Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Sep 13, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #871 of 1,190
These T8ie never fails to impress me.
I'm currently reviewing 2 Rose IEM models, and although they have some obvious qualities, the T8ie deserves every single of the 700 Euros that I paid.

Getting this kind of soundstage and detail with just ONE driver is amazing, the Rosie's feel lifeless in comparison (unless you're after a more analytical signature).

As Peter said above, you can't really go wrong with the T8ie (especially mk2 with better QC).
Angies v1 are also a nice option in terms of signature (more polite treble, moaaaaar bass rumble, awesome mids), but their ergonomy is just terrible due to their humongous size. Too bad they can't offer you Angies version 2.

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #872 of 1,190
The T8ie allow me the most hours of any listening.  I often get 'lost' in work, and just as 'lost' in music.  With the T8, I sometimes don't remove them at lunch or other breaks, when I am working alone.  

The T1 is very comfortable but the T8 gets to a point where I almost don't notice them in.  Having a 1' longer silver cord has been nice for exercising.  I am looking forward to receiving the Mojo module for even better mobility.  

I have those 'wow' moments of clarity and soundstage.  

Yesterday, I purchased a Springsteen concert in Apple Lossless from their site and the soundstage was beautiful, while the opening had a strings accompaniment in "New York City Serenade."  

What surprised me was that during this, using T8 and Mojo, I could hear the acoustic guitars very slight background, while the strings sounded distinctive.  

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #873 of 1,190
Hi! Newbie here, but having seen and tried the AKT8ie MkII, and am very interested in them. Anyone can give me a heads up on any issues I should take note of? Also, any differences between the MkI and MkII? I'm looking at saving up to get one soon :)

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #874 of 1,190
Hi! Newbie here, but having seen and tried the AKT8ie MkII, and am very interested in them. Anyone can give me a heads up on any issues I should take note of? Also, any differences between the MkI and MkII? I'm looking at saving up to get one soon
smily_headphones1.gif

There has not that many issues reported on MK2 yet which is significant (e.g. driver failing). I believe the MK1 issues were mostly resolved. As for the difference, The MK1 is a bit warmer than MK2 but generally similar.

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #875 of 1,190
There has not that many issues reported on MK2 yet which is significant (e.g. driver failing). I believe the MK1 issues were mostly resolved. As for the difference, The MK1 is a bit warmer than MK2 but generally similar.

This is also what is my view. The issue with mk2 is mmcx which I have noticed oddly been fixed after usage.

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #876 of 1,190
This is also what is my view. The issue with mk2 is mmcx which I have noticed oddly been fixed after usage.

Thanks for the help! Is it worth getting it soon, considering it's still rather new? Or wait a while until I can find a good deal? (And possibly avoid any first batch issues)

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #877 of 1,190
Thanks for the help! Is it worth getting it soon, considering it's still rather new? Or wait a while until I can find a good deal? (And possibly avoid any first batch issues)

How much do you like it? For me it was worth the production risk and took the plunge on MK2 based on what I heard from MK1. 

If you only worry about production issues then I think it's fine. I have been using mine everyday for the last 2 months. From where I am the full-retail price of MK1 is actually a bit more expensive than MK2. The shop where I usually buy my stuff offered the MK1 on a discount but isn't substantial enough to take the plunge. So it might take a while before you see MK2 discounted. 

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #878 of 1,190
How much do you like it? For me it was worth the production risk and took the plunge on MK2 based on what I heard from MK1. 

If you only worry about production issues then I think it's fine. I have been using mine everyday for the last 2 months. From where I am the full-retail price of MK1 is actually a bit more expensive than MK2. The shop where I usually buy my stuff offered the MK1 on a discount but isn't substantial enough to take the plunge. So it might take a while before you see MK2 discounted. 

I absolutely adore them, but the price is a scary figure, for sure. Ah, how much did you get them for, roughly? I found a retailer selling them at $1.5k SGD, which is quite a fair sum.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #879 of 1,190
I absolutely adore them, but the price is a scary figure, for sure. Ah, how much did you get them for, roughly? I found a retailer selling them at $1.5k SGD, which is quite a fair sum.

It is scary but I think once you enter the world of high end equipment, you become de-sensitized.  

Another way is to lose money and become desensitized by buying IEM for about half, selling it, buying a more expensive one, selling it, and then, with the losses, just buying the one you wanted!

How I look at it is this:  The hobby and enjoyment of music means more to us than other people who will spend serious money on things we may not.   I just opened my own business 2+ years ago so the timing could not be worse.  My wife and I cut back on other things, including tossing out satellite TV as we made music a priority.  We even sold some things on eBay.  

I did a lot of research, got great advice here, and bought some things from Amazon warehouse, which means it is open box and with free returns.  It allows for testing of items without causing loss to the company.  We finally decided that stepping up, selling with losses, did not make sense and just to get to the level of excellence.  Beyerdynamic, Chord Mojo, and so on...these are top products where the benefits of spending more money become less dramatic (sans DAVE) or noticeable.  Buying two sets of T8, even with the original scare of the first run, was not easy but we have not regretted the decision especially  since Mojo has two ports for sharing.  It's a blast with the T8ie.  We alternate choices of music, and sometimes a tad difference on volume, but the fidelity of the combination of T8 and Mojo is stunning.  It does not grow old.  It has brought back entire music catalogs I thought I would never return to, due to overuse.  They sound new, now.  

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #880 of 1,190
It is scary but I think once you enter the world of high end equipment, you become de-sensitized.  

Another way is to lose money and become desensitized by buying IEM for about half, selling it, buying a more expensive one, selling it, and then, with the losses, just buying the one you wanted!

How I look at it is this:  The hobby and enjoyment of music means more to us than other people who will spend serious money on things we may not.   I just opened my own business 2+ years ago so the timing could not be worse.  My wife and I cut back on other things, including tossing out satellite TV as we made music a priority.  We even sold some things on eBay.  

I did a lot of research, got great advice here, and bought some things from Amazon warehouse, which means it is open box and with free returns.  It allows for testing of items without causing loss to the company.  We finally decided that stepping up, selling with losses, did not make sense and just to get to the level of excellence.  Beyerdynamic, Chord Mojo, and so on...these are top products where the benefits of spending more money become less dramatic (sans DAVE) or noticeable.  Buying two sets of T8, even with the original scare of the first run, was not easy but we have not regretted the decision especially  since Mojo has two ports for sharing.  It's a blast with the T8ie.  We alternate choices of music, and sometimes a tad difference on volume, but the fidelity of the combination of T8 and Mojo is stunning.  It does not grow old.  It has brought back entire music catalogs I thought I would never return to, due to overuse.  They sound new, now.  

I have to agree with you on the fact that my music means a lot to me, but I'd consider myself rather new, and an amateur at that, so I feel that my tastes and opinions have yet to mature to a stage where it'd be significant and justifiable for ke to blow that much on an IEM. That being said, I too am a recently graduated student, currently serving my 2 year compulsary stint in the Army, and my allowance is pitiful, so saving up is going to take a huge effort and much time as well. Also, I recently made a purchase for a different IEM at £400, so perhaps I should wait a while before jumping to my next one.

I do very much love the T8ie, and it's brought me ears to nirvana in just 30 minutes. Still, should I be worried about getting upgrades in other aspects first, like a properly powerful DAP and music files and such? All I have now is my Sony Z5 smartphone and a Fiio X1 gen 1. Such a dilemma :frowning2:

Thank you, however, for the input! I'm already halfway down the way of losing my sense in audio goodness. :)

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #881 of 1,190

They offered the MK1 at roughly 1.4K. You don't need anything fancy to drive the T8. Just watch out for a source (DAP/amp) with a very high output impedance. Since the T8 is only a 16 ohm load. Anything higher than 2 Ohms might have a big enough influence in it's FR curve to be noticeable.

I think this is why I like it on a balanced out of AK320 than the single-ended. Not because the balanced out has a bit more power output.

The Mojo/Hugo just sounds stunning on T8. The Fiio DAPs also works well on T8. So aside from the OI, you have to consider other priorities you may have but don't worry about power.

Sep 15, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #882 of 1,190
They offered the MK1 at roughly 1.4K. You don't need anything fancy to drive the T8. Just watch out for a source (DAP/amp) with a very high output impedance. Since the T8 is only a 16 ohm load. Anything higher than 2 Ohms might have a big enough influence in it's FR curve to be noticeable.

I think this is why I like it on a balanced out of AK320 than the single-ended. Not because the balanced out has a bit more power output.

The Mojo/Hugo just sounds stunning on T8. The Fiio DAPs also works well on T8. So aside from the OI, you have to consider other priorities you may have but don't worry about power.

Awesome! Thanks headwhacker :) also a big thanks to all the contributors in this thread, I shall begin saving up slowly and pray for a nice Christmas discount before the year ends :wink:

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #883 of 1,190
I have to agree with you on the fact that my music means a lot to me, but I'd consider myself rather new, and an amateur at that, so I feel that my tastes and opinions have yet to mature to a stage where it'd be significant and justifiable for ke to blow that much on an IEM. That being said, I too am a recently graduated student, currently serving my 2 year compulsary stint in the Army, and my allowance is pitiful, so saving up is going to take a huge effort and much time as well. Also, I recently made a purchase for a different IEM at £400, so perhaps I should wait a while before jumping to my next one.

I do very much love the T8ie, and it's brought me ears to nirvana in just 30 minutes. Still, should I be worried about getting upgrades in other aspects first, like a properly powerful DAP and music files and such? All I have now is my Sony Z5 smartphone and a Fiio X1 gen 1. Such a dilemma
frown.gif

Thank you, however, for the input! I'm already halfway down the way of losing my sense in audio goodness.
smily_headphones1.gif

You have the self awareness and maturity of someone well above your age.  Much success in the military!  
Audio sanctuary is running Mojo at about $450...that's a great place no matter where you feel you are at, to start!   

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #885 of 1,190
I do very much love the T8ie, and it's brought me ears to nirvana in just 30 minutes. Still, should I be worried about getting upgrades in other aspects first, like a properly powerful DAP and music files and such? All I have now is my Sony Z5 smartphone and a Fiio X1 gen 1. Such a dilemma
frown.gif

Thank you, however, for the input! I'm already halfway down the way of losing my sense in audio goodness.
smily_headphones1.gif

The sound of my T8iE hasn't disappointed me ever since I bought it on launch.

T8iE being a single dynamic driver means it is a lot more tolerant to amp performance (output impedance etc.), compared to multi-BA earphones like the Shure etc. That means the frequency response of T8iE (the way the designers at Beyerdynamic intended) does not get messed up much due to different amp choices.

If carrying a bulk is not a concern then I think Mojo is a great candidate to pair with Z5. There are pros and cons discussed by many people already (just look at the Mojo thread count...) and you may see some haters out there, but the fact of the matter is that it is selling extremely well, and people are buying them after repeated demo listens. It's such a complete package of good USB DAC + powerful headphone amp, with a novel sound design that's not run-off-the-mill.

Recently other companies are starting to release new USB DAC/amp products that are somewhat inspired by the success of Mojo, with equally impressive specs, so the choice will grow thanks to Mojo's contribution.

If you want to get a new DAP to replace the X1 then it will cost you quite a bit. Maybe the X7 + amp module combination is a good flexible starting point. Just like with earphones, cheaper DAPs always have some annoying issues or sound signatures and you end up buying and selling them more frequently....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back