Astell&Kern ACRO CA1000 Carriable Headphone Amp
Jan 25, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #137 of 621
What exactly haven't I addressed? I already replied a page back saying I was still waiting for the official numbers in mW as I asked for them from the HQ team.
Not so much a question of addressing specifics, more just a vibe. But that's fine - not every rep has to be personally invested or even interested in their products. Your role is likely different from the other examples I gave 👍🏻

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #138 of 621
Not so much a question of addressing specifics, more just a vibe. But that's fine - not every rep has to be personally invested or even interested in their products. Your role is likely different from the other examples I gave 👍🏻
I am actually extremely active in the various AK threads. I am sorry if you feel I am not. Always happy to address any question or concern and if I don't have the answer, will find it.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 25, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #139 of 621
I’ve never seen a product already out for sale without full specs including mW being readily available for review before purchase. Seems strange here.

Jan 25, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #140 of 621
I've moved away from Delta Sigma sound a while ago. I like how R2R DAC sound, to my ears they are less fatiguing and more detailed. One of the reasons why I've not shown much interest in the current flagship DAPS is I feel they are all about resolution, micro detail.
CA1000 thankfully does not sound like that, it sounds a lot more balance, yes still clean, maybe a little too clean for my taste. (I like warmer tonality). Those of you who like the house sound of Chord Hugo/Hugo 2 should feel right at home with CA1000.

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #141 of 621
New firmware is out, that was fast!
20220126_133818.jpg

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #142 of 621
Someone asked about DLNA, works without an issue. I've tested on both Sony Media Go and Audinrvana. I've tested up to DSD256!

Now if you change track while playing, there is a pause, but it you let the unit play there is not pause and gapless is possible via DLNA.
It's the limitations of the program used for send music over the air to CA1000.

20220126_155142_remastered.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #143 of 621
I'm really digging the crossfeed and how it impacts the sound. It really helps with classical music and live recorded music!
Bit more about the sound: CA1000 is tuned on the neural, brighter sound, with very well extension on both end. It has slight metallic shimmer on the top end, which manages to never sound harsh or bright, but you do notice it.
Maybe things change with burn-in.

IEM used: IER-Z1R, JVC FW10000, IER-M9

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #144 of 621
I'm really digging the crossfeed and how it impacts the sound. It really helps with classical music and live recorded music!
Bit more about the sound: CA1000 is tuned on the neural, brighter sound, with very well extension on both end. It has slight metallic shimmer on the top end, which manages to never sound harsh or bright, but you do notice it.
What headphones are you using?

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #146 of 621

IEM used: IER-Z1R, JVC FW10000, IER-M9
Don't aggre, imo CA1000 neutral or slightly warmer side.

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #147 of 621
I like the sound of the CA1000 much more, the M17 is technically great, but it lacks organicity, especially the treble is so dry and sterile, midrange lack weight. Unfortunately, the game is like a typical Saber device. The sound of the M17 reminds me a bit of the Hugo 2 or Burson DACs. I felt that the THX-AAA + ESS combination would be like that and I was right. On the plus side, the M17 is speed of operation, a very good screen, rich equipment. The resolution and detail are also great, many more expensive stationary DAC / AMPs could envy them. Unfortunately, this is a DAP designed rather for warmer and darker headphones.

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #148 of 621
I like the sound of the CA1000 much more, the M17 is technically great, but it lacks organicity, especially the treble is so dry and sterile, midrange lack weight. Unfortunately, the game is like a typical Saber device. The sound of the M17 reminds me a bit of the Hugo 2 or Burson DACs. I felt that the THX-AAA + ESS combination would be like that and I was right. On the plus side, the M17 is speed of operation, a very good screen, rich equipment. The resolution and detail are also great, many more expensive stationary DAC / AMPs could envy them. Unfortunately, this is a DAP designed rather for warmer and darker headphones.
Interesting. And this goes to show that the only thing that really counts is first-person experience of a source, as subjective impressions can vary so widely.

I basically view the M17 in the opposite way. I'm a big fan of the Hugo 2 timbre, but to me the M17 is way smoother, less aggressive, and more "musical." On the M17, I find the synergy with warmer headphones (i.e., ZMF VC) not great, whereas the synergy with brighter headphones (Liric, Rognir, HD800s) excellent.

Bottom line - important to demo for yourself because not only do we hear things differently, but also because the sources that we're used to set a different barometer for how we hear new products.

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #149 of 621
Interesting too lol! I only manage to test sound from battery, any sound change from DC?

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #150 of 621
Interesting too lol! I only manage to test sound from battery, any sound change from DC?
On the M17? Yes, massive difference because it enters "enhanced mode" and has a totally different mode of operation, offering both more output - but more critically - much better dynamics. If you get a chance to demo again, do try DC because it really becomes a very different level of presentation (and also check out the M17 thread which gives numerous reports of the merits of enhanced mode).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back