Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
May 5, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #2,296 of 3,975
Hello,
With cayin c9 on lines out, no problem whatsoever since the beginning.
But I never use my sp3000 while charging.

May 5, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #2,297 of 3,975
How is the system level EQ on SP3000? There was this issue reported long time ago on SP2000 (looks like even reported on an AK300) and I am still waiting for the "it is fixed" news...
I'm not sure if this has been reported before, but the eq on the SP2000 appears to be totally broken. FWIW, I'm using the latest firmware (1.26CM). Here's a quick demonstration of the problem. A 5 dB boost at 4 kHz with three different Q values. Q=sqrt(2) should give a spread of roughly one octave, like this:

Here are the measurements taken with the SP2000's eq with the same 5 dB @ 4kHz boost using the same three Q values:

This is just wrong. Unless you have your own measuring equipment and a very narrow-band peak/trough that falls exactly on one of their fixed-band center frequencies, the SP2K's eq is essentially useless.

I've found the SP2000 to be a pretty stable device, but one thing I'll say about FiiO's firmware bugs - they do eventually get fixed. I reported a bug in AK Connect directly to A&K more than a year ago and nothing's ever been done to fix it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-new-flagship-a-ultima-sp2000.906255/post-15420114

It looks like this particular eq problem may even pre-date the SP2000:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-ak300-does-not-have-a-parametric-equalizer.816519/
So the odds of A&K fixing this anytime in the next several years are probably zero, but I wanted to put this information out there for the record, because the current eq on this device is basically worthless.

P.S. Those ripples you see in the low frequencies are also an artifact of the SP2K's eq - they don't occur when the eq is off.

May 5, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #2,298 of 3,975
How is the system level EQ on SP3000? There was this issue reported long time ago on SP2000 (looks like even reported on an AK300) and I am still waiting for the "it is fixed" news...
My EQ Works both 3.5mm and 4.4mm but yes only slightly, it's not a dramatic change EQ.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #2,299 of 3,975
My EQ Works both 3.5mm and 4.4mm but yes only slightly, it's not a dramatic change EQ.

The problem is not really the gain but the bandwidth, which is why the effect is very subtle. I never use more than +-3 dB anyway, especially with my headphones which have mostly reference level tuning. From the quoted post, the above measurement should actually look like this:

I can understand that A&K wants to keep a subtle gain adjustment, but I don't understand why they would not fix this.

May 5, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #2,300 of 3,975
@JasonNYC

Something is obviously wrong with the SP3000 here!

As soon as the SP3000 is connected to the charger / power supply / PC and is fully charged, there are repeated freezes and crush with consistent restart when interacting with the device at some point. It's happening to quite a few of us right now!

We urgently need a firmware update (that hopefully solves the problem)!
Just had experienced crash, freeze, restarts, while using bluetooth headset Focal Bathys with SP3000, while being charged 100%.

May 7, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #2,310 of 3,975
Yes that’s what I mean. I believe people saying that it can drive full sized headphones well are amateurs to this hobby/mental disease
Yea with" dan clark aeon 2 closed" at max volume not enough volume for me , needs amp , I tryed "ak pa10" high gain at a retailer, still at max volume just bearly adequate, I'm looking for a higher output portable amp. Anyone no of one ? Good imaging and compatible with sp3000 and aeon 2, ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back