Astell & Kern Kann MAX
Jul 11, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #107 of 549
Yup, dhl took it today:frowning2:
Okay, cool. I look forward to your copius amount of detail on the sound quality as well as usage.

I saw the MAX coming out right after I purchased the 320. I thought to myself WOW the MAX has great specs, 4.4mm, smaller form factor, and can do streaming apps. Sounds like a complete package!

The only questionable things to me were battery life and how restricted the UI is along with how sterile and analytical the sound is, like I have read AK house sound is. I need fun and musical!

Jul 11, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #109 of 549
Okay, cool. I look forward to your copius amount of detail on the sound quality as well as usage.

I saw the MAX coming out right after I purchased the 320. I thought to myself WOW the MAX has great specs, 4.4mm, smaller form factor, and can do streaming apps. Sounds like a complete package!

The only questionable things to me were battery life and how restricted the UI is along with how sterile and analytical the sound is, like I have read AK house sound is. I need fun and musical!
I only have it for a couple hours and it went down from 54% to 0% in around 3,5h. But AK states on their site that it can hold up to 13h (3,5mm, standard flac, low gain) so im counting it should be around 11h on mid/high gain, 4,4mm and mostly standard flacs mixed with streaming. But i think the battery needs formating. Will report on that after 2-3 full cycles.

For me its more portable than the 320 but is thicker and bit heavier. In general i like its smaller form factor.
I installed Amazon HD with no issues, there is no need to download APK pure on your PC and going through the whole process like with older AK models.
There is an access to the most popular streaming services directly on a dap. Just click download and install.

The sound is definitely more reference than on the dx320 with amp11.2s. But.. i feel like is more fun due to the big, deep bass and clarity and dynamics. Also i noticed that it became smoother and warmer after 3h, so lets wait for some burn in.
320 is slightly warmer and focuses on textures, especially in mids. But is also slightly more blended, where the Max is cleaner, more separated and dynamic (wouldnt call it analitycal, far from it). Its becoming very layered too (at the beginning was bit flatter and wide).
Funny thing- when comparing dx321.2 to the IFI gold Bar, the ifi sounded even cleaner. When compared the Gold Bar to the Max, IFI soundedbit muffled in mids. Tricky brain?
dx323 is significantly smoother and tube-like organic. But its also bit flatter from the bass to hights and plays mainly with the timbre and reverberations.
I loved 323 sound, i think it was the best what ive heard from iBasso to date. For me it was just not enough fun. Fantastic sound for critical listening, audiophiliac nirvana but it lacked fun factor for me.
The Max has it and still maintains to be critical when needed.

So both are great, really like them and my choice is dictated only by personal preferences and the need to have a smaller dap.

More impressions to come.

Jul 11, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #110 of 549
Here we go!

20220711_151510.jpg

I actually love the sound. It was very good stright out of the box but slighlty sharp in hights.
After 3h the hights become sweet and natural.
I didnt expect this kind of signature. I always thought that the Kann series is different, flatter and more reference.
This boy sounds more like a typical A&K on AKMs for me. Smooth, deep, clean, precise with big, deep, punchy sub bass.
Also layering is great, it reminds me very much of the sp1k but with wider soundstage. Great, clean dynamics too.
Very very pleased.

Wifi works very well, im getting strong signal, no interruptions.
UI is what it is, you know AK:) Doesnt even compare to the dx320 smoothness and speed.

Its getting quite hot with the first use.

I like the sound more than on the dx320 with stock amp. But imho they are on the same level, just different in presentation.
Ibasso is focused more on mids and great texturing. Is very rich when the vocals hit. It has more mid bass than sub. Trebles are becoming more similar now on the AK- sweet, smooth, detailed.

Max has more sub bass presence- i love it! Very satisfying. Dx320 lacked a bit in this area.
Vocals are bit smaller on the AK but bit cleaner and very well separated, having their very precise place on a stage.

Its a keeper for me.
Glad you like it, nice to to hear how it compares with other brands 👍

Jul 11, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #111 of 549
The sound changes quite fast. Now it smoothened and sounds bit like a combination of dx321 and 323. Its maybe slightly clearer in mids, maybe even more natural?? still has very clean and articulated sub bass and bit wider soundstage. But overall it sounds like dx320 lol.
Dont know what kind of changes time will bring but i wouldnt expect anything groundbreaking. At least it doesnt sound worse, exact same level but bit more fun with couple upgrades which are specifically for my liking.
Im very happy coz i was scared of getting a downgrade from the dx320.
And its smaller:)

Jul 11, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #117 of 549
Not even a chance to listen yet

20220711_191707.jpg

Jul 11, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #120 of 549
I have a blue Miter for my AK Kann Alpha
But check the picture and 'sadness' will happen there ...
No clue if it fits the AK Kann MAX but I would go for this one
US $29.03 40%OFF | Soft TPU Shockproof Protective Case Cover for iRiver Kann Alpha Shell Skin
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK67iDo
20220711_2021492~2.jpg

647255806544191484.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back