Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Dec 11, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #1,216 of 2,200
Anyone still desiring 2 memory cards the original Kann is on sale now https://www.moon-audio.com/astell-kern-kann-digital-music-media-player.html?utm_campaign=390965_11-25-18 Early Black Friday&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Moon Audio&dm_i=5B5W,8DO5,391701,VJYT,1 . Can't believe they still have these. Less than half the price of the cube and one of the best transports out there.
This is down to 620 now so they are obviously trying to clear this out finally. Great transport with 2 memory cards.

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #1,218 of 2,200
The charging occurs through usbc and the playing occurs through a micro usb connection so yes. The catch to playing on the kann (and I think any a&k dac) is you have to manually turn on the external dac function through the menu item. Its not autosensing and the menu's are a bit of a pain. My other choice would be ibasso dx220. Having said that the 2go is supposed to be announced imminently so who knows.

Dec 12, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #1,220 of 2,200
For the people who have the SP1000M what are its competitors sonically. I have the Kann Cube and am looking for a solution that i can also carry in my pocket.

I used to have SR15 then moved to Kann Cube but really this was too big for me. I biz travel a lot. And then - moved to SP1000M. Perfect sound and best size to battery/screen ratio. Not to mention that its SQ is better.
Go for this, you will not regret.

Dec 12, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #1,222 of 2,200
Happy Holidays!

How is everyone enjoying their Kann Cubes? Any regrets? Lastly, how is the sound quality versus the Ibasso DX220?

I've had my Kann Cube for a couple of weeks. I initially had a long list of things I didn't like. My opinion is changing.

At first, the Kann Cube seemed ruthlessly unforgiving of poor recordings but now it does not. It isn't just about rediscovering the music I love, it is about discovering music I did not appreciate before.

I thought I was buying a player for acoustic and classical. Last night, I was listening to King Crimson Volkshaus Zurich Switzerland, 1995-05-06 (2cd) and heard detail in the electric guitar distortion that amazed me. I stayed up too late last night listening to every note. Zero ear fatigue; slept like a baby; couldn't wait to listen again.

I've transitioned to running the amp in hi-gain mode with the volume lower and I hear even more detail. The Kann Cube warns that doing so will drain the battery quickly but I don't care because I like what I hear. One hour of 16bit flac music used 10% battery.

I found a $32 silicon case, https://www.amazon.com/BestforYou-T..._1_9?keywords=kann+cube&qid=1576195677&sr=8-9, that was sent over to me from China. This softens the sharp corners and makes the Kann Cube easy to hold and travel-worthy for me. I'm on an airplane listening to it now.

I have not heard the DX220.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #1,223 of 2,200
Can you play when it charging?

Yes. I charge and listen when it is convenient to do so. I also transfer new music from my computer to the Kann Cube via USB while listening to music. Unlike my phone and other music players I've had, the Kann Cube does not "mount" as a drive letter when connected to my Windows 10 computer. When I'm done copying the new music, I disconnect the USB cable and continue listening without interruption.

Dec 13, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #1,225 of 2,200
I've transitioned to running the amp in hi-gain mode with the volume lower and I hear even more detail.
I am using Kann Cube with Campfire Vega and was surprised how much Vega improved with high gain. Vega has a bass quantity and extension that, if not properly controlled by an amp, may become too much or a bit loose.
It's is a low impedance and pretty sensitive earphone but I discovered that Vega likes power. And Kann Cube is perfect for that.

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #1,226 of 2,200
I've had my Kann Cube for a couple of weeks. I initially had a long list of things I didn't like. My opinion is changing.

At first, the Kann Cube seemed ruthlessly unforgiving of poor recordings but now it does not. It isn't just about rediscovering the music I love, it is about discovering music I did not appreciate before.

I thought I was buying a player for acoustic and classical. Last night, I was listening to King Crimson Volkshaus Zurich Switzerland, 1995-05-06 (2cd) and heard detail in the electric guitar distortion that amazed me. I stayed up too late last night listening to every note. Zero ear fatigue; slept like a baby; couldn't wait to listen again.

I've transitioned to running the amp in hi-gain mode with the volume lower and I hear even more detail. The Kann Cube warns that doing so will drain the battery quickly but I don't care because I like what I hear. One hour of 16bit flac music used 10% battery.

I found a $32 silicon case, https://www.amazon.com/BestforYou-T..._1_9?keywords=kann+cube&qid=1576195677&sr=8-9, that was sent over to me from China. This softens the sharp corners and makes the Kann Cube easy to hold and travel-worthy for me. I'm on an airplane listening to it now.

I have not heard the DX220.
What headphones are you using?

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #1,227 of 2,200
What headphones are you using?

IEM: Andromeda S, FH5, KSE1200 Shure
Headphones: Focal Clear, Meze Emperyan, Sony Z1R, NightOwl and had ether flow 1.1 but sold to get Meze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back