Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Oct 11, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #197 of 1,058
Got mine today.

Environment: NFB-11, LCD-2, HE500, HE400i, HD650, CA Polaris

This is my first DAP, spend few hours as a DAC streaming spotify premium from my macbook today. (Don't have any collection of music on disk yet) with CA Polaris running single-ended cable.

Compare to my NFB-11, everything sounds much more smoother, and has more details and depth. I was quite satisfied with my NFB-11. Now I feel like it has 'sharp edges' everywhere. I glad I made the purchase. Definitely an improvement from my NFB-11 in a compact portable size.

Build quality is solid and premium. One thing is that the screen protectors are quite cheap. After first applied, I tried to use some magic tape to get rid of some dusts inside, then it won't stick back on. (I have done this thousands of times on my iphone screen protectors and they are all fine). Getting some tempered glass screen protector from Ebay anyway.

ep4ewqh.jpg

d8EKmnT.jpg

5JsXsY2.jpg

nHcxk8K.jpg

TvTSz1g.jpg

v8wff1k.jpg

ge4e0Y5.jpg

nche0Hg.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #199 of 1,058
Got mine today.

Environment: NFB-11, LCD-2, HE500, HE400i, HD650, CA Polaris

This is my first DAP, spend few hours as a DAC streaming spotify premium from my macbook today. (Don't have any collection of music on disk yet) with CA Polaris running single-ended cable.

Compare to my NFB-11, everything sounds much more smoother, and has more details and depth. I was quite satisfied with my NFB-11. Now I feel like it has 'sharp edges' everywhere. I glad I made the purchase. Definitely an improvement from my NFB-11 in a compact portable size.

Build quality is solid and premium. One thing is that the screen protectors are quite cheap. After first applied, I tried to use some magic tape to get rid of some dusts inside, then it won't stick back on. (I have done this thousands of times on my iphone screen protectors and they are all fine). Getting some tempered glass screen protector from Ebay anyway.

ep4ewqh.jpg

d8EKmnT.jpg

5JsXsY2.jpg

nHcxk8K.jpg

TvTSz1g.jpg
I would be very interested to know real world battery life when you get down to it. Have fun!

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #200 of 1,058
Yes please do keep us poated on battery life espcially when streaming from tidal via wifi

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #202 of 1,058
I would be very interested to know real world battery life when you get down to it. Have fun!

I don't have much time streaming tidal yet. But I notice one problem. It seems can only received 2.5Ghz wifi signal. And usually 2.5Ghz means range instead of 5Ghz means speed. But I don't have much range on it. My router is in living room. I got really bad connection just two walls between.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #204 of 1,058
AK70 vs AK70 Mk2
Having owned an AK70 for 10 months, and used it almost daily I thought I'd try and give a comparison against it's newer sibling. I'm new to this, so don't be too critical!

Build & Design
The first thing you notice is that is does feel larger than the the AK70, and heavier than the 18 grams the spec sheet suggests - so much so that I actually weighed both devices (they do both weigh as per the AK specs!).

The slightly chunkier design feels familiar and works well... I like the little angled edge on the Mk2.

The volume wheel has a different colour band (blue vs red), and texture, but also a different "click" - it needs a more definite push and has a more pronounced feel. I think I prefer the AK70 over the Mk2 here.

Some fuss has been made over the back, but to be honest I'll never see it, as it will live in a case. Once again, I prefer the pattern on the AK70.

Unsurprisingly the touchscreen feels exactly the same, and just as slick. If you're coming from an AK Jr though, you will notice a difference.

Sound
Headphones: I use Shure SE535 with Westone Star Tips, and an Atlas Zeno IEM cable.

Tracks
  • Rage Against the Machine, Bullet in the Head - 44/24
  • Dorothy, Down to the Bottom - 44/16
  • Soundgarden, Mailman - DSD64 (PCM converted)
  • David Gilmour, In Any Tongue - 96/24
  • The Last Internationale, Wanted Man - 44/24
  • Dead Blonde Stars, Coffer - 44/16
I've always found RATM's debut album good at exposing the true nature of a setup, so started there. Very quickly you notice that there is greater clarity and definition over the AK70. The bass is tighter and more controlled.

Dorothy use old amps and record live, and to the uninitiated it does sound like the "loudness war" has ruined the sound. However, wondering about how it would cope, the Mk2 again sings above the AK70. Dorothy's incredible vocals are clear and precise.

Heading to the murky depth's of Soundgarden's Mailman and Dead Blonde Star's Coffer (worth a listen if you're a SG/AiC/PJ fan) and the music never over powers the vocals. There is greater separation, detail and clarity.

Gilmour's work is always nicely recorded and this is no exception. Intimate and involving, it's almost as good as being sat in the Royal Albert Hall. The soundstage is noticeable larger than the AK70.

Finally, TLI's Wanted Man is precise and detailed in a way that the AK70 cannot match. Delila's voice is haunting, the bass is strong, the few piano notes sing, but are not swamped by Edgey's guitar work nor Brad Wilk's drums.

Summary
The Mk2 set out to give greater clarity and detail, and IMO AK have nailed that. The dual DAC works if you like precise reproduction with an open character, and the signature AK sound. T

Is it worth the upgrade? IMO, yes. Coming from the AK70 it does feel like a step change. he sound is crisp, the bass is tight but it is a clean sound (which I like).

Disappointments? Only that I can't get a case for it yet. Given mine is a road warrior (daily train commute) it's not going anywhere until I can protect it. I wish they'd bundle a case with these things...
Thanks for your impressions. Looks like the MK2 is a small step above the AK70 in most areas.

And yes, even though it's not a lot thicker (on paper), it still looks huge in comparison to its older sibling.

Will definitely give it a try soon - looks like stocks have landed here in Singapore. :)

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #205 of 1,058
I've purchased two "premium" DAPs in the past month. I just received my AK70MkII Tuesday after having played with the OPUS#3 for about a month. Being grounded in strict science and a "show me" mentality, I'm not equipped to verbally fawn and heap praise on these two DAPs. However, I can tell you the OPUS#3 scored higher with me than my old favorite Shanling M5.

This player, the AK70mkII, besides being rip-roaringly powerful at ½ watt per balanced side, has just aurally renewed my entire collection of classical CDs - Telarc, Reference, Naxos, etc.. It's exciting to hear instruments that have been under a veil so-to-speak.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #206 of 1,058
If you don't mind I would like to post some high quality pics of my AK70 MKII that arrived today :)
I have a very positive impression after playing a little with the UI and testing wifi and bluetooth connection (aptx HD). Maximum distance where the bluetooth connection is stable is about 8-9 m with a direct connection.
My tablet Samsung S2 8.0 LTE in aptx mode is here much stronger with 15 m with an even uneven way! Test headset is a Sony WH-H900N.
Up to now everything works very well. Just what I expected actually.
I like the design and the build quality is really satisfying, I'm happy. I think I can get along with this player for a very long time. Now I'm waiting for the black leather case. A more stable glass (like tempered glass) I already ordered and is ready to be mounted.
More impressions will come soon, but don't expect too much haha
I would say the weakness of this tiny player is the battery life, just don't activate everything and then it's fine. And if the battery is in trouble, nowadays everybody still has a powerbank, right?

P1460535.jpg
P1460550.jpg
P1460553.jpg
P1460557.jpg
P1460559.jpg
P1460560.jpg
P1460561.jpg
P1460564.jpg
P1460567.jpg
P1470324.JPG
P1470336.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #207 of 1,058
To anyone who's used this awhile. Does the shuffle mode work good. AK used to suck in this area it would play the same order everytime it was off then restarted which is why I sold my Jr.
Also can you store tidal offline?

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #208 of 1,058
As I promised, here is my quick comparison between AK70Mk2 and AK240.

9935478_l.jpg

For this A/B testing I used Ultrasone Jubilee 25 Edition through balanced output on both DAPs using Silver Dragon V3 cable.

Music Tracks
Gregory Porter, Liquid Spirit, 96/24
Norah Jones, The Nearness of You, 192/24
Cassandra Wilson, Love is Blindness, 192/24
Harbie Hancock, Maiden Voyage, 192/24

Basic sound signature is very similar between AK70Mk2 and AK240, possibly due to the same dual DAC (Cirrus Logic CS4398 x2) configuration. Amplifier was more powerful on AK70Mk2 requiring always 10 to 12% less volume settings than AK240 (90 to 100 on AK70Mk2 while 100-110 on AK240).
If you listen casually without doing A/B test, it would be difficult to tell which one you are listening. That being said, sound stage is definitely wider on AK240. Also AK240 had better resolution and separation than AK70Mk2. But I have to say that the difference is not so big.
Also AK240 gives richer, smoother and more matured presentation than AK70Mk2. But this does not necessarily mean that AK240 is better. Depending on the track, AK70Mk2 may be more suited. It's like comparing Scotch whiskey between 12 years and 18 years old. 18 years old sure costs more money and provides more matured/rounded taste than 12 years. But depending on your mood, you sometimes prefer younger Scotch.
AK70Mk2 exhibits some rough edges occasionally, while AK240 consistently presents laid back and relaxed listening.

Summary:
Astell&Kern did a great job creating such a DAP more or less comparable to the one, which was once TOTL, at this price point. For AK240 users, I don't see any point buying AK70Mk2 as there will be no improvement unless you want some fresher and younger tonality.

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #209 of 1,058
If you don't mind I would like to post some high quality pics of my AK70 MKII that arrived today :)
I have a very positive impression after playing a little with the UI and testing wifi and bluetooth connection (aptx HD). Maximum distance where the bluetooth connection is stable is about 8-9 m with a direct connection.
My tablet Samsung S2 8.0 LTE in aptx mode is here much stronger with 15 m with an even uneven way! Test headset is a Sony WH-H900N.
Up to now everything works very well. Just what I expected actually.
I like the design and the build quality is really satisfying, I'm happy. I think I can get along with this player for a very long time. Now I'm waiting for the black leather case. A more stable glass (like tempered glass) I already ordered and is ready to be mounted.
More impressions will come soon, but don't expect too much haha
I would say the weakness of this tiny player is the battery life, just don't activate everything and then it's fine. And if the battery is in trouble, nowadays everybody still has a powerbank, right?
Excellent pics!!!
Looking forward to hearing more of your impression.
BTW, the battery life has been a weak point of AK DAPs. Thinking of the size and weight, maybe it's a good compromising point, though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back