Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jul 28, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #586 of 2,200
One is the A&K optimized native Tidal

The other the android sideloaded version of Tidal.

Therefore it begs to question the other sideloaded apps... QOBUZ included... are not optimized by A&K... therefore are there SQ differences???

To me it sounds like the native Tidal sounds better than the sideloaded version.

I hope not. It seems like the Native app does not allow for downloading tracks for offline playback, right?

Jul 28, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #587 of 2,200
Can anyone help me with the questions?
1. The instructions say you shouldn't charge the Kann cube with a 12v power supply. So does this mean I can't recharge it on the road? Is using a 110v power inverter in the car any better?
2. I am having trouble finding a power supply that meets the fast charge power specs that isn't cheap and unreliable, any recommendations on a quality fast charger?
3. I can't find a 5 pin mini XLR to RCA cable to use with my Hi fi anywhere. Do they even exist?
THANKS!

Jul 28, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #588 of 2,200
1. You need a cigarette lighter voltage converter that reduces the car's 12-14V DC to 5V DC and a USB A to USB C cable (like the one that came with your KANN CUBE).

2. Go to Amazon or some other electronics retailer and search for:

Adaptive Fast Charging Wall Charger Adapter Compatible Samsung Galaxy S6 S7 S8 S9 S10 / Edge/Plus/Active, Note 5,Note 8, Note 9,LG G5 G6 G7 V20 V30 ThinQ Plus EP-TA20JBE Quick Charge with the following Specification: Input 100-240v / Output 9v = 1. 67a or 5. 0v = 2. 0a. (You can find them at $10.99 for a 2 Pack.)

3. A&K is about to release one for Standard XLR connectors but it will be exorbitantly expensive (big surprise not). Otherwise, try Moon Audio for delivery now but they are also expensive, Google for it, or commission one. Depending on what you get, you may then need XLR to RCA converters. It is far simpler to use the 4 pole 2.5mm TRRS or 3 pole 3.5mm TRS CUBE outputs and obtain a cable with a 4 pole male 2.5mm TRRS or 3 pole 3.5mm male TRS connector at the CUBE end and either two RCA male connectors at the other end for your preamp or one 3 pole 3.5mm male TRS connector at the other end to connect to your car's analog input. (Set the CUBE's amp to low gain)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #590 of 2,200
For those that don't like the straight pin type connector going into the balanced port you could try a right angled connector.They are much more resistant to bending or breaking.

I had mine made for me for my Senn HD800, and the first one(straight pin),was broken within a couple of weeks.Then I had another one made with the 90 degree connector and no problems at all.I never take it out of my Cube and never took it out of my KANN when I used it.

Oh and I used Sugru to fix the broken pin so that I could use it until the 90 degree cable arrived.I molded the Sugru around the pin and onto the surface around the pin port and let it harden.No movement at all.When I removed the Sugru there was no residue left on the KANN and the Sugru did the job of holding the broken pin in place so I could at least use it until I got the new cable.

Sugru is moldable glue.

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #592 of 2,200
I have used sugru in many applications . Good stuff! But the 2.5mm is...omg....the 4.4mm would be much better or if the mini XLR could be used instead
Sennheiser makes a XLR cable as an accessory but there is one problem,the Cube doesn't use that kind of connection for headphones.Oh well,I'm not going to sweat it ,my cable is working fine and the Cube fits nicely in my vest pocket with the cable able to move if needed.

Jul 29, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #594 of 2,200
Is possible to use 5 pin mini xlr for headphones on kann cube?
No, that is a balanced line output to amplifiers.

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #600 of 2,200
For those that don't like the straight pin type connector going into the balanced port you could try a right angled connector.They are much more resistant to bending or breaking.

I had mine made for me for my Senn HD800, and the first one(straight pin),was broken within a couple of weeks.Then I had another one made with the 90 degree connector and no problems at all.I never take it out of my Cube and never took it out of my KANN when I used it.

Oh and I used Sugru to fix the broken pin so that I could use it until the 90 degree cable arrived.I molded the Sugru around the pin and onto the surface around the pin port and let it harden.No movement at all.When I removed the Sugru there was no residue left on the KANN and the Sugru did the job of holding the broken pin in place so I could at least use it until I got the new cable.

Sugru is moldable glue.
Im looking for a 4.4mm to 2.5mm angled adapter 2.5mm being male ofc. Anyone find one ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back