Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Apr 26, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #31 of 2,200
There’s a review up on Inner Fidelity: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/astell-kern-kann-cube-review

I’ve got a Cowon Plenue 2 mk II on the way, so aren’t in the market anymore and won’t be buying the Cube, but am surprised by its arrival, like others here. Surprised in a good way, that is: two ES9038PRO chips!? That’s crazy, they have 8 channels each! Sometimes crazy really pays off.

I didn’t like the SR15 and sold it within a few months of buying; from the Inner Fidelity review the weak bass and body of the SR15 has been addressed. I heard an SE100 in store and felt it was a much better sound experience, so if the Cube is similar it would tick all I’d need from a DAP: good sound, all the power you’d ever need, Bluetooth, USB DAC etc. The microSD offers huge memory support too, so the internal memory isn’t so much of a thing these days.

I’m not surprised AK stuck with the 2.5mm balanced either - all their lineup has 2.5mm so for AK fans already in their product sphere there’d be complaints if they dropped 2.5 and caused their fans to have to reterminate or use an adapter. At best I’d think AK would offer both, but I don’t see them dropping it anytime soon.

Apr 26, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #32 of 2,200
Moon Audio been selling cables terminated with mini 5-pin XLR for ages. They call it "switchcraft". You might want to look into that.

this one is 5 pin xlr.

Apr 26, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #33 of 2,200
For all of those who asked for 4.4 just a reminder that AK is the one who comes up with the 2.5 balanced standard and thus will not choose to support a rival balanced standard until it gives up its own 2.5 balanced standard.

For a dedicated line out or even phone/line combo, I figure you might as well go for a 4-pin XLR (super standard, great reliability). The 5-pin has no existing support and isn't inherently better than the 4.4 at anything.

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #34 of 2,200
While good looks don't have anything to do with sound I think this player looks good.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #35 of 2,200
Also I'm confused as to where this places in the lineup. I'd put it above the SE100 judging by specs, but it's $200 cheaper. Hell, I even would've thought it was a flagship if it weren't for the fact it uses the same DAC as the SE100.

purpose built maybe? different audience. for most iem users the se100 will be enough, how about the power hungry headphone lovers maybe?

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #36 of 2,200
An almost half a kilo dap with a fragile 2.5mm balance connector is just disaster waiting to happen. I see no point in AK not wanting to adapt the 4.4mm balance standard. If real-estate is an issue, this DAP is certainly large enough to support it.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #37 of 2,200
my question is where I can find 5pin mini xlr plug for making a adapter 4.4 to 5 pin xlr?
Don't worry, I'm sure AK will soon develop one and sell it at a nice premium. I honestly dislike all this new portable standard, a simple 4.4mm pentanon female out connector would have worked much more eloquently.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #38 of 2,200
An almost half a kilo dap with a fragile 2.5mm balance connector is just disaster waiting to happen. I see no point in AK not wanting to adapt the 4.4mm balance standard. If real-estate is an issue, this DAP is certainly large enough to support it.

So I wonder, will audio technicians be willing to modify the dap with a 4.4 connector?

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #39 of 2,200
So I wonder, will audio technicians be willing to modify the dap with a 4.4 connector?

Can but it comes with loss of warranty.

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #40 of 2,200
It is not impossible but comes at a cost. A cost that could have simply be avoided if AK was willing to let go of their beloved 2.5mm standard for the good of the community.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #41 of 2,200
It is not impossible but comes at a cost. A cost that could have simply be avoided if AK was willing to let go of their beloved 2.5mm standard for the good of the community.
To be honest I don't think AK even needs to get rid of 2.5mm, they could include both connectors and everyone will be happy.

Apr 27, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #42 of 2,200
Looks cool, will test it out at CanJam if it's there. As others: prefer 4.4 but OK, only 9hr playtime - surely a low power mode for IEM use with double battery life would be a good addition (batt life is my No.1 requirement for a dap), why is the xlr coming out the side? the cable/plug will get snagged all the time while taking it in/out of pockets - if the xlr was top facing and balance I would be all in.

Apr 27, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #43 of 2,200
Looks cool, will test it out at CanJam if it's there. As others: prefer 4.4 but OK, only 9hr playtime - surely a low power mode for IEM use with double battery life would be a good addition (batt life is my No.1 requirement for a dap), why is the xlr coming out the side? the cable/plug will get snagged all the time while taking it in/out of pockets - if the xlr was top facing and balance I would be all in.
The XLR seems to a line out only, intended for use with home stereos - there’s a wiring scheme on the AK website showing no volume control on the XLR: https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...scg=CG210210&spos=3&tcg=&tpos=0&gcode=SC35560

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #44 of 2,200
Apr 27, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #45 of 2,200
I have tried ak kann cube from dealer's shop. I think it shared same tonality as SE100 but a little warmer than SE100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back