Astell&Kern ACRO CA1000 Carriable Headphone Amp
Mar 16, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #241 of 629
Sond wise only, how the CA1000 compare to SP2000 ? Is the SP2000, after 3 year of existance, still the king ?

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #242 of 629
Sond wise only, how the CA1000 compare to SP2000 ? Is the SP2000, after 3 year of existance, still the king ?
I think that is a good question

Mar 18, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #243 of 629
I'm asking myself the same question.

I have full size cans and SP2K is not powerfull enough. I added a C9 amp, but the story where the SP2K doesn't have a true line thus reduces the SQ makes me wonder if I should not just go with CA1000 instead of SP2K+C9.

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #244 of 629
I do not have a SP2K, but compared the CA1000 to my SP1KM Gold. I used the Susvara and the Elite for comparison on the balanced out on both using both as a Roon endpoint. I was surprised how well the SP1K was handling the Susvaras, but the CA 1000 did it with more authority. To have the Susvara at normal (for me) listening level I had the volume on at 90-95%, on the SP1K, while it was around 60% on the CA1000. The overall impression impression I had with both headphones was that the CA1000 had a little more detail and liveliness to the sound. It sounded a little bit brighter, but not unnatural or uncomfortable in any way. The SP1K felt slightly veiled in comparison, which surprised me, since I never had that impression before. The sound stage depth was better. In direct comparison, the SP1000K the soundstage felt more flat, while similar in width.
I have never listened to the SP2K, so cannot access how that compares to the SP1KM. Certainly, I am impressed with the CA1000.

Mar 18, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #245 of 629
What does one want from their DAP besides playing music? If you answer everything, you probably want to look into ACRO CA1000.

Let me begin by saying this: writing a review is probably one of the hardest thing I find myself to do. Sometimes times it feels like you’ve read one, you have read them all. Replace the title with something else, replace the product name with another, and it is basically the same thing over and over again.

This goes without saying, there is no substitute to your own ears. And the safest way for one to learn to trust a review is literally trial and error. Mr X recommends Y, you buy Y and you agree. You repeat that a few times until you realise if Mr X recommends Y, there is a good chance you like it.

For me, writing a review is about sharing my experience while I’ve the product in my possession, and that is how I will do this review.

CA1000 belongs to the ACRO family of the Astell and Kern product line. To my knowledge, AK has 5 main groups of product lines, each focusing on a specific market segment. The 6 group are as follows:

• Ultima,
  • Futura,
  • Norma,
  • KANN,
  • ACRO,
  • Other (legacy products, IEM, IEM cables, etc.)
ACRO focuses primarily on home office entertainment. As far as the portable flagship goes, the Ultima family is the one to go with, with ACRO not really falling not any of the groups above as it has the potential to release a wide variety of products such as all in one speaker units which it currently has within its product group.

Specs: https://www.astellnkern.com/product/product_detail.jsp?productNo=130

UI/interference and the gain setting::

There are two ways to view this:

• Operation system/UI performance as stand alone player: How does the player perform if one was to use its onboard/SSD
  • Operation system/UI performance using the add on music streaming options.
I find AK OS undering normal condition to be adequate. It start up time is slow compared to my other Andriod DAP (Hiby RS6). It takes 23 second for CA1000 to turn on. But once on, it offers all that one needs in order to easily navigate their entire onboard library.

However things become slightly disappointing when one used CA1000 using streaming app. Things are less snappy, less smooth compared to when CA1000 is used to play files from its onboard memory (or micro-SD card) with at times while streaming hi-res files, there was a few drops out. This is where AK fall restrictive UI falls behind likes of Hiby.
I do wish AK moves away from their heavily modded Andriod OS.

Streaming:

Streaming on this DAP is not fully ready yet, AK is aware on the current drop out and they are going to fix this on the next firmware upgrade.

Crossfeed feature: I simply once heard it, I couldn’t turn it off for 90% of the music I listened to. It really reduce the listening fatigue for me specially during my post covid recovery where I found my ear got fatigued real easily listening to all my other daps, expect CA1000 when I had the crossfeed feature.

With crossfeed on, the sound was less right and left and more in front of me. It was particular joy to have in the older recording. It added a little hint of warmth to the midrange, specially vocal which was a welcome to me.

Overall Sound:
Let's start with what could be a deal-breaker, there is a low constant white noise that remains in the background across all the gain settings of CA1000.

This white noise is constant across all volume levels and is really only audible on the quiet passages. Of course, the audibility of this depends on your IEM, your listening volume and the type of music you listen to.

Burin for this DAP is essential. At first, I hear that Sabre sound that everyone is aware of when it comes to ESS Deta Sigma DAC, but thankfully after 200 hours of usage, the sound settled and I could no longer hear it. The sound changed into energetic, dynamic and warm.

This dap has absolute control over all IEM within its power delivery ability. If you are not plugging in Susvura into it, you are good to use this with anything. When the sound passages get busy, and there is a lot of going on, this DAP manages to keep up, sound is never confused.

The volume knob adjustment on this DAP allowed for ease of access, it is a feature which I will truly miss when I have to give this DAP to the next person who needs to review it.
The physical button on the DAP allowed for ease of navigation to play, pause, rewind and fast forward.

Synergy with various IEM I liked

• HUM Prisitine: Gain setting used: Low, Medium.
    Very well balanced sound, with no emphasis on any tonality. There is little background white noise that one can hear if they try to listen. If not for this, I would have given this pairing 10/10.
    The bass is punchy, fast, articulate with a very clear midrange that does just to the vocal of Tom Waits.
    This pairing will be suitable for audio engineers as it can reveal the source file. HUM Prisitine was never a forgiving IEM, and paired that with the neutral, bright tonality of CA1000, it really wouldn’t play nice with music with compressed dynamic range.

• Faudio Major: Gain use Super, volume listening level at 34.
  • The gain volume isn’t only increasing the gain, I believe it also increases voltage delivery to the driver. At this setting, I was able to extra more detail and listen at lower volumes.
    I felt compared to LP6 Gold, the soundstage appear somewhat narrower, but I was able to have more control over sound thanks to the three gain setting.

• Senheisser IE900: Wide sound, deep bass, extremely detail with never fatiguing. This is the best synergy to my ear out of all my IEM.
Summary:

To me, this is the best ergonomically designed DAP AK has produced to date, it is packed with features and it is a solid entry for those who want an all one player which can sit in their office, their card and for those who are really keen, within their backpack.
It has a fine balance of producing a warm, musical sound, without ever sounding too warm, or overly technical.
If I was not into a softer R2R sound, I would be maxing out my credit card again. I like to thank Eileen from Dreamus for trusting me with this review unit and I’m sorry I couldn’t do it justice, as it has a lot more features that this DAP is capable of which I could not touch in my quick impression.

Thank you Eileen from iriver team for allowing me to test your CA1000 and I can't wait to hear your future ACRO family releases.
PPR41.jpeg

Source of the above image is from twitter, I cannot find the original link.
Model A: Sony DMP-Z1
Model B: Shanling M30
Model C: Fiio M17
Model D: Acro CA1000

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #246 of 629
I would love to review the CA1000. I just need to know a comparison of the sound quality with the SP2K. I now have the SP2Kt as well. I don't want to purchase this if the new TOTL is around the corner especially if the CA1000 sound quality is not on par with the SP2K.

Mar 20, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #249 of 629
I would love to review the CA1000. I just need to know a comparison of the sound quality with the SP2K. I now have the SP2Kt as well. I don't want to purchase this if the new TOTL is around the corner especially if the CA1000 sound quality is not on par with the SP2K.
May be you should wait for High-End Munich end of May for any possible anouncements ( SP3000 ? CA2000 ? ...)

Mar 20, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #250 of 629
Streaming on this DAP is not fully ready yet, AK is aware on the current drop out and they are going to fix this on the next firmware upgrade.
@audionewbi : could you please clarify what exact behavior you are observing?
@JasonNYC : would you mind confirming that there is indeed an acknowledged issue that is being addressed?

i'm asking because being a transportable battery-powered Roon-ready endpoint (over dual-band WiFi 5 with 4.4 mm balanced out and those DAC/AMP capabilities) is to me a true standout feature combination of the CA1000 - so it better work flawlessly.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #251 of 629
@JasonNYC : would you mind confirming that there is indeed an acknowledged issue that is being addressed?

i'm asking because being a transportable battery-powered Roon-ready endpoint (over dual-band WiFi 5 with 4.4 mm balanced out and those DAC/AMP capabilities) is to me a true standout feature combination of the CA1000 - so it better work flawlessly.

I'm told a new firmware is released which has fixed this issue. The issue I had was song skipped playing using the AK own designed Tidal app.

Mar 20, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #252 of 629

The firmware released this past week (1.07) contained a number of system stability improvements, including wifi stability fixes while streaming.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 20, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #253 of 629
I've been unable to stream via Qobuz with the device in strong wifi since the update. It simply doesn't start playing the album/track that you click on.

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #254 of 629
I've been unable to stream via Qobuz with the device in strong wifi since the update. It simply doesn't start playing the album/track that you click on.
what is the version of Qobuz that you are using? Is it 6.4.1.3 that is in the download list on the CA1000? I have had some issues before the update with that version not only on AK devices, but on my Samsung S21+ also. I installed Qobuz version 6.5.1.0 and have had no issues on the newer version pre or post update.

To manually install the newer version, you can follow the instructions here - https://us.astellnkern.com/apps/help-center#hc-how-do-i-install-music-streaming-apps-to-my-player

I have requested that the Qobuz version on the download tab be updated to the newer version.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 20, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #255 of 629
what is the version of Qobuz that you are using? Is it 6.4.1.3 that is in the download list on the CA1000? I have had some issues before the update with that version not only on AK devices, but on my Samsung S21+ also. I installed Qobuz version 6.5.1.0 and have had no issues on the newer version pre or post update.

To manually install the newer version, you can follow the instructions here - https://us.astellnkern.com/apps/help-center#hc-how-do-i-install-music-streaming-apps-to-my-player

I have requested that the Qobuz version on the download tab be updated to the newer version.
Hi mate, I'm currently using Version 6.5.0.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back