Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Nov 30, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #467 of 1,058
Heya Dai, no hissing. Were you the guy who commented on Reddit about his Ak70 Fate hissing on Andro?

Yea that was me too, and ok :s i guess mines just not right then...

I did the turn volume to 0 and play anything and there was noticeable hissing. Just to make sure we are doing the same "test"

I can hear it in quiet parts of songs too... :'c

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #468 of 1,058
I know what you mean by hissing because I had tried to pair my andros with desktop amps and boy does it hiss. it's really a sensitive little bugger.

But i think you might have a lemon unit that you need to return because there's no hiss on my AK70mk2 :frowning2: I have also auditioned the AK70mk2 before at a local audiophile shop so I knew that the Andro's are very good, if not perfect, for the AK70mk2

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #470 of 1,058
I have yet to test them with my HD800's because I lost my 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter :frowning2:

However, mine came with a weird looking scrape on the left side... Had some classical music on it too that wasnt mine on the internal memory. Good songs but I feel like this wasnt a brand new unit?? The backplate (very awesome artwork) was "loose" and had a lot of play hear the volume knob (+/- 1 or 2 mm that I can push in with minimal force). The volume knob was pretty wobbly too, also +/- 1 or 2 mm play. Despite the full metal body, these 2 points make it feel a bit flimsy and quite cheap.

Very hissy with my Andromedas in both balanced and less so in 3.5mm mode. Very audible in both, I would have to turn the volume above moderate for it to be "unnoticeable". No matter what, in quieter songs or silent parts of songs the hiss will rear its ugly head.

Considering I spent 1200$CAD (~1000USD) for these bad boys, I was pretty let down.

On the bright side, the Fate/Stay Night : Heaven's Feel Limited Edition looks ****ing gorgeous. If anyone has the regular AK70 II who also has a pair of Andromedas report back with hissiness or anything I've mentioned that would be super appreciated.

I want to find out if maybe if I received a defective unit or just got insanely unlucky...

Thanks in advance.
The classical musics are included in every device, the volume knob is also slightly wobbly on mine but it seems to be the same with most demo units I've seen, I don't have any hissing though I don't think

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #471 of 1,058
The classical musics are included in every device, the volume knob is also slightly wobbly on mine but it seems to be the same with most demo units I've seen, I don't have any hissing though I don't think

Thanks for the response. Have you tried volume at 0 and play a song? thats the easiest way to test for hissing that ive found. Another user has expressed his is not hissy at all, so im inclined to believe that my unit is not how it should be.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #472 of 1,058
Thanks for the response. Have you tried volume at 0 and play a song? thats the easiest way to test for hissing that ive found. Another user has expressed his is not hissy at all, so im inclined to believe that my unit is not how it should be.
Damn I wish I had my ZS6 with me right now coz those things are super sensitive to hissing and would be great for testing the ak70, with ASG 2.5 I don't hear anything at low or 0 volume, however I couldn't hear any hissing with my ASG 2.5 on my fiio X5 in USB DAC mode either until I tried it with ZS6, which all of a sudden made me realize how bad the hissing was on the x5, maybe the zs6 with the extremely sensitive highs is part of the reason but would definitely let you know again when I get them back from my friend. Also try to contact A&K, I sent them some questions previously and they replied in a day or two.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #473 of 1,058
I have yet to test them with my HD800's because I lost my 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter :frowning2:

However, mine came with a weird looking scrape on the left side... Had some classical music on it too that wasnt mine on the internal memory. Good songs but I feel like this wasnt a brand new unit?? The backplate (very awesome artwork) was "loose" and had a lot of play hear the volume knob (+/- 1 or 2 mm that I can push in with minimal force). The volume knob was pretty wobbly too, also +/- 1 or 2 mm play. Despite the full metal body, these 2 points make it feel a bit flimsy and quite cheap.

Very hissy with my Andromedas in both balanced and less so in 3.5mm mode. Very audible in both, I would have to turn the volume above moderate for it to be "unnoticeable". No matter what, in quieter songs or silent parts of songs the hiss will rear its ugly head.

Considering I spent 1200$CAD (~1000USD) for these bad boys, I was pretty let down.

On the bright side, the Fate/Stay Night : Heaven's Feel Limited Edition looks ****ing gorgeous. If anyone has the regular AK70 II who also has a pair of Andromedas report back with hissiness or anything I've mentioned that would be super appreciated.

I want to find out if maybe if I received a defective unit or just got insanely unlucky...

Thanks in advance.
Sorry, jumping in late here. Is there hiss with any other headphones/IEMs or just the Andromeda?

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 30, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #474 of 1,058
Sorry, jumping in late here. Is there hiss with any other headphones/IEMs or just the Andromeda?

I will have to borrow my brothers IEMs as the andromedas are the only ones I won at the moment. I found the adapter yesterday night but didnt use them with my HD800's because the AK70 was charging. I will report back with my findings.

My educated guess is the hiss will persist only on sensitive IEMs and will not be audible from my HD800's but I will test it out after work.

I bought them imported from Japan on Ebay if that matters for you guys. All original packaging is included with warranty and everything.

Thanks so much for the response!

Best,

Ed

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #475 of 1,058
To AK70 mkii owners -

Does anyone also have the Sony WM1A? Debating between the two devices, would appreciate any first hand practical use comparisons.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #476 of 1,058
I will have to borrow my brothers IEMs as the andromedas are the only ones I won at the moment. I found the adapter yesterday night but didnt use them with my HD800's because the AK70 was charging. I will report back with my findings.

My educated guess is the hiss will persist only on sensitive IEMs and will not be audible from my HD800's but I will test it out after work.

I bought them imported from Japan on Ebay if that matters for you guys. All original packaging is included with warranty and everything.

Thanks so much for the response!

Best,

Ed
As per our warranty terms that are included in the package, we cannot honor the warranty for any products that are not purchased from authorized Astell&Kern resellers (which includes ebay) since we cannot guarantee the authenticity of the product. We've seen examples in the past of people purchasing from unauthorized resellers and having issues. Upon review by us, we've seen knock-offs, fakes, poorly refurbished items sold as new, cannibalized units pieced together and sold as new, etc.

Happy to help in any way that I can. If you want to PM me the serial # (on bottom of unit) and the seller on ebay, I can have our HQ team check our global database.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 30, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #477 of 1,058
As per our warranty terms that are included in the package, we cannot honor the warranty for any products that are not purchased from authorized Astell&Kern resellers (which includes ebay) since we cannot guarantee the authenticity of the product. We've seen examples in the past of people purchasing from unauthorized resellers and having issues. Upon review by us, we've seen knock-offs, fakes, poorly refurbished items sold as new, cannibalized units pieced together and sold as new, etc.

Happy to help in any way that I can. If you want to PM me the serial # (on bottom of unit) and the seller on ebay, I can have our HQ team check our global database.

I sent you a PM with some information, if you think i might have missed anything please let me know and I will provide it at my earliest convenience.

Thanks again.

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #478 of 1,058
To AK70 mkii owners -

Does anyone also have the Sony WM1A? Debating between the two devices, would appreciate any first hand practical use comparisons.

Thanks in advance.
Me. You can search my impression/post here and on 1A thread. What specifically would you like to know? :)

Dec 1, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #479 of 1,058
Hello, i would like to ask few questions Astell&Kern directly:

1. How many hours battery lasts on AK70m2 with high resolution flac and no wifi and no bluettoth and how that compares under same conditions to AK70 v1?

2. For how long can AK70 mk2 be used as pc dac before its battery runs out or does it charges itself enough to be used idenifitely? Or does it ignore battery whatsoever and takes all juice needed from usb when used as pc dac? I recently had to sell Chord Mojo because it used only up to 1A of elec. current when charging during working as pc dac. So it always run out of juice after +-2 days and i had to charge it for few hours and not use it as dac for that time and use all that time awful pc soundcard. They explained at Chord, that Mojo draws only 1A in order to force battery to discharge completely once a while and therefore protect battery life span. So i wonder how your players work in that way.

3. What is a life expectancy of Li-Polymer batteries in these device if used on daily basis, often as pc dac for 6-10 hours per day? How many months/years of such heavy use before battery capacity drops under 70-80%?

4. (off topic question)Will Astell Kern Junior player get firmware update, which would fix it's pc dac support? I bought Jr. and was very pleased with sound but i couldn't get it working under windows 10 with usb 3.0 ports.

thank you very much for your answer

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #480 of 1,058
Andro also hisses on my ak70ii but total silent with my layla. I think andro and ak70ii is bad pairing to my taste. Thinner and no bass.

I use balanced all the time. Will try single ended with ifi iematch and report soon :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back