Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Sep 7, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #62 of 1,190

Hm... Isn't that a bit of a contradiction?

He did say best sounding!  Not best fitting.  In fact the loose fit is part of what gives it the nice soundstage.  

Yeah, it seemed a bit unclear, and that's why I asked! Funny design though; an IEM that sounds its best while perhaps falling out your ears? As a rule of thumb otherwise usually is that a perfect fit is required for perfect sound.

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #63 of 1,190
  Yeah, it seemed a bit unclear, and that's why I asked! Funny design though; an IEM that sounds its best while perhaps falling out your ears? As a rule of thumb otherwise usually is that a perfect fit is required for perfect sound.

I vaguely remember in their literature that's how it was designed to be.  That's one of the reasons it has stopped it from becoming a near perfect IEM.  To me this IEM scales very well with better amplification.  

Anyway, if the AK T8ie can at least match it, you'll see both me IE800 and SE846 go on sale.  I use the SE846 mainly cuz the cable and fit are great.  The mids and bass are also nice too of course.  Interesting to see one guy's comment saying it was not bad.  Maybe not the best ever hyperbole we're used to, but perhaps honest?  Must hear it for myself though.  

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #65 of 1,190

I would agree to this as a general rule.  And it is true for all of the IEMs I have owned.  One exception would be the Final Audio Piano Forte line of IEMs.  They just sort of hang loosely in/on your ear.  They are meant not to have a seal.  The SQ during my demo was phenomenal.  Their downside is that you have no isolation so you can really only enjoy them in a quiet room.

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #68 of 1,190

Got listen to this newest flagship for few days. It was really surprise me as I thought it would be sounds bright analytical.

It turns out sounds musical and engaging, love the presentation of lower mid, giving emotion at the right amount, while still maintain neutrality like Beyerdynamic T1. The treble is very detailed (better than Dita or IE800), have airy feeling, and at the same time still smooth. Bass is definitely not lacking, full bodied, but with a bit polite presentation, not punchy-type bass.

My friend also told me that this iem is like a bridge between people who love analytic sounding and people who like warm fun "pop" sounding iem. For now, I have to agree with that statement.

p.s: easy to drive, and doesn't really demand super high end set up to sounds great

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #69 of 1,190
Tested it with Lotoo PAW 5000 as source. Two statement from me:

1. Musical as hell
2. One of the upgrade path for Sony EX1000 users

I love the transient of this IEM. Not blazing fast as BA, but still fast, makes it (for me) more relaxing sound (than typical BA IEMs). Separation is top notch, soundstage is quite big (not as big as IE800 AFAIR) and have very good coherence. Full-bodied bass, very good (and special) vocal, smooth upper mid, and very... very extended high...

If you value musicality over technicality, I think you should try this IEM :D

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #70 of 1,190

Got listen to this newest flagship for few days. It was realy surprise me as I thoung it would be sounds bright analytical.

It turns out sounds musical and engaging, love the presentation of lower mid, giving emotion at the right amount, while still maintain neutrality like Beyerdynamic T1. The treble is very detailed (better than Dita or IE800), have airy feeling, and at the same time still smooth. Bass is definitely not lacking, full bodied, but with a bit polite presentation, not punchy-type bass.

My friend also told me that this iem is like a bridge between people who love analytic sounding and people who like warm fun "pop" sounding iem. For now, I have to agree with that statement.

p.s: easy to drive, and doesn't really demand super high end set up to sounds great

mmm.....finally, some solid info. You just peaked my interest in this iem. Thanks. Btw, I don't like the Made in Germany and Since 1924 lettering on the earphone. Too much. Beyerdynamic  suffice.

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #71 of 1,190
Tested it with Lotoo PAW 5000 as source. Two statement from me:

1. Musical as hell
2. One of the upgrade path for Sony EX1000 users

I love the transient of this IEM. Not blazing fast as BA, but still fast, makes it (for me) more relaxing sound (than typical BA IEMs). Separation is top notch, soundstage is quite big (not as big as IE800 AFAIR) and have very good coherence. Full-bodied bass, very good (and special) vocal, smooth upper mid, and very... very extended high...

If you value musicality over technicality, I think you should try this IEM :D

Interesting. Could you do a comparison between the t8ie and your ex1000?

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #72 of 1,190
mmm.....the ten thousand dollar question that no one has touched yet: HOW is the fitment? Which eartips to use and why? Eartip issue is one of the most frustrating thing to deal with universals (yeah, I'm eyeballing you JH Layla), with few exceptions (like the exceptional AKG K3003i). Any info would be much appreciated.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #73 of 1,190
Well the Layla is a huge earphone or whatever it's called now.  That makes it much harder to hold in your ear canal.  Those are seriously better made as customs.  but then good luck selling them.  The fitment issue is different for everyone though.  I do think they look kinda large (long) to wear over ear.  But they're probably smaller in size than I imagine.  

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #74 of 1,190
  mmm.....the ten thousand dollar question that no one has touched yet: HOW is the fitment? Which eartips to use and why? Eartip issue is one of the most frustrating thing to deal with universals (yeah, I'm eyeballing you JH Layla), with few exceptions (like the exceptional AKG K3003i). Any info would be much appreciated.

The body size is pretty small, just like westone UM series. 

The nozzle shape is more to oval rathaer than circle, could be a little issue for few people, but third party eartips like spinfit usually help a lot.

Sep 18, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #75 of 1,190
I am really interested in an IEM like this.

@Jude - any update on SQ testing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back