Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Sep 1, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #856 of 1,190
After a couple of days of listening, bass has tightened up, mids and highs are becoming more prominent. Overall I welcome the change of SQ, it has become a bit more engaging instead of super laid back like the mk1. Soundstage feels a bit shorter than the mk1 though, I don't know why.

The yin and the yang :sweat_smile:

Sep 4, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #857 of 1,190
I was most unfortunately without my Chord Mojo for several weeks and I tried to listen to music but the 'reduced data' was unpleasant.  It sounded as if someone had taken out instruments, and muffled some others. I stopped altogether until Mojo returned. 

Back, I am once again enjoying this little marvels, the AK T8ie.   (1st gen).   Once I replaced the cable, thinking I could not be more impressed, I was proven wrong, and the new silver cable was also 12" longer which was nice for the treadmill and sharing the Mojo. 

I have been so impressed with the sound quality of the T8 that I have not focused much on the ergonomic comfort that others here have referenced.  Although I have compared it to other quality in ear monitors, it is only when I realized how many hours have gone by without discomfort, that I considered how comfortable these are.  

I have a very lengthy flight travel coming up; so much so that I will have a small power bank at the ready and in flight, I probably won't remove the T8 sans answering a question from flight attendant.  It is that comfortable. 

Having missed listening for a while, it is such a pleasure to hear detailed, clean, 'fidelity' sound again.  Having been frightened by the reports of something amiss in first gen, I would not have hesitated to get the 2nd gen, and am glad to read of those enjoying them.  These are listening marvels with all day comfort! 

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #858 of 1,190
  I was most unfortunately without my Chord Mojo for several weeks and I tried to listen to music but the 'reduced data' was unpleasant.  It sounded as if someone had taken out instruments, and muffled some others. I stopped altogether until Mojo returned. 

Back, I am once again enjoying this little marvels, the AK T8ie.   (1st gen).   Once I replaced the cable, thinking I could not be more impressed, I was proven wrong, and the new silver cable was also 12" longer which was nice for the treadmill and sharing the Mojo. 

I have been so impressed with the sound quality of the T8 that I have not focused much on the ergonomic comfort that others here have referenced.  Although I have compared it to other quality in ear monitors, it is only when I realized how many hours have gone by without discomfort, that I considered how comfortable these are.  

I have a very lengthy flight travel coming up; so much so that I will have a small power bank at the ready and in flight, I probably won't remove the T8 sans answering a question from flight attendant.  It is that comfortable. 

Having missed listening for a while, it is such a pleasure to hear detailed, clean, 'fidelity' sound again.  Having been frightened by the reports of something amiss in first gen, I would not have hesitated to get the 2nd gen, and am glad to read of those enjoying them.  These are listening marvels with all day comfort! 

Hi Peter, i´m interested in the T8ie too. Especially i have the MOJO with the T5p 1 and 2 Gen. I have currently the DT1770 for sale because i´m just so used to the other both Beyers. Now for the work i want even IEMs. The ones from Apple are hardly to handle. How would you describe the sound. Are the T8 in the same direction like the T5s or the T1. Thanks

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #859 of 1,190
Hi Peter, i´m interested in the T8ie too. Especially i have the MOJO with the T5p 1 and 2 Gen. I have currently the DT1770 for sale because i´m just so used to the other both Beyers. Now for the work i want even IEMs. The ones from Apple are hardly to handle. How would you describe the sound. Are the T8 in the same direction like the T5s or the T1. Thanks

For me, it really is the only IEM that matches the Beyer I've tested T1, T5, and 1.2 and love them all.

The T8 matches the fidelity and beauty of the T1.2 that I have.

With Mojo, they are pure bliss.

The Beyerdynamic top of the line spoils the listener. I was dissatisfied with everything I tried until T8.

I wanted "that" sound in in ear monitors.

The T8 is just as good. I didn't think it would be this clear, defined and comfortable.

I love them.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #860 of 1,190
Thus far,

have we had any reported issues with Mk II?

It seems not. 

It also seems that those who got Version 1 replaced, no longer report issues. 

I was one who had to replace one of ours (the warranty was followed and this was before the II came out), but we've had no issues since.

Others finding no issues as well?

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #862 of 1,190
My MK1 is holding on despite about 8 cable changes for testing/endurance purposes.
I had sound seizures with one cable having a loose left connector, but it was on the cable side, not the IEMs.

Sep 11, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #864 of 1,190
Knock on wood my last replacement is good, mmcx is still loss but I am told it is to ensure it isn't to tight to reduce wear.

I will enjoy them but I just cannot simply be an open endorser of this particular model, I just can't risk it.

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #865 of 1,190
I think MK2 has less failures than the MK1. The only return & replacement I've seen on MK2 was my friend's one with a loose MMCX connector that kept on popping off easily, and eventually started losing contact.

Generally the MK2's MMCX seems a little looser and rotates around much easier than the MK1, but I also found that many aftermarket cables that didn't work with my MK1 (no sound), did work with the MK2, so there are pros and cons.

I still have my original MK1 T8iE (the third unit under replacement, with a green sticker) and that has been working flawlessly so I guess they really solved the initial issues.

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #866 of 1,190
Hello everyone... Thank you all for all the wonderful insights. I recently bought a pair of AK JH Rosie but the right ear became "quieter" (4 dB lower) compared to the left ear. My retailer has given me three options: (1) Wait and have the Rosie's sent back to JH for repairs or replacement (2) Even replacement with Angie v1 as they have it in stock   (3) Even replacement with t8ie mkii... I'm thinking about going the 3rd route. Would the t8ie mkii's be a step up or down from the rosie's? I know it is a matter of taste but here is what I typically listen to: Classic,Alternative, Progressive Rock + Pop-Rock... I am also beginning to appreciate some Jazz... How would the t8ie mkii's work out for my preference? Thank you all :)

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #867 of 1,190
I would also like to point out that I will be using an iPhone and Mojo. I was considering buying an AK70 to use with Mojo but thought that I can already achieve higher quality via my iphone and Mojo setup. So please take this in consideration when helping me choose one of the three option above. Thank you in advance :)

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #868 of 1,190

Did you find one you feel is the best match?

I'm not a big fan of cable replacement (I mainly believe in limitations due to insufficient cable diameter), but the stock cables of the MK1 are just terrible.
I have an old selection of sub-100$ mmcx cables, so I know what to expect from them, I have never seen cables reacting differently depending on the IEMs, they just alter sound in ways that are more or less compatible with the IEM signature.

As usual, having a slightly bigger cable diameter helped avoiding any roll-off in the treble (which is why I say the flimsy stock cables suck).
I find pure OCC copper cable to give a slight bass boost (not highly needed for the T8ie).
Pure silver tend to slight lower bass impact and makes treble more airy, which I didn't like at all with T8ie, since they already have relatively bright treble.
Silver-plated copper cable have my preference since they don't denature the original IEM sound signature overall.

For usability on the go, I ended up using the balanced FiiO MMCX cable, it's light and flexible. I have a much thicker silver-plated cable at home which sounds very slightly better, but it's too rigid and prone to microphonics for walking/jogging.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #869 of 1,190
The Linum product are also worth checking out but the best cable are the crystal cable upgrade. I am not ready to spend that kind of money yet on a cable.

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #870 of 1,190
  Hello everyone... Thank you all for all the wonderful insights. I recently bought a pair of AK JH Rosie but the right ear became "quieter" (4 dB lower) compared to the left ear. My retailer has given me three options: (1) Wait and have the Rosie's sent back to JH for repairs or replacement (2) Even replacement with Angie v1 as they have it in stock   (3) Even replacement with t8ie mkii... I'm thinking about going the 3rd route. Would the t8ie mkii's be a step up or down from the rosie's? I know it is a matter of taste but here is what I typically listen to: Classic,Alternative, Progressive Rock + Pop-Rock... I am also beginning to appreciate some Jazz... How would the t8ie mkii's work out for my preference? Thank you all :)

You likely already know my choice here, but JH has a great reputation for fine work, so I don't think you could go wrong.  

If you have heard Beyerdynamic T1 or T5, you have insight into what you may hear with the T8.  

As to the T8 with iPhone and Mojo?

Pure musical fidelity bliss!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back