Astell&Kern ACRO CA1000 Carriable Headphone Amp
Jun 23, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #346 of 621
My bend on the CA1000 is it a big, absolutely beautiful DAP player with extra functionality (inputs and outputs). I feel it fits the same market as the fiio M17 and Ibasso DX300 Max, which I also own.
I really don’t understand why A&K called it an amp. For one, it should have more power, if it is to be called aN amplifier. I think them labeling this fabulous product as an amplifier is why sales have not been higher.
It is incredibly smooth sounding and and ergonomic. I actually prefer the CA1000 sound to my 300 Max.
I just bought the leather case from Amazon UK- has not arrived yet. I would hate to drop and scratch/dent up my unit. I am hoping this will provide a little protection and increase transportability a bit.
But bottom line- I have owned close to 10 top tier dap players and this may be my all around favourite. Sounds beautiful, black background, huge soundstage. But it is a DAP player, albeit a desktop/bedside/ chair side/couch side/ patio player.
Those are my thoughts…
Yeah the title 'amp' doesn't work. The name is also a bit on the awkward side - when you use all ports, it looks more like an Astell & Kern Kraken 🤣

The sound really is nice. I listen to it whenever I have some time to relax and enjoy. They should've used another OS theme though... I mean it works beautifully, but the device itself is not like a dap you hold in your right hand and scroll with the left. Things should be bigger from a UI perspective.

It has enough power to work with my HD800, so I'm happy with it. It's much more than an amp. More like a whole desktop hifi system in a futuristic package.

I guess your floor would have a hole in it before the ACRO has any dents 😆

Jul 12, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #348 of 621
I have had a couple of weeks to evaluate the Miter pull-up leather case for the CA1000. I am very happy with it. I will go through the pro’s and con’s and why I end up recommending it for my fellow CA1000 users.
I purchased the item from Amazon UK and it arrived to me in Vancouver BC within 9 days- which I thought was very acceptable from Europe.
First up- pull up leather is real leather. The case has a great smell to it. Pull up leather is batch dyed and then oiled and waxed.
It gives it a soft texture and feel. But understand this, it is meant to scratch and mar and show wear over time, and change colour over time (notice the Canadian spelling of Color). If leather that shows its wear is not for you- this is probably not the item for you. But if you like that high-end worn leather look- you will love this.
I wanted the case to protect both the player and everything around me, as the CA1000 is a serious weapon! If any of you have dropped it you know this 😱 my wooden floor does…
The case does an excellent job of covering the unit fully, except for the screen of course. The fit is really excellent except for one thing. The player has 4 rubber feet. The case fits the front feet perfectly. The grove extending across the Rear of the unit does not match the rear feet. I was able to correct this by performing a little surgery with an X-Acto knife and tweezers to cut two little rectangles out of the inside bottom leather so the unit would sit perfectly within the case in a totally flat manner- not bulging downwards in the back corners. Took me about 15 minutes to make both cuts and clean up any stray bits of finer from the bottom backing. Now it site totally flat.
Other than that adjustment the case is fantastic. Looks great. Has a nice warm feel
Note: real leather is warm to the touch- vinyl/ fake leather is cold to the touch.
I find the unit is much easier to carry around and less risk of taking out something or a body part if impacts anything.
Check out the pics.

Attachments

• 09B0C263-BCBD-4D4D-A71C-1676F10149B9.jpeg
    09B0C263-BCBD-4D4D-A71C-1676F10149B9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DC7D49A0-47D4-4DD2-89ED-D078F414EE89.jpeg
    DC7D49A0-47D4-4DD2-89ED-D078F414EE89.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 32664488-DC9D-4E80-98AD-248E11E126DA.jpeg
    32664488-DC9D-4E80-98AD-248E11E126DA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jul 29, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #351 of 621
The CA1000 formfactor would be perfect for my uses but I've held off due to the mentions of slowness, crashes, dropouts under normal device operation. I have a large music library so it would be a concern. Also waiting to hear of updates to address stability!
I have owned my unit for 3 months and have a 1tb micro sd card and have had zero issues with crashes, etc.
That’s my two cents.
Russ

Aug 1, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #353 of 621
New promo on the CA1000 starts today for customers in the US and Canada. Until September 6, get $400 off the purchase price of the CA1000. This sale is valid only for customers in the US and Canada and for purchases made directly from us.astellnkern.com or participating authorized Astell&Kern retailers in the US and Canada. For more info, please visit - https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/news/astell-kern-limited-time-promotion

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 6, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #354 of 621
New promo on the CA1000 starts today for customers in the US and Canada. Until September 6, get $400 off the purchase price of the CA1000. This sale is valid only for customers in the US and Canada and for purchases made directly from us.astellnkern.com or participating authorized Astell&Kern retailers in the US and Canada. For more info, please visit - https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/news/astell-kern-limited-time-promotion
wow! i just found similar promotion in my city there's a 40% off the listed price! such a pain that price got slashed 40% in less then a year :tired_face:but that's not really uncommon for ak models that not selling well. i've seen SR25 and AK x JH Layla got similar price cut to empty the inventory too . . .

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #355 of 621
with current promos, this seems like a interesting pc desktop dac/amp. Was intending to get the Fiio k9 pro but this seems like a nice alternative. Anyone with similar use case care to share pros and cons?

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #358 of 621
One review states: "In headphones, the left and right channels are clearly separated, which can result in fatigue when listening for long periods of time"

I am considering this device for purchase, but now this message worries me. It's sad when music tires very quickly. Unfortunately, I do not have the opportunity to test this DAP.
I would like to ask the owners if the sound tires you and does a clear separation of channels prevent you from feeling the music outside your head?

Oct 5, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #360 of 621
I’m collecting my CA1000 tomorrow, so I’ll be able to compare to my current SP2000T and, when it returns from repair, my Hugo 2. I‘ve always liked the idea of a transportable, battery-powered compact “desktop” rig; I find operating and viewing a DAP when not holding it pretty awkward, especially when using fairly stiff silver cables from the top of the unit. I tried the Fiio M17 but for me it didn’t really fulfil the stationary role well. I found it to sound a bit uninspiring too. I don’t know why I didn’t look at the CA1000 sooner. Hopefully I’ll be able to make some decisions to let some of this gear go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back