Astell & Kern AK T9iE
Oct 24, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #16 of 49
Well, unless they literally stop playing at all because of it. I have had this issue with a few IEMs (Atlas, for example), maybe due to my narrow ear canals...:triportsad:. This is, when proper venting is badly needed. Not talking about the T9ie though...because I have not heard them yet.

I would not be quick to attribute driver failure to flex. This is, after all, how drivers function, by flexing. There are other possibilities which are more likely.

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #17 of 49
Hi!

No, actually I wasn t exactly attributing it with failure - don t worry. Neither did I want to say anything bad about the T9i - I am actually very exitited about them. Just wanted to generally point out that in some rare cases driver flex can lead to „no sound“, because the topic just came up in this thread. What other possibilities do you see for this phenenomen? Most people I have talked about it with told me it is driver flex caused by a vacuum because of my narrow ear canals....

Oct 24, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #18 of 49
Hi!

No, actually I wasn t exactly attributing it with failure - don t worry. Neither did I want to say anything bad about the T9i - I am actually very exitited about them. Just wanted to generally point out that in some rare cases driver flex can lead to „no sound“, because the topic just came up in this thread. What other possibilities do you see for this phenenomen? Most people I have talked about it with told me it is driver flex caused by a vacuum because of my narrow ear canals....

Other possibilities that your IEM stopped working. Such as faulty component, bad solder joint, moisture, ghosts, unseen damaged caused by a jostle, etc...

Oct 24, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #19 of 49
Other possibilities that your IEM stopped working. Such as faulty component, bad solder joint, moisture, ghosts, unseen damaged caused by a jostle, etc...

Nope, that was definitely not the case. I have had this phenomenon several times with several (about 3 or 4) IEMs, some of them were demo units at headphone shows. All of them either DDs or Hybrids. While they worked fine in other people’s ears, in my ears they stopped working partly or completely. If I pulled them out just a little bit - that broke seal and I could hear something again. Using foam tips usually solved the problem, because that also decreased the inner ear pressure/vacuum. Last time it happened at the Tokyo Headphone Show at the Campfire booth...with the Atlas. I talked to the Campfire staff and they told me a few other people had experienced this, too, and it is driver flex. Membrane simply stops swinging. Search the Atlas thread for it, too.
I tried the Atlas again on other occasions- was exactly the same. Really does not work in my ears. The Equinox worked fine - but it has an improved venting system (also confirmed by Campfire staff). Believe me, this kind of driver flex exists...though it might only concern a few people. And venting is essential in this case.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #20 of 49
No driver flex issue for me so far. After getting a complete seal in the ears, the earphones do make a little sound when pressed/compressed into ears but there's no weird sound at all when music is playing. I would think this is normal as the T9 has improved bigger vents. I was more worried about sound leakage due to the larger vents but to my surprise, there is absolutely no leakage. They sound great so far. They are like listening to high quality loudspeakers in a sound room. Deep bass with precision control, warm and clear vocal, airy presentation with extended high as well as great soundstage, imaging and layering. They are my new favourite iems.

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #21 of 49
Hi,

Just to share some additional comments from my experience on the new AK T9iE. I'm just a normal music lover and am not a highly experienced audiophile, so forgive me if I've said anything incorrectly.

I've had the new AK T9iE for over a week now and I think I have clocked in >24hrs on them so far. I'm still happy with it overall.

Not sure why that there're not much discussions on the AK T9iE. There are only a few published reviews that I found and their conclusions are generally good. There are also some who commented the T9 lack mid bass, some said the mid is missing, some said instruments lacked crispness/energy, etc. I guess everyone taste are different but I didn't observe any of these from the T9 that I've been listening for a week now.

Note that I have since swapped out the stock silver & copper hybrid cable to a silver-plated copper (SPC) cable. I preferred the SPC for everyday listening on pop, rock, edm and other modern genres, With the SPC, there are more detail, clarity and energy with a more airy presentation. The hybrid cable is more warmer and smoother with a bigger presentation; and is more suitable for classical, jazz, blues, etc. in my opinion. However, it depends on personal preferences.

On both cables, the performance of the low, mid and treble as well as other technicalities are quite similar, just a different presentation and preference. Overall, the T9's sound tuning is very balanced, smooth and enjoyable/musical. There are ample low which are tight, detailed and controlled with sufficiently fast response. The mid is very balanced as well, with a linear response across the lower and upper mid-range. Lower mid is good with male vocal having body and non-nasal sounding. Upper mid is clear with equal amount of energy with female vocal sounding warm and non-sibilant. Treble is well extended compared to average; percussions like cymbals, hi-hats, snares etc all have great texture and clarity. Both lower and upper treble has sufficient brightness yet are silky smooth ( not 64 Audio level treble, more like towards qdc type of treble I think... I like 64 Audio & qdc but can't afford them LOL ).

The soundstage is great, not the widest but better than average with a good depth and average height. I feel the SPC opens up the stage a bit more due to more airy presentation. Imaging and separation is also better with SPC in my option.

On non audio related, it comes with a nice case but is a bit on the big side. It's still portable though; and looks & smells like real leather. The stock hybrid cable is beautiful and supposed to be audiophile-grade, same as the one packaged with the AK T5p 2nd Gen headphone ( I heard that it originally took 2 years to design and was more difficult than designing DAP lol ). I'm happy with the MMCX connection (not too tight and not too loose) and mine have not popped loose easily. Stock tips comes in both silicone and foam tips. I feel the stock silicone tips are best sounding and they come in 7 sizes!. Due to unique oval-shaped nozzle and tips, they may not fit everyone properly. Personally, I get a good fit after some time with the stock tips but the seal breaks easily when there are movement. Good thing is aftermarket tips work well; and the T9 is very responsive to tips rolling, so it's a good thing. One nitpick is there are no markings on the form insert for the tips size. However, there are size marking on the individual tips at the base of the stem. Personally I have not much to complain on the packaging and accessories.

There is only one thing to point out - driver flex. Mine has it (both sides), as well as a couple of other new sets that I've tested. It is the sound of the driver movement (crinkling sound) when they are subjected to pressure such as during inserting and removing the iems from the ears. Other that that, there are no issues using and listening to the earphones. Personally, it should not be called driver flex and it's not an issue, unless it has developed into a serious problem. I believe all dynamic drivers have driver flex due to their nature. Some will have more and some less or none (not hearable but may still flex), depending on thinness of drivers, materials, venting design, etc). Mine makes the flex sound since day 1 every time I insert/remove/adjust the earpieces. So far no problem and I have been testing the earphones & tips rolling like crazy (finger crossed). I not too worried as the earphone is covered with 1 year warranty or 2 years depending on regions. I will update if there are any changes to this 'issue'.

To me, the T9iE is beautifully designed with a great sound quality (reference / neutral tuning). I'm very happy to have it and hope to have many enjoyable hours with it.

Cheers, and pardon me if anything is inaccurate. Below are some photos.

upload_2019-10-31_17-5-7.png

upload_2019-10-31_17-5-29.png

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #23 of 49
This week's First Look article is all about the Astell&Kern AK T9iE IEM: https://www.headfonia.com/astell-kern-ak-t9ie/

Great to hear this. Currently there are a few more reviews from non-English speaking countries, possibly due to the new AK T9iE havIng reached the rest of the world only recently. I‘m excited and look forward to the detailed review and more. Thanks.

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #24 of 49
TechHive review of the AK T9IE:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3445388/astell-and-kern-t9ie-review.amp.html

Couldn’t agree more with what was said in the review. As said, the T9 bass is even better with a higher quality amp/dap. I also agree about the cable plug. It’s a big plug compared to the usual ones but it’s not an issue for me personally in normal use. I kind like it after a while as it’s unique lol.

Nov 30, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #26 of 49
Demo'd these a few days ago. Simple and quick impressions for anyone considering these iem's.
Overall pretty balanced signature, frequency. Nothing really special sound wise, i found them to be pretty lackluster. The biggest problem was the ergonomics, Terrible! unfortunately.
These are really difficult to get a good fit due to the short, thin and oddly shaped nozzle.

Overall, good balanced sound but nothing special. Don't blind buy! as you should definitely check the fit first.
I'm always happy to see companies attempting Dynamic driver in ears as the market is over saturated with Balanced armatures. But in this price range and demoing them side by side, the Andromeda's are a better buy. I also found the Atlas from campfire audio to be better although to bass heavy for me.

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #27 of 49
I hope AK learned from all those dead T8iE that they got due to poor mmcx and driver failures.

Be cautious people, as someone who exclusively collects dynamic driver iem, any iem of mine that developed flexing eventually failed.

Dec 25, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #29 of 49
Here’s a recent test about the AK T9iE improvements and sound comparison against the T8iE and Xelento. It is in Chinese, so google translate to read it:
https://m.sohu.com/a/362655444_465976/?pvid=000115_3w_a

They have tested and confirmed that the T9iE is not about just changing of the shell and replacement of the cable; as the sound has indeed been upgraded and optimized.

Below is the overall result of the sound comparison between the three iems.

High Frequency: T9iE > Xelento > T8iE
Mid Frequency: T9iE > T8iE > Xelento
Low Frequency: T9iE > Xelento > T8iE
Transient Response: Not much difference between the three as they use same Tesla driver which sound fast and clean
Dynamic Range: T8iE > Xelento > T9iE (note the T9iE is still new unit and has not been run in enough)

I can concur regarding the dynamic range of the T9iE is not great out of the box. My unit has now clocked >100 hrs and I found it has improved a lot and even better than some of my other multi-driver iems.

Hope it helps.

Dec 25, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #30 of 49
Demo'd these a few days ago. Simple and quick impressions for anyone considering these iem's.
Overall pretty balanced signature, frequency. Nothing really special sound wise, i found them to be pretty lackluster. The biggest problem was the ergonomics, Terrible! unfortunately.
These are really difficult to get a good fit due to the short, thin and oddly shaped nozzle.

Overall, good balanced sound but nothing special. Don't blind buy! as you should definitely check the fit first.
I'm always happy to see companies attempting Dynamic driver in ears as the market is over saturated with Balanced armatures. But in this price range and demoing them side by side, the Andromeda's are a better buy. I also found the Atlas from campfire audio to be better although to bass heavy for me.

Those Napoleon hat tips are indeed a pita to get the seal right. It’s still doable if you wear them the right way and your ear canals are more matching with those tips profile. Don’t try to deep insert them as they only work with shallow insertion. Alternatively you can get 100% seal easily with any third party silicon tips like Spinfit, Spiral Dots, Symbio etc. and even generic silicon tips. For the T9iE I recommend you try Spinfit CP155 or Final Type E as so far I found they give the best clarity and overall great sound quality on the T9iE.

Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back