Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Mar 28, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #2,176 of 4,124
Will take a while. Cos currently only the iOS version is out. Last I checked, even the iPadOS version is not out yet. Android version usually lags a month or so. But it is promising. :)
Ahh didn't think about the Android version... thanks for pointing that out!

Mar 28, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #2,177 of 4,124
has anyone had the chance to compare N7 with sp3k ? any comments ?

I had about a week with both together. Relative to SP3k, N7 had a little more forward mids and lower treble such that it made the presentation closer to you. It sounds a little bit brighter and clearer on the initial A/B, until I realized that the overall stage/presentation were different. Not as wide and expansive as the SP3k. For the low end, N7 had a different warmth that is a house sound of Cayin. Slightly punchier mid to upper bass quantity. Class A vocals were nice and present. N7 has a thick but rounded authoritative sound that is a house sound of Cayin. To my ears, it sounded like a more dynamic N6ii+A01. N7's presentation of instruments and soundstage really fell short of TOTL quality for me though. It's really hard to beat SP3000 depth, instrument separation, and stage presentation. N7 was relatively compressed in depth, cluttered, and not as resolving as SP3000. N7 also hisses with my FAudio Mezzo (20ohm) IEM. Last but not least, Cayin's OS and music player were quite sluggish such that I thought I was still using the old N6ii. Just the navigation alone made me want to go back to SP3000. I really appreciate the fine-tuned UI of SP3000. These were my thoughts using Traillii, Mezzo, and Nio. Your pairing results may vary...

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #2,178 of 4,124
Cayin's OS and music player were quite sluggish such that I thought I was still using the old N6ii. Just the navigation alone made me want to go back to SP3000. I really appreciate the fine-tuned UI of SP3000
i tried n7 for a week before ordering sp3k and couldn’t agree more with this.

sound wise, i liked the mid forward warmth of n7. with the soundstage it proposes, i think for the money it’s bad at all.

but for the overall experience, i am glad i went for sp3k.

my only issue with it is that it’s sorting my files in a little strange way. it’s not reading metadata i created on itunes app (now music) as i entered for some files. it has its own mind and creating duplicates sometimes dividing one album into more than one piece showing each piece as separate albums, but same really. each duplicate has different songs of the same album.

i am not yet going crazy with this but if i can fix it, would be nice too

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #2,179 of 4,124
i hear a tiny pop right the moment between tracks. i don’t know about streaming but i hear this on native player playing from memory (sd card). on dsd files it is a bit more pronounced.
has anyone experienced this ?

another question i have is playing gapless, particularly live albums, theres this hairline gap between tracks. it takes back from the enjoyment of virtually being there with the crowd and singer. i’d like to know your experiences. did you find such glitches as well ? i don’t know maybe i am nitpicking.

Mar 29, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #2,180 of 4,124
Yea same pop during songs also but ok on the sp 2000 , fix by formatting a new card on the sp3000 then move the other card files onto it, I have 35 128gb cards so mostly still using the 2000 it's a fantastic player also. I like the 3000 for edm and modern rap the 2000 for everything else.

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #2,181 of 4,124
@JasonNYC Is it possible to copy EQ's between devices. I have an SP1000, Kann Alpha and SP3000. I have tried transferring the dat files from the SP3000 to the others but they do not show. Perhaps there is a defined procedure. Thanks!

Mar 31, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #2,183 of 4,124
@JasonNYC Is it possible to copy EQ's between devices. I have an SP1000, Kann Alpha and SP3000. I have tried transferring the dat files from the SP3000 to the others but they do not show. Perhaps there is a defined procedure. Thanks!
No, unfortunately you can't share between different models

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Apr 1, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #2,184 of 4,124
Hello. Are there still problems with 1tb Micro SD ( Sandisk Extreme Pro 1tb) with the current software? Some users complained that the maps were not read or read incorrectly and the start was very slow. Are these bugs fixed?
I can't decide right now who will be my new DAP. At over 4000 euros I do not want many deficits.
Thanks very much

Apr 1, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #2,187 of 4,124
It has been okay for me, no problems. My terabyte card is about 70% filled.
good to know. i’m just about to get myself a tb card as well.

recently a 512 card failed on me, so i’d like to be cautious.

idk what to choose though :
sandisk ultra 1tb,
or
sandisk extreme pro 1tb ??

i tend to think the simpler it is, the more reliable it will be.. for simple music storage do i really need the extreme, or extreme pro ?p

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #2,188 of 4,124
Hello. Are there still problems with 1tb Micro SD ( Sandisk Extreme Pro 1tb) with the current software? Some users complained that the maps were not read or read incorrectly and the start was very slow. Are these bugs fixed?
I can't decide right now who will be my new DAP. At over 4000 euros I do not want many deficits.
Thanks very much
The card works but when reasonably full it is still slow loading in folder view compared to other machines. This even when you have added no further music to the card. I presume this is something to do with scanning the card even though the initial scan was completed weeks ago.

Apr 1, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #2,189 of 4,124
The card works but when reasonably full it is still slow loading in folder view compared to other machines. This even when you have added no further music to the card. I presume this is something to do with scanning the card even though the initial scan was completed weeks ago.
Same here 1TB at 75%. Now resigned to accept this minor issue as it does not impede the overall experience of an outstanding machine.

Apr 1, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #2,190 of 4,124
it’s my second. still quite impressed though. but i can really hear diminishing returns at these levels
It’s my first DAP
So glad I got the SP3K. Imagine how impressed you’d be by it if this was your first DAP :)
its my first DAP. I’m a very happy camper indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back