Astell & Kern AK10 portable DAC and amp
Aug 5, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #319 of 359
Thanks for comment.
And what about firmware? In European version of Beyerdynamic it is possible to dismiss volume limit to have possibility to use with heavy cans ~600ohm.
You can, If you want to use cans like Sennheiser 650. I use mostly in ears, the Grado GR10 and the Senn IE80, and in case of the latter I dismiss the volume limit because i like the grunt necessary for bass heavy music like Primus.

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #324 of 359
I just tried it with the AK10 and the red light is lit at max volume and pressing the middle button for a few seconds doesn't do anything.  I think you might be SOL when trying to drive 600ohm cans with this little thing.  

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #325 of 359
The Non-EU version of the A200p does not have a volume limit... does the A&K 10 even have one?

Disengaging the limit on the EU-A200p is a bit more complicated and involves disconnecting everything. Just looked it up:
*) disconnect all cables
*) power on the device
*) lock the keys (i.e. power key in lock position)
*) press the Play-button for about 5sec. Power-LED should flash purple and turn red. Volume limit is turned off now.
*) Power off
*) re-connect cables and power on device

Same goes for re-enabling the limit (LED flashes purple and then blue in that case). Use on your own risk -- listening at high volumes can damage your hearing etc.

Maybe you want to try that on your A&K 10?

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #327 of 359
Sorry to hear that. I did not even know the A&K version actually has a limitation. Did you ask your retailer? What did the product description say? The A200p non-eu version explicitly states compatibility with high-impedance headphones up to 600Ohm while the eu-version talks about 32Ohm.

Furthermore the limitation is said to be in effect only when connected to a smartphone. Did you try to connect the A&K to your computer?

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #329 of 359
In case anyone is wondering, the AK10 works with the iPhone 6. It does sound lovely with my JH5 CIEM's :)

The A200P should work with the iPhone 6 too.

In some testing with the JH5 straight out of the iPhone (Spotify, extreme quality mode) it was very transparent, detailed and sounded pretty good, however, the AK10 adds a fills in a good deal of body, decent thump and richness. Definitely worth it when considering the elegance on top of the sound quality- a really easy, quality, uncomplicated add-on to the iPhone.

With that said, I haven't tried the E18 and would be curious about how a strap-on portable amp (e.g. E12) would fair.

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #330 of 359
  In case anyone is wondering, the AK10 works with the iPhone 6. It does sound lovely with my JH5 CIEM's :)

The A200P should work with the iPhone 6 too.

In some testing with the JH5 straight out of the iPhone (Spotify, extreme quality mode) it was very transparent, detailed and sounded pretty good, however, the AK10 adds a fills in a good deal of body, decent thump and richness. Definitely worth it when considering the elegance on top of the sound quality- a really easy, quality, uncomplicated add-on to the iPhone.

With that said, I haven't tried the E18 and would be curious about how a strap-on portable amp (e.g. E12) would fair.

Yeah, the A200P works fine with the iPhone 6.

However, when I put the A200P in bootloader mode, the firmware update software does not recognize it and therefore I cannot update the firmware.  I've tried this on mac and pc.  POS :p

I believe it does the job well, but it still feels like a cheap POS with a lousy designed volume wheel.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back