Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Oct 8, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #137 of 1,058
And is it possible that a AK70 MKII owner can check the bluetooth and wifi connection? The connection stability was criticized by many. I plan to use aptx HD so it's a very important point :)
I have not tested the bluetooth, but I spent more than 4 hours listening to TIDAL streaming via WiFi connection. I did not experience any problem or instability issue so far.
But there is one thing you need to be careful about, battery. WiFi drains battery quick.

Oct 8, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #138 of 1,058
I have not tested the bluetooth, but I spent more than 4 hours listening to TIDAL streaming via WiFi connection. I did not experience any problem or instability issue so far.
But there is one thing you need to be careful about, battery. WiFi drains battery quick.
That is a very positive sign, thank you!
If you recognize new differences to the other players, please let us know :D

Battery? hm that could make trouble, the battery was replaced by a bigger one, but the dual DACs will eat up the extra battery power...
Acutally is it possible to save Tidal locally? I'm not up-to-date anymore if it is even possible...

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #139 of 1,058
That is a very positive sign, thank you!
If you recognize new differences to the other players, please let us know :D

Battery? hm that could make trouble, the battery was replaced by a bigger one, but the dual DACs will eat up the extra battery power...
Acutally is it possible to save Tidal locally? I'm not up-to-date anymore if it is even possible...
No offline TIDAL. It was discussed somewhere else. But the bottom line is that there is a licensing issue between music labels and TIDAL, which restricts the offline option only for TIDAL app distributed through Apple App Store or Google Play.

Oct 8, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #141 of 1,058
How are people finding the battery life? Better than the first generation AK70?
AK70Mk2 has a larger battery than AK70. But with dual DAC configuration, power consumption is also higher. According to a minor Japanese website, the battery life is similar to AK70, which is about 10 hours.

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #142 of 1,058
Currently writing up some thoughts on the AK70 vs the Mk2, but the thing that still strikes me is how a few mm can actually feel so much larger...

Note the chunkier profile on the Mk2, but also the nice little angled facet detail (bottom left)

AK70s.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #143 of 1,058
AK70 vs AK70 Mk2
Having owned an AK70 for 10 months, and used it almost daily I thought I'd try and give a comparison against it's newer sibling. I'm new to this, so don't be too critical!

Build & Design
The first thing you notice is that is does feel larger than the the AK70, and heavier than the 18 grams the spec sheet suggests - so much so that I actually weighed both devices (they do both weigh as per the AK specs!).

The slightly chunkier design feels familiar and works well... I like the little angled edge on the Mk2.

AK70s.jpg

The volume wheel has a different colour band (blue vs red), and texture, but also a different "click" - it needs a more definite push and has a more pronounced feel. I think I prefer the AK70 over the Mk2 here.

wheels.jpg

Some fuss has been made over the back, but to be honest I'll never see it, as it will live in a case. Once again, I prefer the pattern on the AK70.

backs.jpg

Unsurprisingly the touchscreen feels exactly the same, and just as slick. If you're coming from an AK Jr though, you will notice a difference.

Sound
Headphones: I use Shure SE535 with Westone Star Tips, and an Atlas Zeno IEM cable.

Tracks
  • Rage Against the Machine, Bullet in the Head - 44/24
  • Dorothy, Down to the Bottom - 44/16
  • Soundgarden, Mailman - DSD64 (PCM converted)
  • David Gilmour, In Any Tongue - 96/24
  • The Last Internationale, Wanted Man - 44/24
  • Dead Blonde Stars, Coffer - 44/16
I've always found RATM's debut album good at exposing the true nature of a setup, so started there. Very quickly you notice that there is greater clarity and definition over the AK70. The bass is tighter and more controlled.

Dorothy use old amps and record live, and to the uninitiated it does sound like the "loudness war" has ruined the sound. However, wondering about how it would cope, the Mk2 again sings above the AK70. Dorothy's incredible vocals are clear and precise.

Heading to the murky depth's of Soundgarden's Mailman and Dead Blonde Star's Coffer (worth a listen if you're a SG/AiC/PJ fan) and the music never over powers the vocals. There is greater separation, detail and clarity.

Gilmour's work is always nicely recorded and this is no exception. Intimate and involving, it's almost as good as being sat in the Royal Albert Hall. The soundstage is noticeable larger than the AK70.

Finally, TLI's Wanted Man is precise and detailed in a way that the AK70 cannot match. Delila's voice is haunting, the bass is strong, the few piano notes sing, but are not swamped by Edgey's guitar work nor Brad Wilk's drums.

Summary
The Mk2 set out to give greater clarity and detail, and IMO AK have nailed that. The dual DAC works if you like precise reproduction with an open character, and the signature AK sound. T

Is it worth the upgrade? IMO, yes. Coming from the AK70 it does feel like a step change. he sound is crisp, the bass is tight but it is a clean sound (which I like).

Disappointments? Only that I can't get a case for it yet. Given mine is a road warrior (daily train commute) it's not going anywhere until I can protect it. I wish they'd bundle a case with these things...

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #144 of 1,058
A few more notes...

Volume
Noticed that the volume level I'm listening at is somewhat lower (in terms of number on the screen).. I assume this is due to the more powerful AMP? (note I used the 2.5mm balanced connection - not tried the 3.5mm unbalanced).

Touchscreen
Maybe it's because it's not in a case, but it does seem more sensitive. A few times I've picked it up and accidentally paused it. Not something I've done with the AK70!

A few more notes...
Just been listening to Nothing But Thieves, Trip Switch (24/44). I've previously noted that there is a silent section around 2:13 where you hear the cymbal roll off... then the music comes back in full attack. The move from standard Shure cable to the Atlas Zeno IEM cable really helped, but here the Mk2 trumps the AK70. It's a much more forward presentation, and the bass is properly controlled on "re-entry" - brilliant.

The Black Keys, Dead and Gone (24/44) feels very wide. There is so much separation between the instruments, it's quite odd in a way. Beautifully detailed though.

Going back to my heavier tastes, Stone Temple Pilots, Piece of Pie (24/96) is weighty and powerful. Weiland's vocals are crystal clear over the heavy guitar and bass - which are detailed, and you can hear every note (gotta love a bit of string squeak).

For me the Mk2 is clean and crisp, has tighter bass and a wider soundstage with the heavier music. However, it doesn't lose out on the more melodic music or vocals. I'm off to listen to Pink Floyd's, Wish You Were Here...

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #145 of 1,058
A few more notes...

Volume
Noticed that the volume level I'm listening at is somewhat lower (in terms of number on the screen).. I assume this is due to the more powerful AMP? (note I used the 2.5mm balanced connection - not tried the 3.5mm unbalanced).

Touchscreen
Maybe it's because it's not in a case, but it does seem more sensitive. A few times I've picked it up and accidentally paused it. Not something I've done with the AK70!

A few more notes...
Just been listening to Nothing But Thieves, Trip Switch (24/44). I've previously noted that there is a silent section around 2:13 where you hear the cymbal roll off... then the music comes back in full attack. The move from standard Shure cable to the Atlas Zeno IEM cable really helped, but here the Mk2 trumps the AK70. It's a much more forward presentation, and the bass is properly controlled on "re-entry" - brilliant.

The Black Keys, Dead and Gone (24/44) feels very wide. There is so much separation between the instruments, it's quite odd in a way. Beautifully detailed though.

Going back to my heavier tastes, Stone Temple Pilots, Piece of Pie (24/96) is weighty and powerful. Weiland's vocals are crystal clear over the heavy guitar and bass - which are detailed, and you can hear every note (gotta love a bit of string squeak).

For me the Mk2 is clean and crisp, has tighter bass and a wider soundstage with the heavier music. However, it doesn't lose out on the more melodic music or vocals. I'm off to listen to Pink Floyd's, Wish You Were Here...

Thanks for the impressions, very helpful especially since you mirror my musical tastes. Are you a Radiohead fan also by chance? Pink Floyd is always a good test of a dap I think, I always throw 'on the run' from DSOTM to test a daps stereo imaging - UK quad version in hi-def. Absolutely love RATM. Bluetechs 'Rubicon' is also a good test of resolution/detail as each measure another instrument is added to the frey and only the very strong can keep everything clear.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #146 of 1,058
Thanks for the impressions, very helpful especially since you mirror my musical tastes. Are you a Radiohead fan also by chance? Pink Floyd is always a good test of a dap I think, I always throw 'on the run' from DSOTM to test a daps stereo imaging - UK quad version in hi-def. Absolutely love RATM. Bluetechs 'Rubicon' is also a good test of resolution/detail as each measure another instrument is added to the frey and only the very strong can keep everything clear.

Never got into Radiohead or Rubicon.

RATM's debut album is seriously under rated. Still cuts in today, and was pretty well recorded (the original vinyl is amazing if you can get one). Going back to Bullet in the Head, the Timmy C's bass "solo" mid way through doesn't over power Wilk's drums. You can still hear the cymbals clearly - the separation of instruments is more pronounced with the Mk2, and you can appreciate the detail far more. Listen for the hi-hat on the off-beat!

On the Run is a good shout, will give it a go.

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #147 of 1,058
A few more notes...

Volume

Unbalanced output should be a lil weaker if we trust the hard facts: MKII 2.0 Vrms vs MKI 2.3 Vrms if we trust the hard facts.

Is it also possible that the AK70 MKII owners try to hear a huge variation of music genre? And try to test the bluetooth connection through aptx oder aptx HD please :) Thank you so much.

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #148 of 1,058
Unbalanced output should be a lil weaker if we trust the hard facts: MKII 2.0 Vrms vs MKI 2.3 Vrms if we trust the hard facts.

Is it also possible that the AK70 MKII owners try to hear a huge variation of music genre? And try to test the bluetooth connection through aptx oder aptx HD please :) Thank you so much.

Yep, maybe it's because I'm listening in a different environment to usual? Despite swapping the headphone socket from one to the other, the claimed numbers don't seem to match up!

Sorry, I don't own any bluetooth headphones.

Not sure what you mean by "Is it also possible that the AK70 MKII owners try to hear a huge variation of music genre?"

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #150 of 1,058
Sry, I'm not precise enough with my English. I meant different kinds of music, because maybe the sound quality is depending what kind of music you hear. And I want to have an allrounder :)

Ah, I understand now :)

I suppose my tastes are best described as "rock music" I'm afraid.

The Mk2 seems fine with acoustic guitars (Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, The Last Internationale), but it is a little warmer than the Mk1. It will be interesting to see if people find it too bassy with different music genres. It certainly suits my tastes in music, and the sound signature I like. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back