Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jun 18, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #1,756 of 2,204
Has anyone used the KANN Cube as a USB DAC while connected to a Roon Nucleus, or connected to any other non-Windows transport device in a Roon Core ethernet network? Jason, might you please have any information from A&K as to whether the Cube will work as a DAC with a USB connection to Linux devices such as the Allo Raspberry Pi or with ARM-based devices?

Thank you very much!

Ok, I’ve confirmed that KANN Cube requires a Windows 10 PC or Mac (running Roon Bridge) to receive USB audio running in DAC mode. The PC requires the KANN Cube USB port driver to be installed (supplied with the KC). I recently acquired an inexpensive Intel NUC that I’ve been using for this, it acts as a Roon endpoint to bridge my KC DAC to my Roon Core PC via an ethernet network.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #1,757 of 2,204
Just tried out the Master and Dynamic MW07 Plus IEMs with my KANN Cube.

The Bluetooth pairing was easy, and got a nice confirmation that the Qualcomm apt-X mode was active. It was interesting to note that the available volume level was significantly higher than with the same connection to my KANN. Very clear midrange and good bass response.

Jun 18, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #1,758 of 2,204
error

Jun 19, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #1,759 of 2,204
Ok, I’ve confirmed that KANN Cube requires a Windows 10 PC or Mac (running Roon Bridge) to receive USB audio running in DAC mode. The PC requires the KANN Cube USB port driver to be installed (supplied with the KC). I recently acquired an inexpensive Intel NUC that I’ve been using for this, it acts as a Roon endpoint to bridge my KC DAC to my Roon Core PC via an ethernet network.
To be precise the KANN Cube does not require a windows PC to receive USB audio. It works nicely as USB DAC from android phones. I just tried with my Linux PC, with that works as well without additional driver.

As I did not know Roon, I did not understand your use case with ethernet bridge. Now I was reading a bit about Roon. I wonder if a sideloaded app could transform the Cube to a Roon remote device over wlan. I suspect the Qobuz app would do it, if you happen to have Qobuz subscription.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,760 of 2,204
does anyone know a similar sounding stationary headphone amplifier to Kann Cube?
Have a look at the cayin tri-stack

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #1,761 of 2,204
To be precise the KANN Cube does not require a windows PC to receive USB audio. It works nicely as USB DAC from android phones. I just tried with my Linux PC, with that works as well without additional driver.

As I did not know Roon, I did not understand your use case with ethernet bridge. Now I was reading a bit about Roon. I wonder if a sideloaded app could transform the Cube to a Roon remote device over wlan. I suspect the Qobuz app would do it, if you happen to have Qobuz subscription.
Good to know about the Android and Linux PC usage, thanks! Perhaps the “Roon Ready” KC firmware that Astell & Kern is hopefully still working on uses a similar methodology to the sideloading that you describe. It’s not obvious how the Cube would accommodate the Ethernet signal path without having an RJ45 connector, however, and going back to WiFi reintroduces radio interference/congestion issues.

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #1,762 of 2,204
Wanted to check can an ipad pro or iphone be connected to the kc to use as the dac/amp (via usb c).

i tried yesterday using the usbc cable that came with the kc for charging (And the apple cck for the iphon) but i got nothing from the ipad at all and the iphone gave me the message saying too much power is being drawn

is it just case that the charging cable does not work for this and i just need to swap that for an audio usb c cable?

Jun 20, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #1,763 of 2,204
Wanted to check can an ipad pro or iphone be connected to the kc to use as the dac/amp (via usb c).

i tried yesterday using the usbc cable that came with the kc for charging (And the apple cck for the iphon) but i got nothing from the ipad at all and the iphone gave me the message saying too much power is being drawn

is it just case that the charging cable does not work for this and i just need to swap that for an audio usb c cable?
The USB-C cable that comes with the Cube is not only a charging cable, but it can be used to connect the Cube to a computer, down and upload files, and use the Cube as USB DAC for the computer.

According to this a phone needs a USB OTG cable to recognize that it's time for it to work in usb host mode. I would have expected that the cck takes over that funcion for the iPhone, but maybe you still do need the otg cable in addition to the cck.

Jun 20, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #1,764 of 2,204
A beautiful pairing, or maybe trio, Kann Cube - Grado RS1e - Moon Audio balanced Black Dragon cable. What a great synergy these components present. Portable/Transportable either way the Kann cube gives options into the full sized headphone game that is exceptional. Power baby! Kann Cube excells. Power with exceptional implementation of the dual ESS ES9038PRO DACs. Desktop replacement sure. Transport absolutely. Standalone of course. Source for all your HiFi needs sure, this is a great device to feed all your needs. Probably the best suited device to meet a multitude of HiFi desires for a -full on fantastic- experience. I for one love the Kann Cube.

What? Four pin XLR output to you favorite balanced AMP. Hook this beast up to a Jotunheim, get that Shiit sound rockin your favorite balanced headphones. Kann Cube - THX AAA 789 - favorite balanced headphones, wow!

USB DAC we almost take that for granted these days. Your computer never sounded any better. Digital out hooked to the Kann Cube then amplified in any manner you wish or just listened via the Kann Cube. Excellent!

Speakers? Well lets try this, Kann Cube - Shiit Saga+ - Dayton Audio APA 150 - JBL Studio 530 - I can't put in words, your ears are on HiFi heaven.

One of the best HiFi purchases I have ever made. The honeymoon is over and I will respect and admire this partner well into the future. We will grow old together.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #1,765 of 2,204
if only it had 2 sd card slots

Jun 21, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #1,766 of 2,204
The USB-C cable that comes with the Cube is not only a charging cable, but it can be used to connect the Cube to a computer, down and upload files, and use the Cube as USB DAC for the computer.

According to this a phone needs a USB OTG cable to recognize that it's time for it to work in usb host mode. I would have expected that the cck takes over that funcion for the iPhone, but maybe you still do need the otg cable in addition to the cck.
Is an otg cable also for sending a digital signal (files/music) FROM A DEVICE like the iphone/ipod to the kann cube or just/only from the kc to an external dac (Which i’ve done before)?
thanks

Jun 21, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #1,768 of 2,204
Is an otg cable also for sending a digital signal (files/music) FROM A DEVICE like the iphone/ipod to the kann cube or just/only from the kc to an external dac (Which i’ve done before)?
thanks
That is correct, with the otg cable it is possible to send files from phone to Cube, or use the Cube as USB DAC by switching on the USB DAC mode. When I tried it was deplating the phone's battery with a speed of few % per minute, however it was not an issue when connected to a laptop.

Maybe it is worth to note that otg cables can be directional cables, at least my fiio USB-C to USB-C otg cable is like that. That means I have to connect a specific end to the phone, and the other to the Cube. Connecting it he other way round it does not work.

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #1,769 of 2,204
Just tested 30 minute shutoff on the KC I have here and one of our customer service reps tested on a KC he has. Both shut down after 30 minutes without issue on the latest firmware. Do you have any apps open or running in the background? If there is a streaming app open in the background, it would prevent the player from going to sleep most times as they send data in the background, making the player think it is being actively used even if it isn't. You can check and close any streaming apps running by hitting the virtual back button twice on most apps to exit the app when you are finished, or by swiping down from the top of the screen on the home screen. Any apps running in the background will be listed in the notification bar. You can swipe left or right on the app in the notification bar to close it.

Thanks! That has solved the problem as far as my KC is concerned.

I didn’t know that sideloaded apps could keep the Cube awake. I am using Qobuz as my music source. I’m not sure what you mean by tapping twice on the virtual back button to exit an app, or maybe Qobuz doesn’t work that way.

But I can swipe left or right on the notification bar to shut down Qobuz. Then my Cube happily powers off according to the Timer settings.

Thank you very kindly again!

Jun 22, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #1,770 of 2,204
My one switches off, just tried the 10 minutes setting. Normally I prefer longer, because it takes soo long to boot up.

Btw, did you manage to activate the 2.4 GHz Wifi at home? I have not seen any wifi router yet that does not support 2.4 GHz. Sometimes it is just not activated.

Thanks Newsee!

Got the issue solved, it seems Qobuz was preventing my Cube from shutting down.

Regarding my WiFi, I am not able to test anything with my home network at the moment as my home network has died. But as soon as I get it back up and running I will check.

Thank you for your thoughts and advice. I feel like what you are saying explains everything that I am seeing. As soon as I turn on 2.4Ghz I bet everything will start working (just as you said it would).

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back