Astell & Kern AK T9iE
Jul 26, 2019 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

ChrisHeld1989

500+ Head-Fier
Does somebody heard about this new DD driver iem from Astell & Kern? I love DD iems and i want to know if the AK T9iE has some improvements. How does it sound? Has it a different tuning? What about the size of the stage and so on. If somebody knows something, please post! :)

https://us.astellnkern.com/products/ak-t9ie?variant=20983319920699

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 49
Does somebody heard about this new DD driver iem from Astell & Kern? I love DD iems and i want to know if the AK T9iE has some improvements. How does it sound? Has it a different tuning? What about the size of the stage and so on. If somebody knows something, please post! :)

https://us.astellnkern.com/products/ak-t9ie?variant=20983319920699

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-socal-2019-impressions-thread.909385/page-15#post-15027066

7FB8CFE6-50A6-49E2-8400-C145C526A1F6.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 49
Well, the T9iE just went up a hundred bucks from $1199 to $1299 on their website.

I love my T8iE's, but their warranty is crap at 1 year on high-end IEMs. I bought mine before they were so famous, and only paid $700.
One side went out and I contacted A&K to get information on the repair process.
I just bought another pair of demo units for $60 more than the repair price + 3 week minimum time (they have to be returned overseas).

PS: Mebe I'm dealing with browser cache. It appears the price is back down to $1199 for the T9iE

PPS: I guess it was indeed a browser cache issue - the price is back up to $1,299.00.

Steve

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 49
We recently received a production-voiced AK T9iE at the office, so I took it home with me last night to do some listening. There is no doubt that the T9iE possesses a more reference tuning compared to the T8iE and the Xelento. Honestly, this is right up my alley. I might have to bump up the mid-bass via EQ when I'm wanting a bit more impact down low, but the T9iE so far seems to respond well to EQ so that shouldn't be any trouble. I've only been listening for a short time, so I do want to spend more time with it.

My only gripe so far is the stock cable. Not for any sonic reasons, but because it simply doesn't fit me well. I ended up grabbing one of the aftermarket MMCX cables we have at the office and it improved the fit and comfort dramatically.

If you're looking for the more fun signature of the T8iE or Xelento, you're best off sticking with those instead. If you're into a more reference signature like myself, this is the most convincing sibling in the family to date.

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 49

I haven't given it much ear-time yet.

My initial thoughts are very good. Very clear, with great detail and transparency. I couldn't get a good fit with the stock tips, so I'm using Symbio Ws. The bass is full and thumping. To my ears its a little over neutral. Not a bass-head sig, but satisfying as hell. More like the Meze 99 Classics.

The mids don't seem missing in any way shape or form. Vocals aren't far back on the stage at all.

Treble is sparkly and sweet. They avoided making it cold or dry, which too many manufacturers do.

So far, I really like what I'm hearing.

PS. I like the cable. It works well for me.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 49
Available for pre-order on Astell&Kern site for $1299

AK T8iE MKII vs. AK T9iE

AK T8iE MKII
Vent hole
One-layer grille filter
High-grade transparent silver-plated cable
2.5mm cable + 3.5mm cable
5 sizes of ear tips
Designed by beyerdynamic

AK T9iE
New acoustic vent port
Two-layer acoustic filter
4N pure silver and 7N OCC copper hybrid cable
2.5mm cable + 2.5 to 3.5 interconnector
7 sizes of ear tips
Designed by Astell&Kern

Oct 7, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 49
Anymore impressions of this? It’s seemed to have gone a little under the radar... how does it compare with others in the price range? (Andromeda, Sony m9 etc)

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #11 of 49
tried it few days ago , impressed me a lot !
now the hottest single dynamic drive IEM with metal case on market are acoustune 1695ti and AK T9ie , i like them both , none of others dynamic driver IEM in this price range can touch them , not even close

1695ti

thinker and warmer mid , female vocal sound sweet and upfront , fair soundstage , clarity and bass decay fast but with punch if drive properly

AK T9ie

bigger soundstage , both wilder and deeper , clarity and analytic ability very impressed , Bass with more power and groove , punchy even with small output power player
vocal sound thinner and colder than 1695ti

conclusion : both won't disappointed anyone , but T9ie suit more music kind and 1695ti suit Romantic love songs more

PS: 1695ti user , plan to buy T9ie as well:darthsmile:

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #13 of 49
Oct 21, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 49
Flex is perfectly natural for dynamic drivers. It's not a bad thing. It means you've achieved a proper seal for best sound.

Well, unless they literally stop playing at all because of it. I have had this issue with a few IEMs (Atlas, for example), maybe due to my narrow ear canals...:triportsad:. This is, when proper venting is badly needed. Not talking about the T9ie though...because I have not heard them yet.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #15 of 49
I just have the new T9 and I’m liking them.

Fit is great as the shells are very small size and light. Build quality is top notch as well. Nozzle is unique oval shaped and the stock tips are custom oval shaped tips too; they are very soft and seals well. Works well with normal third party tips as well.

Still early days and I have yet to do further listening. But initial impression is that they have a neutral and balanced sound but is also lively as well. It’s amazing for the sound quality from a single dynamic driver! Going to give them some listening time further but I’m feeling it’s going to be keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back