Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jan 8, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #1,337 of 2,200
Balanced. I switched to blanced for all my headphones. I know that Chord is good with single ended. I briefly tested the single ended on the KC and found it good but balanced was clearly better for my ears.
Thanks! I figured that they may play better with the lower output impedance but it's still pretty low. Guess it's not an issue.

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #1,338 of 2,200
received my purchased kc today and getting familiar with it

trying to install some apk apps (eg tidal) but my imac can not see my kann cube at all (i can't find it anywhere)

have i missed something?
all software is up to date and have reset everything

edit: i should be ok now a i found the android file transfer app that i have not used in about 5 years
(foreign ecosystem)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #1,340 of 2,200
am i right to assume any (looking at 512gb) sandisk or samsung micro sd cards are fine - ie no issue with these

edit: supplementary question:

i assume the speed of the card is no issue for playback purposes

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #1,341 of 2,200
am i right to assume any (looking at 512gb) sandisk or samsung micro sd cards are fine - ie no issue with these

These sandisk ultra cards have been rock solid for my original Kann and the KC, and they actually hit the ground running (no formatting was necessary), and they've been running since day one without breaking a sweat:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SC7BZHR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I also use some of the Samsung Evo cards, but not for DAPs and/or music, so I'd rather not comment, but i do not imagine they'd be bad for this purpose either, frankly.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #1,342 of 2,200
These sandisk ultra cards have been rock solid for my original Kann and the KC, and they actually hit the ground running (no formatting was necessary), and they've running since day one without breaking a sweat:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SC7BZHR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I also use some of the Samsung Evo cards, but not for DAPs and/or music, so I'd rather not comment, but i do not imagine they'd be bad for this purpose either, frankly.
thanks

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #1,343 of 2,200
These sandisk ultra cards have been rock solid for my original Kann and the KC, and they actually hit the ground running (no formatting was necessary), and they've been running since day one without breaking a sweat:

+1

Jan 13, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #1,344 of 2,200

I also love the SanDisk cards. I went with an Ultra Plus and have not had any problems.

One thing that might influence your buying: It seems that there has been a rash of counterfeit SanDisk products sold on Amazon. In some cases these counterfeit cards melted while inside cameras or other products. I’m pretty sure this would void the Kann Cube warranty as clearly this is not A&K’s fault. So you would be out the money for your SD card and probably your Kann Cube does not work any more as well.

Better to do yourself a favor and buy directly from the SanDisk website. Don’t worry that when you type in www.sandisk.com you are redirected to a Western Digital online shop. Western Digital merged with SanDisk several years ago and I guess they want to make it official now.

Also you get a warranty with anything you buy on the Western Digital web site, which likely won’t be the case if you happen to get a counterfeit card from Amazon.

I personally avoid memory cards sold by Samsung as I had many years of photographs saved on a Samsung SD card which then died resulting in a 100% loss of all data. But with music you often have many backups and a single dead SD card would not be a catastrophic loss like it was for me.

Happy listening

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #1,345 of 2,200
I also love the SanDisk cards. I went with an Ultra Plus and have not had any problems.

One thing that might influence your buying: It seems that there has been a rash of counterfeit SanDisk products sold on Amazon. In some cases these counterfeit cards melted while inside cameras or other products. I’m pretty sure this would void the Kann Cube warranty as clearly this is not A&K’s fault. So you would be out the money for your SD card and probably your Kann Cube does not work any more as well.

Better to do yourself a favor and buy directly from the SanDisk website. Don’t worry that when you type in www.sandisk.com you are redirected to a Western Digital online shop. Western Digital merged with SanDisk several years ago and I guess they want to make it official now.

Also you get a warranty with anything you buy on the Western Digital web site, which likely won’t be the case if you happen to get a counterfeit card from Amazon.

I personally avoid memory cards sold by Samsung as I had many years of photographs saved on a Samsung SD card which then died resulting in a 100% loss of all data. But with music you often have many backups and a single dead SD card would not be a catastrophic loss like it was for me.

Happy listening
I’ve used sandisk in the past with no problems.

i’ll give the $32 micro sd cards (512gb) on amazon a miss due to shocking feedback.

but the amazon price of $80 on the sandisk is the same price as adorama and bh photo so i can assume they are legit as there are no other red flags

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #1,346 of 2,200
Yes, KANN CUBE includes a leather case in the retail box. It's similar to the case for the SP1000 AMP. I thought I took some pics of it, but can't find it in the moment. Below are the pics of the SP1000 case. The KANN CUBE has a similar design on the back.
You forced me to reopen the box, but no, there's no leather case anywhere.

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #1,347 of 2,200
No, there is no case with KANN CUBE. At least not for first batches at distributors.

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #1,348 of 2,200
I never saw any case in the retail box of my Kann Cube either, and it has been less than one month since I purchased it.

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #1,349 of 2,200
This problem hit my Cube as well. I am not sure if I was the one who reported it here. It came suddenly. I was so sad, while the unit was quite new, and such a perfect beauty became imperfect. I got used to it after a while, as it was not affecting the functionality.
The same thing happened to my Cube, it was a yucky gritty feeling under the knob, I got some Floro Grease and pulled the little volume knob out and put a sesame seed size dab of the grease under the wheel ( Do not use oil, the grease will not run but the oil will ), let the wheel go and let it rotate a couple of times, smooth as silk again.

https://smile.amazon.com/Finish-Lin...&keywords=flouro+grease&qid=1579192544&sr=8-1

Jan 18, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #1,350 of 2,200
I’ve read some reviews describing the cube’s sound as full

my first impressions do not have me thinking the sound is particularly full/big

did others here think the same before this character developed with burn-in?

if anything my first impression has me describing the mids as slightly restrained and not particularly big and the sound overall quite clean

No doubt that’s also me getting adjusted to the new sound v my desktop setup (auralic taurus and woo wa2 with a metrum nos hex dac)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back