Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Sep 30, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #106 of 1,058
At one point I was thinking of getting the AK70, then found out the EQ function had never worked - apart from some built-in preset "Pro EQ" setting. No customisable EQ. I emailed A&K US who confirmed to me at the time (about Dec last year) that the EQ wasn't working but they were hoping to fix it in a firmware release.

At that point the AK70 had been out for the long time, so my faith was rather shaken that a basic feature like EQ wasn't functioning (or that what hi-fi had named it a product of the year without the EQ working!).

Is that going to be a recurring problem with the AK70 mk II? In fact, was the EQ ever fixed on the AK70?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #107 of 1,058
At one point I was thinking of getting the AK70, then found out the EQ function had never worked - apart from some built-in preset "Pro EQ" setting. No customisable EQ. I emailed A&K US who confirmed to me at the time (about Dec last year) that the EQ wasn't working but they were hoping to fix it in a firmware release.

At that point the AK70 had been out for the long time, so my faith was rather shaken that a basic feature like EQ wasn't functioning (or that what hi-fi had named it a product of the year without the EQ working!).

Is that going to be a recurring problem with the AK70 mk II? In fact, was the EQ ever fixed on the AK70?
I'm using a AK240 till now I don't even bother to eq, just listen to what it is.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #108 of 1,058
I'm using a AK240 till now I don't even bother to eq, just listen to what it is.
Agree. EQ adds an additional layer of signal processing that likely deteriorates sound quality in some degree.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #110 of 1,058
same here, never used EQ on any DAP i've owned and probably never will
I realize there's a lot of people around here that aren't into EQ, but I am. So if a product can't do it, it's a real turn off - and if it's marketed as having 10 band EQ like the AK70, but it actually doesn't work, then that's even worse.

Anyway, if anyone out there has an AK70 my II, I'd like to know if the EQ works, and likewise if it works on the original AK70.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #111 of 1,058
I realize there's a lot of people around here that aren't into EQ, but I am. So if a product can't do it, it's a real turn off - and if it's marketed as having 10 band EQ like the AK70, but it actually doesn't work, then that's even worse.

Anyway, if anyone out there has an AK70 my II, I'd like to know if the EQ works, and likewise if it works on the original AK70.

AK is not a brand that is famous for their eq. U wanna play eq buy a Cowon.
U buying the wrong DAP to play eq already.

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #113 of 1,058

AK70 Mk2 is not out yet. @JasonNYC said they start shipping AK70 Mk2 this week for pre-ordered customers including me.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #115 of 1,058
Yes indeed there are lots of good daps around. I'm even looking at the zx300 myself. Please forgive my silly previous posts. I was in a car accident yesterday and mixed Norco with Makers mark (big mistake) and was out of my gourd. I'm happy to report though I'm now back on terra firma, with just a nasty headache and a very sore neck and back. I read what I wrote and was like wow this looks like a 13 year olds commentary.

Embarrassing!
Hope you get better soon. :)

I don't use EQ on my DAPs, but I was curious about this, so I tried it on the AK70... and I found that it doesn't work! What's the point in having it there if it's broken? More importantly, why hasn't it been fixed?

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #118 of 1,058
Oooh.... it's SHIPPED!!! :)

Cool beans!

i never used it myself, but I just tried and it doesn't work on the ak70. Not a big deal to me because besides Sony and Cowon most daps eqs just don't sound good, unless they've been rockboxed.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #119 of 1,058

Don't bother, AK don't care about EQ.
COWON is built for EQ.
SONY does both well.

Oct 5, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #120 of 1,058
Can't say I've been bothered about EQ in a DAP. I guess i'm a bit more of a reference listener than a casual listener though, and I like to hear tracks sound as close to how the studio engineers and mastering engineer(s) intended them. If that means they're a bit light on bass, or the cymbals have a little extra ring/chime than other tracks, that's fine by me.

Selecting the right headphones/IEMs seems to be a far less intrusive way of tuning your listening experience into the sound that you like.

I only really seem to use EQ if I'm listening through the garbage speakers in my car!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back