Astell&Kern/JH Audio Billie Jean Impressions
Jul 24, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #31 of 71
Too early for big opinions, but the more I listen to them, the more I enjoy them. They need a nice dac/amp, they aren't forgiving.

20180724_223752.jpg

Jul 24, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #32 of 71
Too early for big opinions, but the more I listen to them, the more I enjoy them. They need a nice dac/amp, they aren't forgiving.

Oh nice u got them too

You are right in your deductions. In fact on my X3 Gen 1, it sounds horrible with these the gain set to high. On low they are easily 20% better; now I have to listen to them all over again hahaha.

Was even contemplating upgrading to the new X3 Gen 3 or X5 Gen 3 but oh well we’ll see =S

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #35 of 71

That’s a little worrying, I haven’t got to the point yet where I’ve upgraded my amp. I am still going straight out of an iPhone 6s is that a bad word?!! I hope they sound ok straight from the phone.

Jul 25, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #36 of 71
That’s a little worrying, I haven’t got to the point yet where I’ve upgraded my amp. I am still going straight out of an iPhone 6s is that a bad word?!! I hope they sound ok straight from the phone.

They actually sounded nice and interesting from my S9+, the bass was artificial but I wouldn't notice, if wasn't just comparing it on different amps.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #40 of 71
well i emailed Comply and apparently no current model will fit them it seems..
Nice one. That’s a shame.

I just got the Billie jeans and I am loving them. Although as other people have said they are not very forgiving. They really seem to show up bad music production. Some tracks don’t sound great on them. I’m only playing them out of an iPhone 6s and they sound very lively, the treble is maybe the weak part as it sounds on the edge of sibalance sometimes but I’m guessing it cause I’m playing them off the iPhone.

Oh no might have to buy an amp!

Speraration excellent and detail brilliant. A definite setup from my Westone um3x!

I’d like to try them with foam tips though as that is what I’m use to.

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #41 of 71
Nice one. That’s a shame.

I just got the Billie jeans and I am loving them. Although as other people have said they are not very forgiving. They really seem to show up bad music production. Some tracks don’t sound great on them. I’m only playing them out of an iPhone 6s and they sound very lively, the treble is maybe the weak part as it sounds on the edge of sibalance sometimes but I’m guessing it cause I’m playing them off the iPhone.

Oh no might have to buy an amp!

Speraration excellent and detail brilliant. A definite setup from my Westone um3x!

I’d like to try them with foam tips though as that is what I’m use to.

i concur, most of the albums don't really show up too well on the BJ as it's not as well done as say MJ's for example. On some tracks like Simple Plan's Your Love is a Lie, the highs from cymbals are piercing. Anyhow since my DAP died, perhaps i can find something that pairs well. On my iPhone X i do also get some sibilance depending on the song but other than that, i do like the mids in particular along w the details like you mentioned

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #42 of 71
i concur, most of the albums don't really show up too well on the BJ as it's not as well done as say MJ's for example. On some tracks like Simple Plan's Your Love is a Lie, the highs from cymbals are piercing. Anyhow since my DAP died, perhaps i can find something that pairs well. On my iPhone X i do also get some sibilance depending on the song but other than that, i do like the mids in particular along w the details like you mentioned

I’ve tried a few other headphones over the last week and I kind of think the BJs are like Ducati motorbikes in that they are not perfect but they are exciting and have character that you end up loving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back