Astell & Kern AK10 portable DAC and amp
Dec 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #197 of 359

I dont think the amp section in this is particularly powerful either, TBH.    Quite frankly, I think this falls in a nether area, quality wise and it would be better to spend more and get a CLAS or other $500 MFi device with a *proper* amp.

It's not a bad device per se and if all you want to use it with are IEMs, it will suffice.   But given that a little more gets you an ability to drive big headphones as well, I think this product only makes sense if someone values compact size uber alles.

The thing is, I'm going to be using it only with iems. So not having enough power is fine. If I need more power, I can use UHA-6S.MKII.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #198 of 359
OK. Just demoed the AK10 and tried to purchase it, but the audio store was out of stock. Anyways, my thoughts on AK10:
Great size and form factor. I don't like the volume wheel, but I can deal with it. It's like a dream solution for portable rig. I hate carrying a extra DAP or a big amp with my phone. Also, my phone is a great music storage. But the power is indeed weak(it's powerful enough though. I powered a SRH1540 without much issue). Now, I'm just waiting for the store to call me back when they get some AK10 in stock.

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #199 of 359
I for one looking for the day where RWA is going to mod this, I do not mind carrying modestly size DAC around. It stacks rather nicely on top of MHd-Q7. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #200 of 359
  I for one looking for the day where RWA is going to mod this, I do not mind carrying modestly size DAC around. It stacks rather nicely on top of MHd-Q7. 

Mod it to do what?

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #201 of 359

Mod it to do what?

Sound better. RWA has modded both the AK100 and the AK120, next could be the AK10. What would be interesting is them modding the AKR01 :xf_eek:

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #202 of 359
Guys, I found this is quite strange that the sound volume can be adjusted by both the phone and the AK10. As the AK10 with dac and amp sections, should the amp of the phone is by pass and only use the AK10 to adjust sound volume. Pls advise if you know the reason. Thx.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #205 of 359
  Guys, I found this is quite strange that the sound volume can be adjusted by both the phone and the AK10. As the AK10 with dac and amp sections, should the amp of the phone is by pass and only use the AK10 to adjust sound volume. Pls advise if you know the reason. Thx.

What phone are you using and how did you connect it? @.@
  OK. Just demoed the AK10 and tried to purchase it, but the audio store was out of stock. Anyways, my thoughts on AK10:
Great size and form factor. I don't like the volume wheel, but I can deal with it. It's like a dream solution for portable rig. I hate carrying a extra DAP or a big amp with my phone. Also, my phone is a great music storage. But the power is indeed weak(it's powerful enough though. I powered a SRH1540 without much issue). Now, I'm just waiting for the store to call me back when they get some AK10 in stock.

You bought the SRH1540? Congrats! How does it sound though?

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #207 of 359

Sound better. RWA has modded both the AK100 and the AK120, next could be the AK10. What would be interesting is them modding the AKR01 :xf_eek:

They have just announced AKR02!

You have got to be frigging kidding me. Are you serious?! Well, this royally pisses me off. 

EDIT: Let's hope its far out of my budget..

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #208 of 359
  You have got to be frigging kidding me. Are you serious?! Well, this royally pisses me off. 

EDIT: Let's hope its far out of my budget..

is your buget 1200 USD? :p

I for one will be far away from my wallet for a very long time. 

PS: AK140 is due in CES2014 but it will not be out till probably June. I respect the impact AK has in our audio community but I just do not like their product release strategies from a consumer point of view. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back