripping/downling FLAC. Even Aiff and mp3 have the same anomaly.
Mmmm have you double checked the metadata for those albums? Maybe they are missing some info
Also, is the scan complete?

Dec 25, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #786 of 2,082

I rip all my cds on dbpoweramp. If you like you can send me just one effected file and I’ll see how it looks when I open metadata on that application. My collection is in FLAC as well. Took me months of work to sort the tags, better album artwork, etc. sorry I’m a perfectionist. Lol.

I’ve certainly heard of issues with album art on various platforms (NAS setups for example). I guess the only other issue I’ve heard of is the “album artist” and “artist” issue. Some players look at one tag and not the other which can cause some small problems however as the player software on DAP’s has become better it’s not something I see as much now.

only other theory. Do these album tags have odd characters in them? Maybe the player can’t read the characters?

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #787 of 2,082
I rip all my cds on dbpoweramp. If you like you can send me just one effected file and I’ll see how it looks when I open metadata on that application. My collection is in FLAC as well. Took me months of work to sort the tags, better album artwork, etc. sorry I’m a perfectionist. Lol.

I’ve certainly heard of issues with album art on various platforms (NAS setups for example). I guess the only other issue I’ve heard of is the “album artist” and “artist” issue. Some players look at one tag and not the other which can cause some small problems however as the player software on DAP’s has become better it’s not something I see as much now.

only other theory. Do these album tags have odd characters in them? Maybe the player can’t read the characters?
I'll send you a song from an album I bought from Bandcamp. How can I do that.
Some albums list normally and some don't - although from same source (hdtracks or bandcamp.

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #788 of 2,082
Is there any way to change the display font to a larger size on the Kann Alpha?

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #790 of 2,082
Is there any way to change the display font to a larger size on the Kann Alpha?
I'Ve also not seen any way to make the font larger.

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #791 of 2,082

I use SanDisk Extreme PLUS (also one of their recommended microsd cards) which is very fast; it's pretty much indistinguishable from builtin storage speed if that's what you are looking for. As far as ripping CDs sometimes the artist, album title, album art, etc. aren't assigned to every track when ripped. The same goes for downloading. I had the same issue when I was reripping my music to the Kann Cube. I used dbpoweramp to organize everything. If you have a lot of music it will take some time to straighten it all out just the way you want it.

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #793 of 2,082

AK players sort based on info in the ID3 tags. If your ID3 tags are correct, I would recommend trying a manual media scan as the player may not have indexed the tracks correctly the first time. Settings -> System Reset -> Initialize media scan. If you have playlists, please make sure clear playlists is not selected. It can take up to 15 - 20 minutes for the player to fully scan and index all music, depending on how many files you have in internal and external memory. Let the player sit for the entire time and do not play any tracks while it is scanning.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #794 of 2,082
I just received mine from China.. :o2smile:

A few issues coming straight out of the box :

1) My 1Tb sandisk Micro Sd seems not working with the Kann Alpha (Though they're working perfectly with Dell Notebook, Windows working station, Sony WM1A, Fiio M11) It's even impossible to format it with the Kann Alpha.

2) Impossible to download playlist on SD with Qobuz, but I knew it before my order.

3) Impossible to be a DLNA renderer controlled by (mconnect/foobar/..)

4) Parametric equalizer is like a joke ... 10 fixed band ????? and very limited parameters +/-5Db, 2.0 to 4.0 Q... I hav never seen such limitations and that makes it almost unusable as a PEQ.. it's better to use the Graphic Equalizer

5) No possibility to use a better android reader like Neutron Player (available on apkpure)

6) Police are fixed and rather very small in some case

7) the top part went away after a while .. Glue was not strong enough

I have lost several hours today for these tests (it took very long and I got a headache with the 1Tb micro SD).. I still have to test Toslink output to connect to my external M500+THX887, compatibility with some android Bluetooth remote control, .... etc

Luckily some very good points are there :
=> Power can clearly drive the Heddphone by Hedd,
=> Connection with my Synology NAS seems to be fully functional with AK Connect and comfortable
=> It's working rather fast
=> Qobuz is working fine (just impossible to download enough playlists)
=> luckiliy the GEC is applicable to Qobuz or Synology NAS Media station

Luckily, I ordered the Kann Alpha fore these last features to be free at home... but I don't expect to travel with it (anyway Heddphone is unusable), not being able to use 1Tb sandisk micro SD is just a major issue in 2021.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #795 of 2,082
Parametric equalizer is like a joke ... 10 fixed band ????? and very limited parameters +/-5Db, 2.0 to 4.0 Q... I hav never seen such limitations and that makes it almost unusable as a PEQ.. it's better to use the Graphic Equalizer
there is an "advanced" function where you can find 20 bands:
  1. 30hz
  2. 45hz
  3. 60hz
  4. 90hz
  5. 120hz
  6. 180hz
  7. 250hz
  8. 380hz
  9. 500hz
  10. 750hz
  11. 1khz