Astell & Kern Kann MAX
Jan 4, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #376 of 549
I have several SACDs ripped from their multichannel tracks into dsf files which play beautifully on the Kann Max, though the EQ and filters do not work on DSD.
Thanks for the reply. Good news then . I found some 6 channel versions ( Queen - A Night At The Opera, Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here and Toto - 4) are with higher DR compared with their stereo versions and better sounding for me.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #378 of 549
Im having a few weird issues when I pair the KANN Max with my iFi Hip-Dac2 and Gryphon. Both exhibit gaps in playback of MQA files. Straight from the KANN the MQA files play perfectly. This wasn’t an issue on the KANN Alpha. Does anyone have any idea what would be the cause of this?

Jan 16, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #379 of 549
Got the chance to listen to the kann max today and I'm conflicted.
The Kann max itself imo is a insanely good value device with good power to drive even demanding headphones and has really good detail. The problem comes with how A&K has tweeked the sound to sound too perfect by softening clipping and other imperfections. While I am very tempted to buy this damn it I want my crappy recorded non de S ed songs to sound like crappy recorded non de S ed songs and not like a serene painting.

Pls help convince me I need a DAP that makes everything sound amazing even if it takes the soul and excitement out the music.

Jan 16, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #380 of 549
Got the chance to listen to the kann max today and I'm conflicted.
The Kann max itself imo is a insanely good value device with good power to drive even demanding headphones and has really good detail. The problem comes with how A&K has tweeked the sound to sound too perfect by softening clipping and other imperfections. While I am very tempted to buy this damn it I want my crappy recorded non de S ed songs to sound like crappy recorded non de S ed songs and not like a serene painting.

Pls help convince me I need a DAP that makes everything sound amazing even if it takes the soul and excitement out the music.
I have been an AK guy for many years, and the Max is my current. There's nothing wrong with the Max, it is a beast that offers pretty much everything I'd want in a DAP.

However, to finally try something very different, I recently picked up a used Luxury and Precision P6 Pro. Now, this is not a fair comparison with the LP costing WAY more than the Max. The LP has almost none of the features that make the Max such a great DAP. For example, the Max has a great EQ that can really bring out the best in difficult IEMs and headphones, where the overly expensive LP only has EQ presets (!) like you used to see on old MP3 players (EG, rock, pop, jazz, bass, etc.). So why even go there?

Well, the sound is truly not comparable. This is where that digital precision of the Max cannot come close to the sound of an R2R DAP like the LP. I finally found a sound that makes my body move and my endorphins kick. If only it had the features of the Max, but it doesn't, not even Gapless playback (poor Pink Floyd, and classical).

While I've not tried it out, I've read that the SP2KT can attain some of this sound signature through use of its tube amp and it's hybrid amp. If true, it might be my next stop as it does have all those wonderful features of the Max.

I'm still using the Max, but only with certain headphones. If it doesn't need EQ, and most don't, there is no turning off the LP. So, that was a long winded way of saying I know what you mean...the Max does not always deliver soul and excitement. Check out the SP2KT and try an R2R DAP if you want the hair on the back of your neck raised.

Jan 29, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #382 of 549
Hi I'm about to change from hiby R5ii to alpha max.

Can alpha max run YouTube? Because I enjoy video and music on YouTube too. Thanks :)
Nope. Astell & Kann products do not have open Android system. Only limited apps such as Qobuz and Tidal are available to AK devices...

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #384 of 549
I bought the Kann Max yesterday. Was getting used to it and looking to download the Tidal app through Open APP Services.

A problem has occurred with WiFi. While the Kann Max successfully connected to my high speed home wifi, it has started to switch itself off. I can go to the wifi settings and switch it back on, but after 30 seconds it switches off again. If I shut the device down and start it again, wifi connects, but as soon as I go to another menu, it goes off again.

It's driving me crazy. Any advice, please?

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #385 of 549
I bought the Kann Max yesterday. Was getting used to it and looking to download the Tidal app through Open APP Services.

A problem has occurred with WiFi. While the Kann Max successfully connected to my high speed home wifi, it has started to switch itself off. I can go to the wifi settings and switch it back on, but after 30 seconds it switches off again. If I shut the device down and start it again, wifi connects, but as soon as I go to another menu, it goes off again.

It's driving me crazy. Any advice, please?
Do you have the latest firmware? There were no specifics to wifi but good to be at the latest.

What happens with a static IP address assignment?

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #386 of 549
The KANN MAX is what we're looking at today on Headfonia.

https://www.headfonia.com/astell-kern-kann-max-review/

Astell&Kern KANN MAX (7).jpg

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #387 of 549
According to the test above, Max has a better stage and holography than Cube, do former Cube owners agree with this assessment? Until now, I considered the Cube to be the most scenic and holographic DAP in its price range, and most of Max's reviews tend to think that it is a development of the Alpha's sound, which was quite far from the Cube in terms of scene presentation...

Feb 3, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #388 of 549
According to the test above, Max has a better stage and holography than Cube, do former Cube owners agree with this assessment? Until now, I considered the Cube to be the most scenic and holographic DAP in its price range, and most of Max's reviews tend to think that it is a development of the Alpha's sound, which was quite far from the Cube in terms of scene presentation...
I think the Max was the benefactor of trickle down tech from the other AK recent releases. The UI is fast, the EQ works unusually well, and it's quad DAC, but ESS, if it had AKM, everyone would have clamored for it.

I think it's most definitely a step up from both Alpha and Cube, the imaging is superb and clean with a big, holographic stage, in all gain modes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back