Astell&Kern AK T8iE MkⅡ(Impressions and discussions thread)
Feb 7, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #76 of 256
I was just at the San Francisco head-fi meet where Astell & Kern had a table. I asked the representative about the MKII version and he stated the only difference was the cable. He said the earphones were exactly the same as the first version. So I'm not sure about the changes suggested on their website such as new voice coil and new connectors. Anyways, besides that they sounded amazing. I like them better than my IE800 and K3003. I had been debating for some time whether to buy the AKt8ie so now I think I will buy this new version. I just hope they fixed the connection issues some had with the first generation. Very spacious sounding and very, very comfortable to my ears. I auditioned them using my RWAK240.

I shared this at the generation one thread and thought it might be relevant here

Hi Peter,

Good news, we have received more AK T8iE MK II cables in stock.

Price is $99 + shipping. We are offering free USPS priority mail shipping to the continental US. We also offer UPS shipping in all service levels. If you would like to purchase them, please let us know with your address and phone number and we will send you an invoice to purchase them through our online store.

I find T8 to be a portable T1.2

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #78 of 256
Has anyone compared the T8iE MkII with the following?

Campfire Vega
Dita Answer (Truth)
Sennheiser ie800
Sony MDR-EX1000 or MDR-EX800ST/MDR-7550

I have the 7550 but I want something a little more premium now. I'm jonesing for a really nice DD IEM now. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #84 of 256
Most musical IEM I heard so far. More musical than SE846 and Andromeda, when I compared them side by side.

yesterday I was with the TK8 in my ears for more than 9 hours straight in airline travel.  (mojo/iphone + power brick) 

No listener fatigue and no ear discomfort.  

I have the mk ii cable on mine now.   

"Most musical IEM..."?

I agree.  

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #85 of 256
Most musical IEM I heard so far. More musical than SE846 and Andromeda, when I compared them side by side.

I owned the Andromeda for a little while. How else would you say the two compare?

yesterday I was with the TK8 in my ears for more than 9 hours straight in airline travel.  (mojo/iphone + power brick) 

No listener fatigue and no ear discomfort.  

I have the mk ii cable on mine now.   

"Most musical IEM..."?

I agree.  

I already pulled the trigger on the Vega but I'm still longing to hear the T8iE as well. I'm trying to justify buying it so I can do a shootout haha. Something tells me the T8iE would make the better daily driver too :/

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #86 of 256
I only auditioned the Andromeda biefly. To me the Andromeda had an uppermid emphasis and I struggled to disseminate the lower mids. The Beyers were better in this regard. As is the HD650, LCD2, SE846, SE215s, and HD800S.

Bear in mind I did not have the time to play around with tips, I heard silicone tips.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #89 of 256

I am buying the T8 but also need a new DAP and noticed you have the DX200. Is this a good pairing? I like detailed but musical sigs. Thanks in advance for any advice.

My signature block is a little premature haha. I just purchased the T8iE so it's not on hand yet. I've tried the DX200 with everything else I own, though. It is definitely a reference DAP. To my ears, it does not add any "coloration." It is not overly sterile or analytical but very very detailed and extended at both ends. I don't know if I'd label it as musical but from what I've read about the T8iE, I expect it to bring out every bit of the T8iE's character which should be musical. Just don't expect it to add any warmth or tonal coloration. It's a good pairing if you want to hear the true character of the headphone. I like it a lot because it works with everything I own. Not sure if that helps you, though haha. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #90 of 256
  My signature block is a little premature haha. I just purchased the T8iE so it's not on hand yet. I've tried the DX200 with everything else I own, though. It is definitely a reference DAP. To my ears, it does not add any "coloration." It is not overly sterile or analytical but very very detailed and extended at both ends. I don't know if I'd label it as musical but from what I've read about the T8iE, I expect it to bring out every bit of the T8iE's character which should be musical. Just don't expect it to add any warmth or tonal coloration. It's a good pairing if you want to hear the true character of the headphone. I like it a lot because it works with everything I own. Not sure if that helps you, though haha. 

Awesome, thanks so much for the info. So many DAPS and no opportunity to demo them unfortunately so appreciate the impressions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back