Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Aug 19, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #2,837 of 4,084
At the moment I use Meze's silver cable. Is there any specific model you recommend with those brands?
Meze has really good stock cables, but ofcourse can't stand to DHC Chimera.. Such cable is like adding a single component. But the price is as crazy as any hi-end component..

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #2,839 of 4,084
Thank you.
Is there an improvement in the bass as well?
I don't use headphones, but with my IEMs (Jewel and Thunder), everything is further improved, and yes, even the bass

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #2,840 of 4,084
3000 dollars is crazy indeed
Yes, that's it..
Maybe you will be able to find aftermarket DHC Prion (Chimera is just a next TOTL model after Prion was TOTL for years) way cheaper but still with crazy good effect for SQ

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #2,841 of 4,084
The power output on the balanced is (understandably) double the single 3.5mm … and 6.3vrms. This is marginally higher than that on the SP2000.

I’ve always postulated that the improved soundstage and dynamics are from the increased power on the balanced and it is the preferable way to connect your headphones. Especially full sized headphones. Adding the Cayin C9 accentuates the difference more and colours the sound with the C9 output.

Depending on my mood I sometimes prefer the SP2000 +/- C9 to the Hugo 2. That said I’m also known to plug my Hugo2 into the C9.

I’ll be honest and say yes, it’s better. But if you’re going to spend SP3000 + C9 cash … then maybe take a step back and consider the Chord TT2

Aug 20, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #2,842 of 4,084
The power output on the balanced is (understandably) double the single 3.5mm … and 6.3vrms. This is marginally higher than that on the SP2000.

I’ve always postulated that the improved soundstage and dynamics are from the increased power on the balanced and it is the preferable way to connect your headphones. Especially full sized headphones. Adding the Cayin C9 accentuates the difference more and colours the sound with the C9 output.

Depending on my mood I sometimes prefer the SP2000 +/- C9 to the Hugo 2. That said I’m also known to plug my Hugo2 into the C9.

I’ll be honest and say yes, it’s better. But if you’re going to spend SP3000 + C9 cash … then maybe take a step back and consider the Chord TT2
I've already bought the sp3k and want to enhance its performance, therefore, I need to add a component in order to achieve that.

Aug 20, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #2,844 of 4,084
Maybe I should have bought the ibasso 320 max or hiby rs8, but i didn't have the chance to test them in my country.
It's about your Meze headphones, right?
No IEMs to be driven?
Imho Sp3k shines with IEMs and sensitive less demanding DD Overears.
In these cases I think the synergy is rather more important than adding external amping (which can add coloring and stage and slightly changing frequency but imh no night and day differences especially in drivability.
That comes into play with more demanding headphones like Planars.
I think the Cayin C9 is the best bet for you for Meze Elite performance and price wise on used market.
I have also heard it with Brise Tsuranagi attached and found it fantastic there but for that combined money you could indeed have got for example some DX320 Amp12 with enough power, DX320 Max, Shanling M9 Plus or even better a good used Desktop Stack

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #2,845 of 4,084
It's about your Meze headphones, right?
No IEMs to be driven?
Imho Sp3k shines with IEMs and sensitive less demanding DD Overears.
In these cases I think the synergy is rather more important than adding external amping (which can add coloring and stage and slightly changing frequency but imh no night and day differences especially in drivability.
That comes into play with more demanding headphones like Planars.
I think the Cayin C9 is the best bet for you for Meze Elite performance and price wise on used market.
I have also heard it with Brise Tsuranagi attached and found it fantastic there but for that combined money you could indeed have got for example some DX320 Amp12 with enough power, DX320 Max, Shanling M9 Plus or even better a good used Desktop Stack
Yes. I only use the Elites and only with portable gear, therefore, I believe that your suggestion regarding the c9 is the best option for me.

Aug 20, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #2,847 of 4,084
Anyone tried the sp3k with the PA10 yet? I gave it a go at Canjam London yesterday and was surprised by the big jump in driveability, especially with iems.

Had a less convincing result with hard to drive headphones.

Aug 20, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #2,848 of 4,084
Anyone tried the sp3k with the PA10 yet? I gave it a go at Canjam London yesterday and was surprised by the big jump in driveability, especially with iems.

Had a less convincing result with hard to drive headphones.
When I auditioned sp3000 I tried it with my pa10 as well. Whilst there was more power on tap with pa10, I preferred sp3000 sonically on its own. With pa10 I thought some of the magic was lost. I was using quite easy to drive iems though.

Aug 20, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #2,849 of 4,084
When I auditioned sp3000 I tried it with my pa10 as well. Whilst there was more power on tap with pa10, I preferred sp3000 sonically on its own. With pa10 I thought some of the magic was lost. I was using quite easy to drive iems though.
With the Elites Pa10 and sp3000 not a good match

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #2,850 of 4,084
What seems to be the consensus on stainless steel (black/silver) vs copper? I love how the black and especially the steel versions look, even though the Cu looks quite special too. I also wonder how quickly (or not) it will oxidize- even though I am not a fan of that process on watches, I am aware a lot of people love observing the changes in the metal casing's colouration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back