Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Feb 12, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #1,441 of 2,200
Guys, those of you who have already driven a full size can with the KC? What is your cable configuration and what's your experience? Asking because at this rate, one of the reasons why I am getting this cube is power and I want to know how you guys did it (customized cables etc). Thanks for any input!
I use Senn HD800 with a balanced cable made by https://www.surfcables.com/
My second cable made by them,works good,no complaints.

Feb 12, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #1,442 of 2,200
O
Guys, those of you who have already driven a full size can with the KC? What is your cable configuration and what's your experience? Asking because at this rate, one of the reasons why I am getting this cube is power and I want to know how you guys did it (customized cables etc). Thanks for any input!
Okay "guilty as charged." Hifiman HeKSE, Audeze LCD-4, X, and i4, all driven to very pleasing levels of performance by the KC, adjusting gain when needed. I really see no down sides in this profile of performance. I use mostly silver and copper wire cables from Norne Audio (Silvergarde S3, S, Draugur Silver, and Draug 3), all running in balanced mode via the 2.5mm connector.

Feb 12, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,443 of 2,200
I drive the Verite Closed and the Focal Stellia. Mix of stock cables, UPOCC copper and Silver all 2.5 mm after market and 3.5mm stock

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #1,444 of 2,200
I drive the Verite Closed and the Focal Stellia. Mix of stock cables, UPOCC copper and Silver all 2.5 mm after market and 3.5mm stock
Driving LCD-3 through FAV hybrid series balanced cable.

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #1,445 of 2,200
The hardest-to-drive cans I own are the Modhouse Audio MK3 and Fostex T60RP. The Cube drives these with ease at middle gain.

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #1,446 of 2,200
The hardest-to-drive cans I own are the Modhouse Audio MK3 and Fostex T60RP. The Cube drives these with ease at middle gain.

Wow impressive. I guess my 600 ohms T1.2 won't be a problem then! Thanks guys!

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,447 of 2,200
I’m not sure if people are aware as I’ve read previously about the Kann Cube not charging when being used as a USB dac. I have recently bought a Thunderbolt 3 cable to use with my MacBook Pro 2016 as I was having issues with the usb c one I bought to use with the cube as a usb dac. With this cable I am able to use the cube as a DAC as well as charge at the same time! This is while the MacBook is charging, I have yet to try it without but good news for me either way! 2 birds, 1 stone.

Feb 18, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #1,448 of 2,200
I’m not sure if people are aware as I’ve read previously about the Kann Cube not charging when being used as a USB dac. I have recently bought a Thunderbolt 3 cable to use with my MacBook Pro 2016 as I was having issues with the usb c one I bought to use with the cube as a usb dac. With this cable I am able to use the cube as a DAC as well as charge at the same time! This is while the MacBook is charging, I have yet to try it without but good news for me either way! 2 birds, 1 stone.
How do you know that the Cube is charging while in USB DAC mode? There is no icon for me to check it. I suppose yes, it does charge, just the usb port on the PC does not give enough power to keep it alive forever when it continuously used. However, no confirmation yet from @JasonNYC.

Feb 18, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #1,449 of 2,200
How do you know that the Cube is charging while in USB DAC mode? There is no icon for me to check it. I suppose yes, it does charge, just the usb port on the PC does not give enough power to keep it alive forever when it continuously used. However, no confirmation yet from @JasonNYC.

Because before entering into DAC mode the charge icon appears and I took note of the battery % before and after using. It was 80% when I started and had fully charged once I removed the cable.

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #1,450 of 2,200
@JasonNYC Hi Jason, I'm a new Kann Cube owner. Love the sound, but I seem to have an issue with the External USB storage option. I saw a similar question here on the forum a few times and read your replies. I'm following your advise from earlier posts, but it just doesn't work. I've got a 1 TB Seagate usb Hard Drive (it's an HDD, not SSD) and I'm trying to hook it up to the player using an OTG USB 2.0 type C cable. Seagate hard drive has its own power source, I plug it into the wall outlet. So, I use the OTG cable to connect the player and the external hard drive, then go to the notification bar and see the External USB icon highlighted. Once I tap on the icon and wait for a couple of seconds for it to connect, it shows a small sign under the External USB icon saying "USB Storage". At this moment my Seagate drive starts working and a blue LED indicator on the hard drive turns on, showing that it's up and running. So, it's all good. But then things get confusing. Just like you mentioned in your earlier posts, I was expecting to see a new sign in the notification area, saying a new USB storage was connected. There's no such sign in there. Then I head to the main menu and tap "Folder", which I suppose should have given me two sources of music to choose from: Kann Cube's Internal storage and the external hard drive. But again, the player only shows it's own internal storage, it just doesn't see the external USB drive, so there's no way I can access my music stored on the Seagate HDD.

The Seagate drive has the NTFS file system on it, so I thought this could be the problem. To check this, I hooked up a small 4 GB flash drive that has a FAT32 format. But alas - no luck. Kann Cube demonstrates exactly the same behavior as I described above. So I guess it's not about the file system.

Kann Cube's current firmware version: 1.16 CM (the latest one). Also, I've tried all of the above on the previous firmware version 1.12 CM. Any suggestions on what to do next ? Just want to make sure I have explored all of the options before I go and buy 512 GB microSD card :)

Feb 28, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #1,451 of 2,200
Can anybody help me confirm whether the andromeda hiss with the Kann Cube and how does it perform with sensitive IEMs in general? Thanks!

Feb 28, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #1,452 of 2,200
Can anybody help me confirm whether the andromeda hiss with the Kann Cube and how does it perform with sensitive IEMs in general? Thanks!
I had the Jupiter with the Kann Cube. I think you need to use the single ended output but I don’t remember any hiss.

Feb 28, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #1,454 of 2,200
The Solaris hisses with the Cubes balanced out... I think less so with the single ended but I still remember some. I use the iematch.

Thanks guys! My andromeda sale went through, so no concerns about this pairing anymore and I am now a happy owner of a new Kann Cube!

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #1,455 of 2,200
At long last, DHL decided to deliver my Cube and I immediately connected my 300 ohm, 99 dB/mW sensitivity ZMF Verite. High gain, volume at 75/150, it drives my Verite like a desktop system. I cannot compare to other DAPs, as I don't have anything else at the moment. Crystal clear sound, great sound stage, great body. I need to spend more time with it but I can say, I don't think it will have any issues driving any HP you throw at it to its full potential.

How is the Verite Cube combo treating you? I love my Cube and am just narrrowing down my headphone choices w Verite at top of list. Curious to know what cabling/input you use to connect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back