Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD Recorder) at Tokyo Headphone Festival
May 3, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #76 of 1,018
  So far I can't find any detailed specs, has anyone found published confirmation on the following:

Headphone Jack size/type?

We know it is a single DAC, but does the amp section offer a balanced signal?

If the above is SE and not balanced, what happens when docked with PM13??? is it an SE signal on XLR jack or is it a true balanced signal output?

....and is there a difference between the signal put out through the headphone jack and the signal that goes into the docking station/cradle?

Also, thanks to those above that responded to my earlier post. I do have the Dragonfly 1.0 and 1.2 and a Samsung Note 4, but have not used the latter for music playback as of yet. I am still searching and can't find any reference to quality of signal coming out of PM13 dock via XLR cables... I am very curious to find some feedback on how the AK300/320/380 in the dock would compare to a high end USB DAC.

The main Astell & Kern site has the specifications for the AK300 posted.  Can't post a direct link due to their script-driven navigation (no direct URL to the page), but the "Specification" link is to the right of the page at the top once you are on the AK300's product page.

Those specifications say that the connections are a standard 3.5mm TRS (single-ended connection) and a 2.5mm TRRS (balanced) connection.  They have the "typical" output specifications for AK players since, well, they started shipping the AK100ii.

Can't comment on how the 300 series sound via the dock, but I found a Mojo driven off their optical connection sounds better than any of them through their headphone stage.

May 3, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #77 of 1,018
Thanks
@Torq

Funny you mention the Mojo... that is the spoiler in all of my DAP planning, I may just go with a Mojo and learn how to get more out of my phone in terms of music organizing and stream through an OTG cable.

May 3, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #78 of 1,018
The dock connection uses USB only, so regardless whether the AK300 has a balanced out or not (it does), the dock will output via dual mono XLR once the setting is enable in the DAP.

May 4, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #80 of 1,018
What's the issue of 2.5mm balance out u have? I'm still deciding if I wan get a balance 2.5mm termination or a 3.5mm termination.

Well at times I would hear changes in the volume, wiggling it would cause it, then if I turned it, it would be fine. I had to be careful when it was in my pocket not to put stress on the connection. Like my 100II I heard static sometimes, this was something I talked about in the 100II thread and others talked about the cable hitting the chassis and causing the static. this was true, some fixed it with washers they got, I put a piece of clear tape over the hole, then punched a hole in that. Other may not have these issues, I detail cars, so I am leaning bending down etc etc, thats when I would have problems, if the player was just sitting on a desk or something, I would have no issues. But using it for my lifestyle, its going to have to be the 35.mm connection for it to be 100% perfect.

May 4, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #81 of 1,018
Well at times I would hear changes in the volume, wiggling it would cause it, then if I turned it, it would be fine. I had to be careful when it was in my pocket not to put stress on the connection. Like my 100II I heard static sometimes, this was something I talked about in the 100II thread and others talked about the cable hitting the chassis and causing the static. this was true, some fixed it with washers they got, I put a piece of clear tape over the hole, then punched a hole in that. Other may not have these issues, I detail cars, so I am leaning bending down etc etc, thats when I would have problems, if the player was just sitting on a desk or something, I would have no issues. But using it for my lifestyle, its going to have to be the 35.mm connection for it to be 100% perfect.
Thanks for sharing. I usually carry my dap around in my bag, so I guess I won't bend the plug as often as u are. seems like moon audio's cables for jh Roxanne uses a plastic plug for 2.5mm termination, would it be the reason to eliminate the static noise?

May 4, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #82 of 1,018
Thanks for sharing. I usually carry my dap around in my bag, so I guess I won't bend the plug as often as u are. seems like moon audio's cables for jh Roxanne uses a plastic plug for 2.5mm termination, would it be the reason to eliminate the static noise?

Someone who has a set of JH was the one who got some washers with his set, so a plastic plug should also do the trick. Anything to keep the connection from shorting to the chassis per-say. I have a belt clip on my player, so its not sitting down in my pocket, had issues with that, I was breaking cables that way.

May 4, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #83 of 1,018
  So far I can't find any detailed specs, has anyone found published confirmation on the following:

Headphone Jack size/type?

We know it is a single DAC, but does the amp section offer a balanced signal?

If the above is SE and not balanced, what happens when docked with PM13??? is it an SE signal on XLR jack or is it a true balanced signal output?

....and is there a difference between the signal put out through the headphone jack and the signal that goes into the docking station/cradle?

Also, thanks to those above that responded to my earlier post. I do have the Dragonfly 1.0 and 1.2 and a Samsung Note 4, but have not used the latter for music playback as of yet. I am still searching and can't find any reference to quality of signal coming out of PM13 dock via XLR cables... I am very curious to find some feedback on how the AK300/320/380 in the dock would compare to a high end USB DAC.

Here you go:

http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/ak300/ak300_spec.asp

May 4, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #84 of 1,018
Someone knows why is the ak100 II more expensive than the ak 300?
And in some websites they have the same price tag....
Is the single DAC on the 300 better than the single DAC on the 100II?

Thanks!

May 4, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #85 of 1,018
Someone knows why is the ak100 II more expensive than the ak 300?
And in some websites they have the same price tag....
Is the single DAC on the 300 better than the single DAC on the 100II?

Thanks!

Yes, the AKM4490 is a much better DAC than the Cirrus Logic CS4398 and it is neutral warm.  However, the true strength of the AKM4490 is with the native DSD decode and processing, which AK isn't using with the AK300.

May 4, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #86 of 1,018
Anyway, 64Gb + 1 microsd slot, it looks like an AK Jr upgrade with a clear intent on not cannibalizing the rest of their range (and for an additional 300$).
Otherwise, why 64Gb and only one slot at this pricepoint?
If you're going to be greedy with internal memory, provide 2 memory slots.
Otherwise, any "hi-res premium" DAP with so little memory is a joke.

Good to see that A&K still runs primarily on marketing gimmicks (throw in a castrated AKM4490 and look at people fantasizing)...
Why trying to propose better than competition when you can just continue to sell SQ with very little else actually quantifiable for 900$ ? 

May 4, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #87 of 1,018
Yes, the AKM4490 is a much better DAC than the Cirrus Logic CS4398 and it is neutral warm.  However, the true strength of the AKM4490 is with the native DSD decode and processing, which AK isn't using with the AK300.
Do you think the 100II is more analytical and cold compared with the ak300? The dual dac ak320 also doesn't play dsd natively. Don't understand the marketing and the target for the ak300 besides the screen and form factor of a 300 series. If they would cost the same, which one would you buy, 100II or 300 in terms of sound performance?
Thanks

May 4, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #88 of 1,018
Do you think the 100II is more analytical and cold compared with the ak300? The dual dac ak320 also doesn't play dsd natively. Don't understand the marketing and the target for the ak300 besides the screen and form factor of a 300 series. If they would cost the same, which one would you buy, 100II or 300 in terms of sound performance?
Thanks

If you don't care about DSD and any of the accessory integration of the AK300/320/380 series, then yes the AK100II is more cold and analytical.  However, the iBasso DX50/80/90 will give you pretty much the same sound at about half the price.

May 4, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #89 of 1,018
Thanks

If it were me, I'd by the 300.

Never been a fan of the CS4398, and it's implementation in the 100ii, 120ii and 240 didn't manage to change that.

User-interface speed issues aside, I'd take the original 120 over the 100ii, 120ii and 240.

May 4, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #90 of 1,018

If it were me, I'd by the 300.

Never been a fan of the CS4398, and it's implementation in the 100ii, 120ii and 240 didn't manage to change that.

User-interface speed issues aside, I'd take the original 120 over the 100ii, 120ii and 240.

Same here, but again, you are talking to a K-On! fanboy who just ordered himself an AK100II K-On! Edition...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back