Astell&Kern/JH Audio Billie Jean Impressions
Apr 30, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #16 of 71
I understand that the Billie Jeans are a smaller IEM in size compared to the Michelle?

Apr 30, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #17 of 71
I may have to pull the trigger and get me some of these and replace my Fischer Amps.

As always, please do audition them if you can. I believe that A&K's dealers are expecting demo units shortly... perhaps there is one near you? If you do get a chance to hear them, I'd love to read your impressions as well! :slight_smile:

is it better than the michelle limited editions?

I wish I could say, but I haven't had much experience with the Michelle at all, Limited or otherwise. If you're not in a rush, I'd be happy to request an old Michelle demo unit from A&K, and then AB it with my new Billie Jean as soon as it arrives?

The combination of your review and that price has me super interested in these - for my wife if not for me. Can you tell us about soundstage size and precision?

:smile: I was very much hoping that somebody from the festival would chime in on this, because I heard something very specific with regards to staging, and I wanted to see if others heard it as well.

So, for me, the staging was fairly nondescript in the lower frequencies. Nothing stood out. But then, starting in the lower mids, wow did it open up! It was extremely open and airy for me. Imagine a funnel representing soundstage... the spout would be the sub-bass and bass at the bottom, while the cone of the funnel would be the mids through the highs. I am still VERY curious to see if anybody else experienced this... if you see this and you have as well, please let me know?

May 1, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #18 of 71
well if you're looking at bang for your buck i would say the michele LTD is more worth it. for me the billie jeans sound was more to my liking compared to michelle well that and its very light in weight

May 1, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #19 of 71
Can you comment as to comparing with Etymotic’s? I am finally going to upgrade away from my trusty but ancient Shure e2c’s and I’m thinking that $400 is about my limit

May 1, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #20 of 71
Awesome post and review, Warren! Now I'm super-pissed that I didn't give these a listen at CanJam. I won't make that mistake twice!

Thanks! :slight_smile: I'm pretty sure TSAV is an A&K dealer... wonder when they'll be getting demos in?

Having listened to dual BA like hum prisitine , sd2 and q-jays I believe the push for more driver isn't necessary for better sound, there is still more left to exract from simpler driver confirmation.

I completely agree!

I actually tried these at the head phone fes here in japan yesterday and today and for being only 2ba i was very surprised at the sound.
There is bass and its like the punchy enjoyable bass compared with Michelle honestly it gives michelle a run for its money they did a really good job with these and i am getting one for myself and my girlfriend

Right? I did not expect to be told it was a dual-BA at all.

I understand that the Billie Jeans are a smaller IEM in size compared to the Michelle?

They are approximately 30% smaller by volume, I was told.

May 4, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #21 of 71
I’m really curious about these after reading your impressions. Just the way you described the midrange makes me wanna preorder these immediately!

I just wanted to know what source you used while testing them and if they’d work well on a lower-powered source such as an iPhone. I haven’t had much luck with BA earphones (they’re usually extremely harsh to my ears, even the well-reviewed ones) and I’m hoping the Billie Jeans aren’t super source dependent.

May 8, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #22 of 71
for me the billie jeans sound was more to my liking compared to michelle well that and its very light in weight

For me as well. :slight_smile:

Can you comment as to comparing with Etymotic’s? I am finally going to upgrade away from my trusty but ancient Shure e2c’s and I’m thinking that $400 is about my limit

The last Ety I used was an ER-4PT, which is from some time ago. But compared to that, I'd say the Billie Jean is very different sounding. Extension is far better at both ends, and it doesn't have a pronounced mid-range hump.

I’m really curious about these after reading your impressions. Just the way you described the midrange makes me wanna preorder these immediately! I just wanted to know what source you used while testing them and if they’d work well on a lower-powered source such as an iPhone. I haven’t had much luck with BA earphones (they’re usually extremely harsh to my ears, even the well-reviewed ones) and I’m hoping the Billie Jeans aren’t super source dependent.

Unfortunately, Owen did not warn me as to what I'd be listening too, so I had to overkill it and use the SP-1000 i had on me! :laughing:

May 10, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #23 of 71
I had my Ak70 MKII's and my pioneer xdp-30r on me for testing if you can try before buying i would say thats the best thing to do.
Fortunately here in japan they do allow that since they have demo units

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #25 of 71
Would absolutely love to know how these fair against the Heir Audio 3.ai S and Etymotic ER4XR; will be picking up either a cheaper Campfire Comet or one of the above..much appreciated guys!

Jul 15, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #27 of 71

Users who are viewing this thread

Back