Astell&Kern AK T8iE MkⅡ(Impressions and discussions thread)
Mar 25, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #91 of 256
I only auditioned the Andromeda biefly. To me the Andromeda had an uppermid emphasis and I struggled to disseminate the lower mids. The Beyers were better in this regard. As is the HD650, LCD2, SE846, SE215s, and HD800S.

Bear in mind I did not have the time to play around with tips, I heard silicone tips.

I had the same issue with Andromeda and other "reference" IEMs (Zeus). I have trouble adjusting to it, it sounded like a "wall of mids" to me, although I enjoyed relatively mid-centric IEMs in the past (SE535). But I guess we're not all the same, I enjoy mids but only when there is enough space between instruments. For example my Fidue Sirius just has very lush mids, making it easy to pick up instruments.

While I'm here, I tried my T8iE with the same FiiO balanced cable as my Rose Cappuccinos MK2 (FiiO RC-SE1B) since I bought a second identical cable. And the result is surprising, they both sound very close, with the AK having a touch less lower bass, a touch more higher bass, and slightly brighter treble (cymbals). The Cappuccinos are a bit more realistic when it comes to drums, but overall we're talking about minor differences.
It's funny how using the same cable really close the gap that I initially had when using stock cables.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #92 of 256

Awesome, thanks so much for the info. So many DAPS and no opportunity to demo them unfortunately so appreciate the impressions. 

No worries. There are a couple of good reviews here and on youtube if you haven't already seen them.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #93 of 256

I had the same issue with Andromeda and other "reference" IEMs (Zeus). I have trouble adjusting to it, it sounded like a "wall of mids" to me, although I enjoyed relatively mid-centric IEMs in the past (SE535). But I guess we're not all the same, I enjoy mids but only when there is enough space between instruments. For example my Fidue Sirius just has very lush mids, making it easy to pick up instruments.

While I'm here, I tried my T8iE with the same FiiO balanced cable as my Rose Cappuccinos MK2 (FiiO RC-SE1B) since I bought a second identical cable. And the result is surprising, they both sound very close, with the AK having a touch less lower bass, a touch more higher bass, and slightly brighter treble (cymbals). The Cappuccinos are a bit more realistic when it comes to drums, but overall we're talking about minor differences.
It's funny how using the same cable really close the gap that I initially had when using stock cables.

How would you compare the Sirius with the T8iE? I'm most interested in the staging, imaging, tonal balance, and resolution. I purchased the T8iE but it hasn't arrived yet.

Apr 3, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #94 of 256

I am buying the T8 but also need a new DAP and noticed you have the DX200. Is this a good pairing? I like detailed but musical sigs. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've had the T8iE for a few days now. I'll just say this. The DX200 pairs well with everything I have. The T8iE sounds awesome. Very musical and balanced. Good detail and space. The bass presence is exactly where I like it. It's got good impact too. I don't know why this IEM isn't more popular. It has such a refined sound. I think I prefer it to my Katana!

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #96 of 256
Has anyone tried the Oppo HA-2 with these t8ie's? I'm not sure why, but I'm not getting the best synergy between the two, and I've never had a problem with the HA-2 before. It's not that they sound bad, but I prefer them paired with my Xperia XZ phone, which is weird. Any thoughts and any dac/amp recommendations? Chord mojo maybe?

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #97 of 256
  Has anyone tried the Oppo HA-2 with these t8ie's? I'm not sure why, but I'm not getting the best synergy between the two, and I've never had a problem with the HA-2 before. It's not that they sound bad, but I prefer them paired with my Xperia XZ phone, which is weird. Any thoughts and any dac/amp recommendations? Chord mojo maybe?

I love how they pair with the DX200 but YMMV. That said, I feel like the DX200 works well with everything I have.

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #98 of 256

Try ALO Rx (iem edition). It cost around 160-180$ used and around 249-299 new on the ALO website. I auditioned mojo (extremely short soundstage - too bad for t8ie), ifi iDSD, mini-m8, some fio amps, but Alo Rx is just the best out there for couple years. It brings a lots of dynamics, juice and transparency. What is the most important - the ears and the brain are not tired even if I spend the whole day in it and they do not get used to the sound. So, it's sound signature never become boring, in contrast to absolutely any daps and amp\dacs I have tried, and I tried pretty much everything before 2017 (excluding fiio x5iii, DX200 etc.). But I'm 100% sure that current DAPs suffer of the same issues as their predecessors. There is almost no difference in sound between ALO Rx and Chord Hugo, this is how good it is.    

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #99 of 256
  I've had the T8iE for a few days now. I'll just say this. The DX200 pairs well with everything I have. The T8iE sounds awesome. Very musical and balanced. Good detail and space. The bass presence is exactly where I like it. It's got good impact too. I don't know why this IEM isn't more popular. It has such a refined sound. I think I prefer it to my Katana!

I think the main reason why people are deterred from them mainly stems from QC and warranty issues. IMO they have everything it takes to be popular - good sound, good fit, well-known brands and gorgeous looks, all at a quite reasonable price compared to top flight BA's cost these day.

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #100 of 256
  I think the main reason why people are deterred from them mainly stems from QC and warranty issues. IMO they have everything it takes to be popular - good sound, good fit, well-known brands and gorgeous looks, all at a quite reasonable price compared to top flight BA's cost these day.

I wouldn't say all problems are over, but the T8iE you can buy these days, especially MKII, should be free of these connector issues.
My MK1, bought one year ago, have no connector issue (and I tried quite a few cables to test this).
And even if it takes a while to get them repaired/exchanged, at least they're taking responsabilities.

Some brands won't even consider exchanging IEMs when connectors fail.

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #101 of 256

I guess that would explain it but I think all the MkII's are pretty much free of issues. If mine failed today, I'd likely buy them again. That's how much I like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back