Astell & Kern AK10 portable DAC and amp
Nov 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #136 of 359
Just had a quick look inside AK10, battery is user replaceable as it is plug and play type of thing. There is a little bit of empty room inside the device which moding community can use.

I for one find the low end of AK10 more pronounced than AK120, it is much more meaty than AK120. Volume wise I think it has just about the same volume as AK120. All and all AK120 wins because of soundstage, the rest I honestly thing AK10 does quiet right.

Perhaps the major issue with AK10 that it is not as quiet as AK120 at louder volumes. I can hear a faint sort of humming sound. 
Okay it seems that the humming sound is not there when I have the ipod set on flight mod. I need to conform this but for now I think it is a poor sheilding issue. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #138 of 359
If anyone is getting this and has the Sony PHA-1, I would love some comparisons between the two with the use of an iphone 5. :D

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #139 of 359
Hard to imagine that there is some space left... But sounds great!
Would love to see some mods...
Mine is coming monday... Cant wait!

Please let us know how you like it. Also I can conform that the camera kit and onkyo app do work and the unit can handle 24/96 and can upsample us well but honestly sonically I cannot see the need. The camera kit adds a bulk and extra cash which is just last think we need in ultra portable set up.

I am doing another run this week with other gears I have so I can decide for good what is the proper tonality of AK10 but for now to my ears it is definitly on the warm organic side with a very nicely presented mid. 

Here is a photo from AK10 internal: 

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #141 of 359
You can playback 24/96 flac and even 24/192 but it will not be played back at those resolution.With the CCK you can playback 24/96 max without having any downsampling.
What I do with the onkyo app is load my flac files so I do not have to convert it to alac or resample it to so I can transfer it to my ipod touch. Also the onkyo app provides a nice EQ setup which works nicely. 

So to answer your question no. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #142 of 359
just got my ak10!
the first impression was very good!
very nice box! was surprised to get a leather case (at this price point). It is a very convenient case!
The device itself is smaller than I expected...
As far as sound goes I really like it! its definitely more on the warm side of things... I compared it to a ak120.
I musst say that the ak120 offers more detail (especially in the highs) (You know the sounds when you hear the artist breathe...)
The soundstage is also a bit better with the ak120.
Still, while using the ak10 I never felt like "ou no where is my ak120"!
But can we really compare the two? I mean the ak10 costs just a quarter of the ak120!
In terms of value I am 100% happy! for 299$ its a good deal!
The only thing I would have loved to see would be a a clip on the back of the device and a longer thunderbolt cable so you could use the ak10 just like a ipod shuffle and clip it somewhere on your shirt...
Other than that its really good (especially with IEMs).

Dec 2, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #144 of 359
Great device. Portable, dynamic sound.

As the AK10 is slightly mid centric, pairs great with Denon D600, which have a U or V shaped frequency response. I have the Cypherlab Solo + ALO RxMK2 and this little device does not sound that far off and most importantly, the AK10 does not weigh a kilo and look like bomb on an airplane.

From a sound perspective, the obvious features of added dynamism, widened soundstage, power to the bass notes are all included.

I have actually ended up using the AK10 a lot. I have had it for the past 2 weeks everyday and have it permanent connect to my iPod. I stopped using the Solo+RxMK2 after a week.

I wished they made the AK10 flatter though by maybe moving the battery so it is next to the wheel so it's rectangular but flatter such that i can just stick it to the back of my iPod.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #145 of 359
I've had the AK10 for a couple of weeks now, driving my UE 900 and UM Miracle from an iPhone 5S. Will post a pic or two once I have site permission.

I do like the look and feel of the AK10. It's smaller and lighter than I'd expected and the controls work well. It's possible to nudge the volume up or down in much smaller steps than the 5S buttons allow, though the wheel gets stuck sometimes. I expect it will loosen over time.

My initial impressions of the sound are mixed. Compared with the 5S, the AK10 is warmer and the notes thicker, making a richer sound which I think most people will appreciate. To my ears this comes at a cost though, as music loses some clarity and detail.

I'll post more thoughts once I've had it a while longer.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #146 of 359
Erm, with 1.7V out, this isn't really much of an amp, is it?    

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #148 of 359
Hi everybody.
Can somebody force to work iPad with ios 7 with hd files ( onkyo hf player). I can't . When I connect ak10 to iPad throuout cck, iOS says that ak10 needs to much energy and cannot be used.
Any ideas,
Thanks

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #149 of 359
  It's more about the DAC feature than an amp.

Yeah, I spose so.

I'd really like to see a simple DAP which doesn't bother with an amp - just a source reader/UI that works really well and a good LO.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back