Astell & Kern Kann MAX
May 8, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #423 of 549
Having used it for some weeks it's a disappointment. Not the music, which is great when paired with my IE900s, but the interface. Constantly stalling and needing restarting. For an expensive piece of kit, the UI is prehistoric.
Weird, I had zero software issues with KM. Are you using a good SD card?

May 19, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #425 of 549
Comparing with Shanling M7? What do you prefer?
TBH I prefer FiiO’s M15S, because KANN Max is a bit more monitoring than I’d like, and M7 is a bit more fun than I’d like. And I’d you choosing out of those two, just think — what of those two signatures attract you more

May 28, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #426 of 549
A massive thank you to Stephan, working at the A&K distributor, HEA Distribution, in the UK, for a fantastic trade in for my year old SR25 to the KMaxx. The battery had bulged and taken the back cover off the SR25. Rather than wait 6 weeks for the Gernan Service Centre for repair, an alternative roadmap was laid out and I had the KMaxx in my hands 3 days afyer contact. Have to say, phenomenal customer service. And an unbelievable deal, which I wont disclose here, so bravo.

I'm relatively new to the world of higher end DAPs. And dont really do reviews. I started off with an Ipod Classic many moons ago, then an Ibasso DX60, then the SR25. The SR25 is a fantastic DAP within its space. But I craved more, so landed here after much solid research here and elsewhere.

It sounded all over the place in the first hour. Too bassy and smeary and congested. Disappointing, I fugured. But oh my word, given only a few hours burn in, its opened up beautifully! Soundstage is fabulous. Wide and deep. Syereo imaging first class. Bass? Yups, big, textured and clean and no hint of boominess. Mids are lovely, the HFs are absolutely sweet for my ears. Its musical allright. Engrossing and totally involving. 3 dimensional. Its simply on another planet compared to the SR25.

I had Etymotic E4P, Shure SE15SE in the past. Not enough soundstage or bass for me - though the Etymotic was a detail freak but no go on the bass. I crave a big soundstage and 3 dimensionality. Currently I'm using with the fantastic 4 driver BA, ISN Audio H40 with their top hybrid cable. and the dynamic driver Sennheiser ie8 with GUcraftsman 6N silver cable And 5N OFC silver crystal cable. It powers my home Hifiman Arya fabuloulously. But this is primarily for outdoor use, and for those times I simply cannot be bothered with the ritual involved with my speaker system. Will probably head for £1k IEMs in future, as this DAP deserves the best.

Absolutely no issues with filling my 1 TB Sandisk sd card. No issues with the OS at all either - snappy!

Short and sweet, but I could not be happier!

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #428 of 549
I got two weeks ago the Astell & Kern Kann Max, I am both using it with high-res music files on the SD card and on Qobuz. I have no complain with the sound quality that is just fantastic as compared to my older Fiio M11. However, as pointed out by other users, the user interface is rather slow but I can adapt to it. The main drawback is definitely the stability and/or the quality of the wifi, when I am listening on Qobuz I have to be close to the wifi source otherwise the sound start to lag especially when playing 24 bits/192 kHz files.

May 30, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #429 of 549
I got two weeks ago the Astell & Kern Kann Max, I am both using it with high-res music files on the SD card and on Qobuz. I have no complain with the sound quality that is just fantastic as compared to my older Fiio M11. However, as pointed out by other users, the user interface is rather slow but I can adapt to it. The main drawback is definitely the stability and/or the quality of the wifi, when I am listening on Qobuz I have to be close to the wifi source otherwise the sound start to lag especially when playing 24 bits/192 kHz files.
What version of FIIO M11 (M11, M11Pro, M11Plus Ltd, M11s ) with ESS or AKM chips are you comparing A&K Kann MAX to?

Jun 2, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #434 of 549
On the Kann max the UI is not fluid that is true but as I wrote before it is ok, you do not use the device as a smartphone. I do not care much about the UI. The most important is the sound quality that is really nice. For the wifi …. It works as long as you are near the source. In this case the quality of the sound is also very good.

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #435 of 549
Any chance for Astell & Kern Kann Max to get UI/UX - Crimson ?
As of now, there are no current plans to update the KANN MAX to the new UI found on the SR35/SE300/SP3000. That may change in the future, but as of now, it will not get the new UI update.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back