Astell & Kern AK10 portable DAC and amp
Dec 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #151 of 359
Hi everybody.
Can somebody force to work iPad with ios 7 with hd files ( onkyo hf player). I can't . When I connect ak10 to iPad throuout cck, iOS says that ak10 needs to much energy and cannot be used.
Any ideas,
Thanks

The AK10 does work with older iDevices running iOS 7 with the CCK and the supplied USB cable. I have tried iPhone 4S, iPad2 and they all work fine. But you have to first turn on the power to the AK10 before connecting otherwise the device might complain and strange things can happen. I have run into an issue with the iPad2 that it froze and wouldn't respond to anything anymore. I have to wait until it shuts down itself and reboot. I guess that's why older devices with the old 30-pin connector isn't officially supported by the AK10.

If your iPad is the one with the Lightning connector, there is no reason to use a CCK. I have tried the iPod Touch 5G and the iPad mini w/Retina and both work without any problems with the supplied Lightning cable. All the iPads also aren't listed as officially supported, but I guess A&K just don't bother to list them on their site since they market it as hifi for your smart phones. Otherwise I see nothing why the iPod Touch 5G would behave any differently than the iPad mini.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #152 of 359
The AK10 does work with older iDevices running iOS 7 with the CCK and the supplied USB cable. I have tried iPhone 4S, iPad2 and they all work fine. But you have to first turn on the power to the AK10 before connecting otherwise the device might complain and strange things can happen. I have run into an issue with the iPad2 that it froze and wouldn't respond to anything anymore. I have to wait until it shuts down itself and reboot. I guess that's why older devices with the old 30-pin connector isn't officially supported by the AK10.

If your iPad is the one with the Lightning connector, there is no reason to use a CCK. I have tried the iPod Touch 5G and the iPad mini w/Retina and both work without any problems with the supplied Lightning cable. All the iPads also aren't listed as officially supported, but I guess A&K just don't bother to list them on their site since they market it as hifi for your smart phones. Otherwise I see nothing why the iPod Touch 5G would behave any differently than the iPad mini.

Thanks for comment. I tested ak10 with iPad air and got this issue . For sure ak10 can works direct with own lightning cable , but I want to get ability to listen HD files. How I can do it without cck?

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #153 of 359
I guess for serious audiophiles, that might be good. But for bit more mainstream market, ak10 is already good enough.

That's the thing - all these companies are making $1000 products geared at audiophiles, many of whom DO want a stacked sandwich to drive their headphone of choice.   It amazes me that no one has decided to just make a high-quality portable DAC + memory reader, freeing people to use their amp of choice.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #154 of 359

That's the thing - all these companies are making $1000 products geared at audiophiles, many of whom DO want a stacked sandwich to drive their headphone of choice.   It amazes me that no one has decided to just make a high-quality portable DAC + memory reader, freeing people to use their amp of choice.

Lol. You have no clue how many non-audiophiles might have purchased AK100. I mean, I've seen users in Korea buying the AK100 to pair them with beats. That being said, I think AK10 was meant to be for tech sabby people, not dead serious audiophiles.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #155 of 359
  Lol. You have no clue how many non-audiophiles might have purchased AK100. I mean, I've seen users in Korea buying the AK100 to pair them with beats. That being said, I think AK10 was meant to be for tech sabby people, not dead serious audiophiles.

Ha, true dat, i suppose.

Well, I am still on my quest, anyway :)

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #156 of 359

Within the context of Head-Fi, iDevice dacs and their line-outs are pretty ubiquitous now. Cyperlabs in particular. The next evolution was always going to be losing the third stack and having quality built-in headphone amps

Personally I think AK10 and Herus compete in different circles. I can see a case for owning a dac+amp stack alongside these small all-in-one devices

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #157 of 359

Within the context of Head-Fi, iDevice dacs and their line-outs are pretty ubiquitous now. Cyperlabs in particular. The next evolution was always going to be losing the third stack and having quality built-in headphone amps

Well, that can go 2 ways.     Audiphiles want control over their DAC and over their amp, but 3-slab stacks get a bit too much for most people.

One way to lose the third stack would be to sell what is essentially a high-quality DAC, with a front-end interface/music player built in, to pair with the user's choice of amplification.    

There are plenty of two-box all-in-one solutions (DAC + amps) as well as a three-box solution (CLAS + amp).   The only thing that seems to be missing to me is a two-box solution of a different type.

Atleast, that's what it seems to me.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #159 of 359
Ordered on Amazon! Looking forward to test this with my UE900s before my Roxannes arrive 
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #161 of 359
How would the iphone+AK10 compare to a stand alone player like a X3 or DX50 assuming the same source file?

A little wet bind the ears and in the market to boost my listening exp after getting the FAD IV :)

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #162 of 359
Hello there,

I'm curious how this AK10 compares against the Pico DAC/AMP combo...

Anyone got the chance to compare them ?

Anyway I ordered one (AK10) and should receive it in a few days, I will post my impressions versus the AK100 that I sold recently (disappointed by the boring and recessed mid range).

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #163 of 359
  I've had the AK10 for a couple of weeks now, driving my UE 900 and UM Miracle from an iPhone 5S. Will post a pic or two once I have site permission.

I do like the look and feel of the AK10. It's smaller and lighter than I'd expected and the controls work well. It's possible to nudge the volume up or down in much smaller steps than the 5S buttons allow, though the wheel gets stuck sometimes. I expect it will loosen over time.

My initial impressions of the sound are mixed. Compared with the 5S, the AK10 is warmer and the notes thicker, making a richer sound which I think most people will appreciate. To my ears this comes at a cost though, as music loses some clarity and detail.

I'll post more thoughts once I've had it a while longer.

A quick update on the above: I'm really enjoying this little DAC/amp now. After listening for several weeks it's hard to go back to listening through the iPhone 5S alone. The AK10 is warm, rich and has an incredible 3D quality (with UM Miracle) that I haven't heard before. It's a pleasure to listen to. 

A few (very) minor gripes: There is a small amount of background noise and some occasional phone reception interference. The volume wheel sometimes gets stuck.

On the whole I'm really pleased though. I would like to hear some more comparisons with the AK100 and AK120. If I could get a little more clarity I'd be interested in another upgrade. I'd certainly like to see the release of an Astell&Kern AK12 :wink:

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #165 of 359
I had the AK10 several weeks with my Android phone and enjoyed the lush sound. Only one problem is the original android connection cable of 0.8m too long and not a superior quality. Does anyone know any brand connection cable for this AK10. Thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back