Astell&Kern AK Zero1 Hybrid IEM
Nov 3, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #77 of 78
Would still love to see a review of these Zero2 if somebody out there has them. :relaxed: Heck, even some sensible impressions would be very helpful. My thanks in advance! :pray:

Nov 4, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #78 of 78
Would still love to see a review of these Zero2 if somebody out there has them. :relaxed: Heck, even some sensible impressions would be very helpful. My thanks in advance! :pray:
Must BUYs!! (factoring these elements; )

studio/reference grade IEMs. (no flavour of their own imparted, so much as just 'getting out of the way' and showing what is there)
will rip apart anything and render a perfect playback.
soundstage is accurate. I prefer to large over ears in this regard (Ultrasone Edition 5 besting, IM(not so humble)O, Senn HD800s, besting/equalling AKG kx12s/70x etc..)

why/how?

integrity of the soundfield-

yes it is technically a smaller 'circle', but it is linear/scales equally in all directions (this represents a very hard feat to achieve in home audio components and generally associates with very high cost/calibre setups)
very balanced and capable of exceptional detail retrieval... (but layers well enough to spot what is going on even in complex tracks, where the resolve NEVER feels congested... (somehow gives a very good rendering of the audio as if on crazy high end setups; yes I gather I am repeating.. but they sound akin to the best reference rigs I have heard, and even if I had more to spend I simply would not do so...)
The planar tweeter seems to return an analogue 'top end' to the sound, whilst the tuning and cavity design (lifted via collaborative efforts with the industries best multidriver IEM makers)(the blurb on the box even SAYS SO ;-p ), the dual armatures and the knowledgeable way they were customised and implemented achieves a 'valve like' vocal playback (akin to Bose 301s (speakers)).

Running off an A&K SP2000T, I heard the best rendition of 'Minnie the Moocher' (Blues Brothers soundtrack) just two days ago... even though I have had these for 'awhile'.
The silver Zero1 include a single ended headphone cable and the black Zero1 come with a balanced cable (cable colours being 'shiny and silver' for the silver, and 'very black' for the black ones (internal cable materials both being akin to a relatively nice ALO cable (not sure if cryogenic though (generally don't need audio through them in the last few weeks to 'sound their best'))..
When pairing with the SP2000T the balanced cable elevated the game significantly (hence the Minnie the Moocher comment), in part due to driving them at less than half volume for equal sound level as the single ended at 3/5ths mark etc..; probably had the amp in a better spot in its power curve, but also; balanced mode doubles the slew rate in amp circuits I seem to look at, so, 'a few reasons for the improvements overall' (DAP dependant of course).. in the case of the SP2000T, which I use in 'valve mode' exclusively as it renders the DAP as a 'very musical' source), which I believe in single ended mode is only using half the circuit.. (the much greater output power does yield a much better controlled playback when driving at low volumes..)

Why does the experience of this DAP matter?
The reason these are excellent source IEMs is their perfect sensitivity for matching with MOST low powered equipment, and yet they scale so well when moving up to AudioGd R28/Burson Conductor V2/Grace m903 ('nice' headamps).
The scaleability is what reveals, to me, they are better than the price they sell at.
The reason they were passed over by many, no doubt, was the lack of positive prose from most, many users never giving them the 800hours they need to shine. (clearly they were designed for their 'settled' sound quality).
That Planar driver (planars need break in) is so high in the frequency range that VERY LITTLE info is moving through that part, and massively exacerbates the time it takes before the humps and peaks (the edge zones where the drivers 'cross over') actually integrate correctly.

playing 'Returnal' (a 'third person shooter' game), height information is better than most (super) expensive kit, and the rendered soundfield is cleaner than Sony MDR-Z7 etc... These are 'game changer' accurate and it is easy targeting off screen kills as you know where everything is (distance/direction and elevation)

The Edition 5 is a more natural soundfield (less 'studio reference', but 'larger/airier' due in part to 's-logic+', an Ultrasone R&D refinement).. which renders more in front... The Zero1 are perfect for re-eq and 'surround' emulation etc..

They need huge time firing sound down the wire for the three different driver types to land their ultimate sound curve (every review I can find describes their sound at around their 80hour mark. At 800hours use, the high frequency and mids have 'settled' and integrate exceptionally smoothly/well and the output comes across as the most detailed sound, with accurate soundfield placement that I could want... (I trialed IEMs at double the price, and found everything 'a mess', vs what the AKM Zero1 offers, for half price or even less)..

The scaling return for investment past this price point makes anything that may slap these down is truly a much more expensive price proposition. (and would require expensive ancillories to resolve a better experience in a meaningful way).

too long; didn't read (?!)
studio neutral sound with a exceptional soundstage (perfect for movies and gaming) (but more so for music as the tonal qualities being so perfect, which contribute to 'surround' HeadRelatedTransferFunction being interpretable in a meaningful way, is of course also useful for hearing 'what is in the recording' as it SHOULD BE.. (anyone using an Anthem sound processor in their theatre room knows what AnthemRoomCorrection can do in terms of recreating the studio source track as if in, erm, 'the studio'.; that is simply my best reference to what these are like.. (YES- they sound akin to what many exclaim is 'the best')

detail retrieval and musical playback that seems to make notes sound spot on .. (they could rip apart DAC differences in a heartbeat, made the QP1R (Questyle DAP) sound digital and 'eek' vs an A&K SE700 (piano notes having a 'peeling mid tone or 'ring' ' that lesser DAC chips just don't give... (the SE700 had a reconfigured AKM DAC chip (x2) incorporating lessons learned from the 4497/4499 chips.
(the 4492en being a very musical/incredible little chip!!)).

If I only had one piece of speaker kit to do everything; it'd be these. (no brainer)

I bought two sets; one for the cupboard as these are a steal at RRP and even better if found for less....

@warrenpchi edited as the post was initially written on a bus, and my stop came up...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back