Astell & Kern ACRO L1000
Feb 8, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #80 of 86
Can anyone confirm if the usb cable that comes with this is super short, or if it even comes with one? I saw a picture of it, but wanted to know for sure.

nvm, I found out.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #81 of 86
Jun 19, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #83 of 86
20W into 4ohms. Would be enough for it pair well with most bookshelf speakers. Looks like a promising unit!

Mar 17, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #85 of 86
Necro post. I bought a second-hand unit from Japan, as the Acro L1000 is now discontinued.

Attempting to level match and then A/B test with the JDS Labs Element III, there is close to zero perceivable difference between the two units, from impact to detail, across the frequency range and across all of the songs I tested.

It doesn't appear to colour the source material in any meaningful way. I'd be curious to see how it actually measures, but in practice it seems to be a perfectly capable DAC amp combo.

The knob is probably the best I've used in hi-fi, including home theatre receiver and loudspeaker amplifier knobs.

These are now selling on the used market for USD ~$500 and that makes it well worth the price of admission, if you're curious about it.

Edit: per earlier comments in this thread, the filter button seemingly changes nothing at all. I suspect that is a manufacturing oversight and may be why it was discontinued prematurely, but I have no genuine interest in using filters anyway. If I want to EQ, I'll EQ.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #86 of 86
Just bought a refurbished (aka unsold unit they could not get rid of) L1000 for the equivalent of $220 usd and waiting for it to arrive. My plan is to use as a cool desktop amp with my iems and easier to drive headphones.

Ironically for my intended use this item has basically been made obsolete by the many available usb dongles of which I have many. I only bought it because of the price, the cool design and potential to drive a few desktop speakers at low volume. At this level I doubt there are any dongles that can better it for sound quality and, of course, none can drive speakers or have that cool volume knob. I'll also try using a speaker to headphone connector on the speaker taps to power a few harder to drive headphones.

So much potential yet so much fail. One wonders how the mis-named filter situation got through Design/Manufacturing and how much more would it have cost to add an option to provide a bit more power to both the headphone and speaker amps? Shouldn't your first desktop amp at least be memorable with higher end headphones available at the time?

I am wondering if the unit can be modded to address these shortcomings. If anyone is aware of the availability of any such mods let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back