Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jun 14, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #1,741 of 2,200
Problems with sideloaded Tidal version 2.24.0...
A few posts back I was having trouble and couldn't log into older version, with help from others here and JAson, I updated to version 2.24.0 which seemed immediately to fix all issues I was having. However I have been having persistent issues with skipping an/or pausing during playback. This seems to happen even with tracks/albums I downloaded with the older version, not just recent downloads under the 2.24.0 version.
Anyone else having this problem?
I thought I would try a reinstall, but not sure it this is possible as the file will have the same name. Could I rename the new copy of the file after downloading on my PC, copy to cube and install with the new name?

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #1,742 of 2,200
Oh no, I've just tried playing my own music stored on the cube and having the same problem, although no where near as bad. Playback can pause for 5 to 10 seconds fairly regularly...like every 30 seconds or so.

Any ideas? Reinstall latest firmware (1.21CM)? Is it possible to do this manually?

thanks
Rusty

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #1,743 of 2,200
I think I've worked out the problem. It seems to be restricted to only 2 cables, both 3.5mm cheap cables (using external speaker). I tried using bluetooth (which I rarely do) and had no issues like this, I then tried my good 3.5 cable (which I also rarely use) and also no problems, although I do recall this happening a little with one of my good 2.5mm cables recently. Maybe I need to clean up the jacks on the Cube and those cheap cables too. I'm trying the xlr output now and so far no problems.

Hopefully I've not wasted anyone's time, but if others have a similar problem, maybe its the jack/cable that's the cause.

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #1,744 of 2,200
I'm still using the stock version of tidal preloaded.
Is there any sonic benefit to updating or is it simply a matter of a number going up on the screen?

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #1,745 of 2,200
I'm still using the stock version of tidal preloaded.
Is there any sonic benefit to updating or is it simply a matter of a number going up on the screen?
I\
Hi Gabehcuod,
I'm talking about the side-loaded Tidal App, it allows you to download music and play offline. I only updated because my old version locked me out somehow. I haven't noticed and difference in SQ.

Thie preloaded version is currently 1.21CM, if your Cube is running version 1.17 or older, you need to manually update, after that the device tells you when an update is available.

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #1,746 of 2,200
DSD is converted to PCM for the optical output You have to enable it in Settings->S/PDIF conversion.

AK connect app does the remote control - sort of. AK connect function must be enabled for it on the Cube.
BubbleUPNP does it as well, it has even Qobuz and Tidal integration, except playing offline content.
Thank you very much.
Just bought BubbleUPNP and Its very very good.
Life is much easier and the interface is great.
I feel like once I get a re-clocker, this combo will compete with the nicer streamers out there.

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #1,747 of 2,200
Hi audio-
I also have 1.21CM as I expect most of us would by now and I'm not having that problem with battery., there doesn't seem to be any chance in battery performance to me. I have no idea how to reinstall it. but that might help.
Rusty

I have located the problem.

Under “Settings”, “Timer Settings”, “Auto Power Off” is set to 30 minutes, but in fact, my Kann Cube never turns off.

Kind of amazing that in the most recent case, which I found today, my KC was able to stay powered on for a full 48 hours, with Bluetooth on, although the Bluetooth was not connected to anything.

@JasonNYC, anyone else noticing this problem? It only started happening with the new 1.21CM firmware. My unit is still under warranty, although just barely. Do you recommend I try anything or file for a replacement unit.

Kind regards

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #1,748 of 2,200

Under “Settings”, “Timer Settings”, “Auto Power Off” is set to 30 minutes, but in fact, my Kann Cube never turns off.

Kind of amazing that in the most recent case, which I found today, my KC was able to stay powered on for a full 48 hours, with Bluetooth on, although the Bluetooth was not connected to anything.

@JasonNYC, anyone else noticing this problem? It only started happening with the new 1.21CM firmware. My unit is still under warranty, although just barely. Do you recommend I try anything or file for a replacement unit.

Kind regards
Might be worth it to speak with your dealer.
They might know if other customers have had similar issues and handle the RMA if necessary.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #1,750 of 2,200

Kind regards
I have not heard of others having the issue. I'll check with our support team to see if anyone else has reported the same issue and will test out on my KC that I have with me.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 17, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #1,751 of 2,200
does anyone know a similar sounding stationary headphone amplifier to Kann Cube?
Burson conductor 3 has similar sound signature imo, just a bit cleaner, wider soundstage, deeper and tighter bass.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #1,752 of 2,200
the burson is a beast....can drive anything

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #1,753 of 2,200

Kind regards
My one switches off, just tried the 10 minutes setting. Normally I prefer longer, because it takes soo long to boot up.

Btw, did you manage to activate the 2.4 GHz Wifi at home? I have not seen any wifi router yet that does not support 2.4 GHz. Sometimes it is just not activated.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #1,754 of 2,200
Burson conductor 3 has similar sound signature imo, just a bit cleaner, wider soundstage, deeper and tighter bass.
Thanks i am looking for something for Meze Empyrean which want buy. I listened them with Kann Cub and that was awesome. It'd be nice to find something similarly to Kann Cube but stationary and on a higher level. :L3000:

As DAC i think about Matrix X Sabre Pro mqa with converter or used dCS Debussy which is at similar price to Matrix with converter, Matrix PCI-E card and good HDMI cable.

And thanks, maybe Burson will be good. I have to try it.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #1,755 of 2,200

Kind regards
Just tested 30 minute shutoff on the KC I have here and one of our customer service reps tested on a KC he has. Both shut down after 30 minutes without issue on the latest firmware. Do you have any apps open or running in the background? If there is a streaming app open in the background, it would prevent the player from going to sleep most times as they send data in the background, making the player think it is being actively used even if it isn't. You can check and close any streaming apps running by hitting the virtual back button twice on most apps to exit the app when you are finished, or by swiping down from the top of the screen on the home screen. Any apps running in the background will be listed in the notification bar. You can swipe left or right on the app in the notification bar to close it.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back