Astell & Kern AK10 portable DAC and amp
Dec 26, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #212 of 359
Gangnam, Korea

Never knew Gangnam is a place @.@ and that reminds me of... OPPA GANGNAM STYLE...OP OP OP OP... 
deadhorse.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #213 of 359

You have got to be frigging kidding me. Are you serious?! Well, this royally pisses me off. 

EDIT: Let's hope its far out of my budget..

is your buget 1200 USD? :p

I for one will be far away from my wallet for a very long time. 

PS: AK140 is due in CES2014 but it will not be out till probably June. I respect the impact AK has in our audio community but I just do not like their product release strategies from a consumer point of view. 

Are you sure its 1200? If so, wooooo! :)

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #214 of 359
I did some initial listening tests with the AK10 and my iPhone 5S.   Headphones were Audio Technica AT-ESW9A.   Not the most high-end of cans, but this is what i listen to on the go, and where the AK10 kicks in.

I initially listened to "Quarter Chicken Dark" from the Goat Rodeo Sessions - the stock 5S output actually felt a little more bassy, but it came at the cost of detail and timbre:  with the AK10, the string bass felt a lot more life-like.  The AK10 also extended the treble a little while keeping it smooth.  

Next up was Erich Kunzel's bombastic performance of "Bolero" - here, with a lot of instruments going off, the difference was much more subtle. I think  lack of precise volume matching made it hard to say for sure as well.  

Short summary:  there is a difference but only if someone is going to be listening critically.   For casual listening, the difference isnt huge.

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #217 of 359
Dec 30, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #220 of 359
Whoa. AK10 is good. I bought them used with out the usb cable, but screw it. I have AK100 for computer use. At least I got the android otg cable for it. So far so good. Sound is a bit different from AK100 to be honest though. Don't know which is better. AK10 sounds bit more colored, which I don't mind too much.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #224 of 359
Has anyone got the chance to compare the AK10 to the iBasso D42,the Fiio E18, or the headamp pico dac/amp ? I'm a little bit lost right now...
To confuse you a bit more, also look at leckerton uha-6s.mkii. Probably the best amp you can get for under $300. I own both ak10 and leckerton, and leckerton totally destroys the ak10 in all aspects(in terms of sound)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back