Astell & Kern Kann MAX
Dec 18, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #361 of 553
They are totally different products. Mojo2 (I am selling my like new one on eBay), is a DAC/AMP that requires a source (your iPhone, a computer, etc.). A DAP includes the source and player which could be streaming (Quobuz, Tidal, etc.), a hard-drive, or micro-sd card installed in the DAP itself. I own the iBasso dx320, A&K 3k (replaced my Kann Max), and HiBy RS6 and they are all great - but obviously cost multiples of the Mojo2 because they are different products. If you are using it primarily at your desktop there is no particularly good reason to spend the money on a high-end DAP and the Mojo2 sound is awesome. The reason I have DAPs is that I travel a lot and found that it was inconvenient to have my iPhone plugged into my Mojo2 when I needed to use my phone for other purposes. The only other comment I'll make about the Mojo2 is that somewhat inexplicably it only has (2) 3.5mm unbalanced headphone jacks. If you are a believer that balanced is superior to unbalanced (I personally can't hear a difference) then the Mojo2 is not for you.
Great inputs. You are right, my use case is actually diferent and mojo2 or gryphon would better suit me for that. I thought to consider Kann Max only because of its power and not sure, I thought may be it had better sound quality. But as per your points, I think I can save good money by buying a DAC without compromising with sound quaity. I'm also more interested in Gryphon as it has bluetooth and 4.4 connector for higher power output qhich can help driving my planer headphone better. Thank you

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #362 of 553
They are totally different products. Mojo2 (I am selling my like new one on eBay), is a DAC/AMP that requires a source (your iPhone, a computer, etc.). A DAP includes the source and player which could be streaming (Quobuz, Tidal, etc.), a hard-drive, or micro-sd card installed in the DAP itself. I own the iBasso dx320, A&K 3k (replaced my Kann Max), and HiBy RS6 and they are all great - but obviously cost multiples of the Mojo2 because they are different products. If you are using it primarily at your desktop there is no particularly good reason to spend the money on a high-end DAP and the Mojo2 sound is awesome. The reason I have DAPs is that I travel a lot and found that it was inconvenient to have my iPhone plugged into my Mojo2 when I needed to use my phone for other purposes. The only other comment I'll make about the Mojo2 is that somewhat inexplicably it only has (2) 3.5mm unbalanced headphone jacks. If you are a believer that balanced is superior to unbalanced (I personally can't hear a difference) then the Mojo2 is not for you.
As you used dx320, kann max and rs6. Can you describe SQ of each one, comparing all the three? If one of the three should be chosen, then which one will be the preferred one?

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #363 of 553
I've been pushing my Kann Max these past couple months and also done a lot of reading on all the AK players. I've discovered lots of things and grown a real admiration for this little power puncher.

One thing I'll say is that I've read widely that people think AK equalizers are ineffective. I have found the opposite, in fact, the power of the built in parametric EQ is quite real.

I bought a notoriously needing-EQ in ear, the Audeze LCD-i4. If you know anything about that aural piece of joy, you know how important it is to be able to adjust EQ to make it show its real abilities. The Audeze also famously require strong, clean power to harness that EQ and give you the necessary volume.

I have found the Kann Max to very capably handle these tasks and in reading about all the players out there in the price point, I'm thinking this AK could be an unsung hero in the myriad DAPs of its class as well as a real contender with its higher-considered siblings like the SP2k, though I cannot make a direct comparison. What I can say is that folks complaining that their AK EQ doesn't do anything may need to upgrade cuz this thing not only graphically allows highly precise EQ settings, but also makes those differences in the sound very distinctly evident and satisfying (unless you're listening to DSD which does not seem to allow the EQ at all, and maybe this is people's confusion).

Pairing that ability with the high, and even super gain amps, and magic occurs that sounds like nothing I've ever heard through IEMs or full headphones. I know that the TOTL must cost that much for a reason, but exactly how much better sound will you realize, 5%, 50%? I think it's got to be a game of diminishing returns at this point!

Finally, driving these LCD-i4s with the Kann Max is a beautiful pairing for me (ymmv, but see attached with modded Indigo wire) and I'm absolutely loving it, and all my other sets which I sometimes EQ (eg, I find CTM needs a little help, and am beginning to fool around with the HD800s).

I'll end with a complaint because what good hifier wouldn't with an AK!? I can't get any downloaded APKs to be recognized in the Open Service folder, including the XAPK Installer. This part is annoying, but at least the sound is great!
20221218_121038.jpg

Dec 18, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #364 of 553
As you used dx320, kann max and rs6. Can you describe SQ of each one, comparing all the three? If one of the three should be chosen, then which one will be the preferred one?
Honestly, they all sound great to me, though the Kann max has a high gain setting that allows one to get more volume out of low sensitivity headphones/iems. The biggest difference to me, honestly, is the operating systems. The A&K are notoriously slow - and the wifi reception on my Kann Max (and SP3k) is not great. The OS on the iBasso and HiBy are both much faster and the wifi reception is better. If you are only playing music from a micro-sd (they can all take up to 1tb cards I believe) you shouldn't care much about the OS as they all have separate dedicated OS's for playing music off a drive (vs. streaming). If you are streaming a lot, frankly I would go for the dx 320, or if you want something smaller and more portable, then the HiBy. Just my opinion though. I am far from a professional reviewer.

Dec 18, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #368 of 553
It's Android 11, I believe, so pretty high for a DAP. Still, I cannot install non streaming apks.

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #369 of 553
Honestly, they all sound great to me, though the Kann max has a high gain setting that allows one to get more volume out of low sensitivity headphones/iems. The biggest difference to me, honestly, is the operating systems. The A&K are notoriously slow - and the wifi reception on my Kann Max (and SP3k) is not great. The OS on the iBasso and HiBy are both much faster and the wifi reception is better. If you are only playing music from a micro-sd (they can all take up to 1tb cards I believe) you shouldn't care much about the OS as they all have separate dedicated OS's for playing music off a drive (vs. streaming). If you are streaming a lot, frankly I would go for the dx 320, or if you want something smaller and more portable, then the HiBy. Just my opinion though. I am far from a professional reviewer.
My usage is 50:50 with local playback and streaming. Wifi issues, I too have faced when I auditioned Max yesterday. But same thing on their SP3K is unacceptable. Having very good SQ along with crappy UI is not what majority will prefer when getting a new DAP. Pricing, premium wise following Apple philosophy will only work when they have iOS kind of fluidity. Else, they will seriously lag behind the competitors as is the case with A&K. As much as I liked SQ of A&K DAPs, I can’t simply put up with such erratic OS. They would do lot better if they remove streaming capabilities and use bare bones UI like what Lotoo and Sony(WM1A/Z) does.

Coming back, yes I may prefer any one among iBasso/HiBy/Shanling. Thank you.

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #370 of 553
It's Android 11, I believe, so pretty high for a DAP. Still, I cannot install non streaming apks.
Oh is it? Android 11? I thought it’s Android 6/7. That’s how outdated and laggy it is.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #371 of 553
I updated from the KANN Alpha. Noticable difference in resolution on all the headphones that I tried. I'm very happy with the upgrade so far.

MM-500 is a lovely pairing. I was running in Super mode. The MM doesn't need that much power but I was noticing a bit more dynamic punch with more power available.

IMG_4568.jpg

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #372 of 553
Oh is it? Android 11? I thought it’s Android 6/7. That’s how outdated and laggy it is.
Laggy? Mine does not lag, it responds quickly to touch and moves. Even when I'm streaming which is rare.

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #373 of 553
@JasonNYC is there any way to get the DSD files in my Max to be subject to EQ settings?

Also, is there an XAPK Installer that my Max can see and install? I've tried the first choice at APKpure.com but the player is not seeing it in the Open Service folder. The link to the Installer on the AK blog is dead, so not sure if there's a specific one and I can't find it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jan 4, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #374 of 553
Are you referring to adding an icon in the notification bar to toggle Roon Ready on and off?
Hello Jason. I have in my local music collection few albums ripped from 6 channel sacd albums . They are ripped into wav or flac. I do realise I can't listen multichannel recordings via stereo output/headphones, but I love the mastering on these albums. My current dap Shanling m6 pro can play them with no issues. Can you confirm that Kan Max will be able to play such files? This is something strictly relying on software I believe, and normally android can handle it, but I wonder will that be the case with sort of ''locked'' android such as Astell&kern UI.

Jan 4, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #375 of 553
Hello Jason. I have in my local music collection few albums ripped from 6 channel sacd albums . They are ripped into wav or flac. I do realise I can't listen multichannel recordings via stereo output/headphones, but I love the mastering on these albums. My current dap Shanling m6 pro can play them with no issues. Can you confirm that Kan Max will be able to play such files? This is something strictly relying on software I believe, and normally android can handle it, but I wonder will that be the case with sort of ''locked'' android such as Astell&kern UI.
I have several SACDs ripped from their multichannel tracks into dsf files which play beautifully on the Kann Max, though the EQ and filters do not work on DSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back