Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Jun 2, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #811 of 1,058
I have the Etymotic ER4's too and I hate them with the AK70Mkii. But they sound good on the Fiio X5 Mk2. Anyway, I also like a slightly brighter sound. My fix was to match the Sure 535's and a good cable with the gray filters. Took a while to get there but I love the sound now,

Don't give up, try turning the auto EQ on and see if that helps a bit. Oh and incidentally the 2.5mm balanced port is best for brighter more details sound. The Fiio F9's sound good too and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

Jun 2, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #812 of 1,058
I have the Etymotic ER4's too and I hate them with the AK70Mkii. But they sound good on the Fiio X5 Mk2. Anyway, I also like a slightly brighter sound. My fix was to match the Sure 535's and a good cable with the gray filters. Took a while to get there but I love the sound now,

Don't give up, try turning the auto EQ on and see if that helps a bit. Oh and incidentally the 2.5mm balanced port is best for brighter more details sound. The Fiio F9's sound good too and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

I have ordered

FiiO L26 3.5mm Male to 2.5mm TRRS Female Balanced Output Adapter

See if that helps.

I had a quick go with EQ. I am gonna leave it running until tomorrow see if it changes. I've only had my Etymotic ER4 SR a week so I guess they ain't run in either.

Jun 2, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #813 of 1,058
Man, that is a female 2.5 trrs to mail 3.5mm normal adapter. It wont help. It is us full if you have balanced headphones and you want to use them with a traditional 3.5mm soketed device.

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #814 of 1,058
Oh it took a couple of weeks to burn in my ER4's, brilliant ear phone, but for me not with the AK70. It feels like you need more drivers with the AK.

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #817 of 1,058
No you need a cable not an adapter. The cable will have a separate negative for each bud. You can get balanced cables for the ER4's but they cost a lot. The F9's come with a balanced and normal cable.

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #818 of 1,058
It happens, chalk it up to experience and move on :). The ER4's are cool but you will probably get more out of them with another device.

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #820 of 1,058
give it time. I find that I have hated almost everything (audio equipment) at first but after careful listening and getting used to the sound, the experience does change. I hated the W60 over the UmPro30s and now, I only listen to the W60. So, give it time. And the EQ on the AK70ii is a joke. That's right, they would have been better off leaving that off.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #821 of 1,058
Hi, everyone:

I'm currently using a Fiio X7 (first gen) and I'm interested in buying something comparable in the A&K lineup. My problem is that I'm having a really hard time figuring out the logic of the Astell & Kern product mix. For instance, the AK70 MKi and MKii receive rave reviews across the Internet, but there's hardly a mention of the AK100 (either version) among reviewers. Is the AK70 line better--in terms of sound quality--than the AK100? It's hard to tell based on a pure comparison of the specs. What about the AK120? With so many products in a similar price range, it's hard to make heads or tails of these DAPs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #823 of 1,058
give it time. I find that I have hated almost everything (audio equipment) at first but after careful listening and getting used to the sound, the experience does change. I hated the W60 over the UmPro30s and now, I only listen to the W60. So, give it time. And the EQ on the AK70ii is a joke. That's right, they would have been better off leaving that off.

I always tweek an EQ. Boy have I made a mess buying this device

Jun 3, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #825 of 1,058
Hi,

i have ordered the AK 70 MK II too. I will get it on tomorrow or tuesday. As a young boy i was totally happy using my Iriver IFP-795 MP3-Player with 512 MB storage capability. It was powered by a single AA-batterie. Enough to bring me through serveral days of listening to music at higher volume. I still have this player. It looks and perform awesome like the first day i got it. It got enough power to drive the most in-ears and sounded very good with Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones and of course the AKG 26P and the Porta Pros. People who owned the latest Ipod this time listened to my little device and if they were the type of guy who like emmersive, punchy and "making you smile" music presentation they always said: wow, u are right that sounds very good. But the small Iriver only offered 512 MB.

Today for my IEMs (Yamaha EPH-100 & Pioneer SE-CH9T) i use the Plenue D & Hidizs AP 60 II. Both great sounding devices. I mostly grab the AP 60 II player. Sound great w/o touching the EQ. With the before mentioned IEMs it just sounds enjoyablet to me. I want to hear all details, mids, punchy bass that can go deep, without being muddy and losing seperation through the layers. I can only enjoy the Plenue D when i use the EQ-setting "BBE". That gives music a more in your face and punchy sound. The possible run-time of the PD makes it a keeper for me. Its also very well build.

Back to the AK 70 MK II. I ordered the AK 70 MK II player because i just want to experience what Iriver sounds like in 2018. I also like the idea of having one standalone DAP that is capable of driving most headphones.

If the Ak 70 MK II wont provide the "wow-effect", i will give the Chord Mojo a try using the AP 60 II as a transport.

There are two... will it ever stop? ...three players that also drew my attention. Ibasso DX 150 (noooo... gogogo directly for the DX 200!!!), Cayin N5 ii, Hifiman 802 (dual wolfson chip) and Hidizs AP80 (Sabre Chip). That are already four... :ksc75smile:

Im expecting nothing from the AK 70 MK II. I red so many pages of opinions and reviews. Making it the prefered DAP in its price range, some say it sounds dull, other experience a sound that is blowing away most of the other players.

Of course i am happy when i will open the parcel. Even if it wont sound good to my very own ears its ok because then i know and my curious mind will calm down... a bit... till the next test of gear :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back