Astell&Kern ACRO CA1000 Carriable Headphone Amp
Jan 27, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #152 of 621
On the M17? Yes, massive difference because it enters "enhanced mode" and has a totally different mode of operation, offering both more output - but more critically - much better dynamics. If you get a chance to demo again, do try DC because it really becomes a very different level of presentation (and also check out the M17 thread which gives numerous reports of the merits of enhanced mode).
Well i loan M17 for few days so definitely check that.

Jan 27, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #154 of 621
Now I connected the M17 to the linear power supply and it is better, the treble calmed down a bit, the midrange is fuller, the overall sound has become more analog. Connecting the M17 to AC power simultaneously charges the battery, nice thing. I have to complain about the volume control, the knob is much less precise than on the CA1000.

Jan 27, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #155 of 621
Now I connected the M17 to the linear power supply and it is better, the treble calmed down a bit, the midrange is fuller, the overall sound has become more analog. Connecting the M17 to AC power simultaneously charges the battery, nice thing. I have to complain about the volume control, the knob is much less precise than on the CA1000.
Volume can also be controlled with buttons on the side, if preferred.

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #158 of 621
I was going to have a demo but it couldn't read my SSD. It knows I plugged in an SSD but couldn't read the content. I am probably just missing something. I will leave comments on the feel of the device.

The screen is very thin and surprising sturdy when propped up. It is pretty usable despite being not that big.

It feels similar in weight compared to 3MAX, but that's probably just because 3MAX is denser. CA1000 is more heavy in weight.

Not sure if it is just the demo unit, but the volume wheel is too wobbly between each volume step, and it's hollow, but it's smooth to turn. I would like it to be more stiff with less space between the steps, it would give a more premium feeling. Something like the M30 wheel would be really good.

I would like it to have an XLR jack, and I would like the font color for the buttons to be different. The light grey font on silver finish is not a good combination.

Jan 27, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #159 of 621
I was going to have a demo but it couldn't read my SSD. It knows I plugged in an SSD but couldn't read the content. I am probably just missing something. I will leave comments on the feel of the device.

The screen is very thin and surprising sturdy when propped up. It is pretty usable despite being not that big.

It feels similar in weight compared to 3MAX, but that's probably just because 3MAX is denser. CA1000 is more heavy in weight.

Not sure if it is just the demo unit, but the volume wheel is too wobbly between each volume step, and it's hollow, but it's smooth to turn. I would like it to be more stiff with less space between the steps, it would give a more premium feeling. Something like the M30 wheel would be really good.

I would like it to have an XLR jack, and I would like the font color for the buttons to be different. The light grey font on silver finish is not a good combination.
Regarding the volume knob, it is not an analog volume knob, it is digital and those clicks you notice between volume changes is for you to know something is taking place.

I personally love the industrial design of ACRO. I wish ACRO CA1000 MKII to be:
  • Increase the footprint to make it a true transportable unit.
  • Add 18650 to enable higher current discharge, which will improve dynamic range dramatically. CA1000 is limited in this field.
  • XLR out, yes please.
  • Add in 2K screen.
  • No more limited OS, give me Andriod 10 at least.
  • AKM is, for now, dead, Sabre chip either sound too bright or too warm, look into ROHM.
  • While you are at it, add in the amp section of S2000T, but unleash it to class A.
I just love the industrial design of CA1000, I've currently have my HD600 plugged in, an I can tell this DAP is really designed for headphone.

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #160 of 621
Regarding the volume knob, it is not an analog volume knob, it is digital and those clicks you notice between volume changes is for you to know something is taking place.

I personally love the industrial design of ACRO. I wish ACRO CA1000 MKII to be:
  • Increase the footprint to make it a true transportable unit.
  • Add 18650 to enable higher current discharge, which will improve dynamic range dramatically. CA1000 is limited in this field.
  • XLR out, yes please.
  • Add in 2K screen.
  • No more limited OS, give me Andriod 10 at least.
  • AKM is, for now, dead, Sabre chip either sound too bright or too warm, look into ROHM.
  • While you are at it, add in the amp section of S2000T, but unleash it to class A.
I just love the industrial design of CA1000, I've currently have my HD600 plugged in, an I can tell this DAP is really designed for headphone.
I know it is a digital volume knob, the problem I have is the spacing/travel between each click. It's too big, and it's quite wobbly between the clicks/steps, at least in the demo unit. And make the knob a bit stiffer with a more distinct tactile feeling to counteract that.

I would love it to be a more solid type of knob, instead of a hollow one, that can add to the premium feeling of the device as well.

+1 on the OS. I want to use different apps to customize the feel of the device.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #161 of 621
Everyone: I want Android 10+, 100500 different apps and streaming services.
Me: just insert the SD card with my music collection and listen to music through the native player. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Add in 2K screen.

Huh, 2K screen is the last century, we need 8K! And especially RTX 3080 and Ryzen 9. For more premium feeling, of course.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #162 of 621
I know, just copared it to CA1000 who have more precise control.
That's interesting because the volume on the M17 is analog wheres the buttons are, of course, digital, so you have best of both worlds.

CA1000 hasn't arrived at my dealer but if it does lean toward being on the warm side (despite also being ESS based), then it'll likely be a pass for me. Goes to show that DAC chip itself tells one little about overall signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back