Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Dec 23, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #1,516 of 3,983
I'm loving my SP3000 w/ Roon (previously owned SP2000 and Hugo/2Go), to me it's a shame that other DAP makers haven't made Roon Ready a standard feature. That said, I'd love the ability to fully control Roon (not ARC) on the player itself. Has Astell&Kern and Roon considered making the Roon Remote app available so we get the full experience?

Roon Ready for bit perfect lossless and Roon Remote (on the player) to fully control that playback would be the complete package.
According to the roon community ARC forum: There is no plans for roon remote but ARC (bit perfect) is in the works.

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #1,517 of 3,983
My indigos sounds amazing on my Kann Max at medium gain, no EQ. They mate very well to my ears. My go - to IEM for pretty much everything.
That’s great to hear. I had to send mine in for repair and since then I bought the SP3000, Noble Kublai Khan, and Vision EXT. I remember the Indigo sounding amazing but my ears have kind of forgot how they sound :)

Dec 23, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #1,518 of 3,983
According to the roon community ARC forum: There is no plans for roon remote but ARC (bit perfect) is in the works.
ARC is actually what the AK devices really need, I think. With ARC, they get full control on device at a minimum.
That’s great to hear. I had to send mine in for repair and since then I bought the SP3000, Noble Kublai Khan, and Vision EXT. I remember the Indigo sounding amazing but my ears have kind of forgot how they sound :)
They should sound good next to those amazing sets on that amazing player, congrats.

Dec 23, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #1,519 of 3,983
I'm loving my SP3000 w/ Roon (previously owned SP2000 and Hugo/2Go), to me it's a shame that other DAP makers haven't made Roon Ready a standard feature. That said, I'd love the ability to fully control Roon (not ARC) on the player itself. Has Astell&Kern and Roon considered making the Roon Remote app available so we get the full experience?

Roon Ready for bit perfect lossless and Roon Remote (on the player) to fully control that playback would be the complete package.
for me I dont use Roon, so is not a shame any of the dap does not have this feature... at least for me, as long thier SQ is good, Android no Android is the same.. LP and Hifiman OS is really basic compared to other manufacturers...

Dec 24, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #1,520 of 3,983
A big criticism of the SP2000 I had has been resolved with the SP3000.

Using the DAP as an external dac/amp via usb-c is now plug and play with my Apple silicon Macbook Pro.

Doing this with the SP2000 required a reboot of the laptop with the DAP plugged in and holding a button on the keyboard.

Dec 24, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #1,521 of 3,983
for me I dont use Roon, so is not a shame any of the dap does not have this feature... at least for me, as long thier SQ is good, Android no Android is the same.. LP and Hifiman OS is really basic compared to other manufacturers...
Lots of people want and use it...I'm with you, but I understand why these devices have to be competitive in this market. AK is widely seen as a music device with them more slowly adopting such new features.

Dec 24, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #1,522 of 3,983
Dec 24, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #1,523 of 3,983
Review is short, seems to miss a few points? Perhaps no peer review to align with other reviewers? (If anyone knows Gartner’s MQ - how it’s done, one person reviews each vendor and argues for score against other products - have to prove and justify to the colleagues why it’s better/suck)

Is it just? It’s great from a hardware - stunning in fact; like a luxury watch, but it’s not better than a good Seiko watch.. (not my view - to clarify - just an example)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #1,525 of 3,983
Yep very interesting review. It sounds like the Cayin N8ii is superior though
In terms of different sound signatures I think so from what I’ve read (more options), but slower, older OS, screen isn’t as great in comparison. The Watch reference I made is once you get to this level… the seiko and Rolex comparison is relevant, both provide the time. One is more accurate, but it’s not like you’re going to notice it between setting the time for summer time/traveling. The point is that the Rolex will be a minute off compared to the Seiko at some point if you just let them run side by side over months, but on a day to day basic you’ll not know/notice. Price is massively different, one is clearly bought for the feeling/pride/look/feel vs purity/accuracy alone.

The 3000 might be stellar, so good we can’t even hear it… but when compared to a player with more options/settings/operability the others would rightfully win. Do I want the 3000? Absolutely! Could I get the n8ii too? Absolutely. For me at this point it’s going to be about the cost, as they both have things that are very appealing to me and while I technically agree with the review when compared to the n8ii they are equal but different to me.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #1,526 of 3,983
Anyone know why astell kern went with the snapdragon 615 cpu ? Their software has been getting laggy and dated, so they put in a 615 ??? Also why does the first page of this thread say "latest snapdragon octocore cpu" ? I'm sure snapdragon have released other octocore cpus since 2014 ? Other £700 players are getting 665 cpus which are 50% faster. I'd be worried that as soon as you fill the dap up with music or the software gets updated, it will get slower rather quickly !!

Dec 24, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #1,527 of 3,983
Anyone know why astell kern went with the snapdragon 615 cpu ? Their software has been getting laggy and dated, so they put in a 615 ??? Also why does the first page of this thread say "latest snapdragon octocore cpu" ? I'm sure snapdragon have released other octocore cpus since 2014 ? Other £700 players are getting 665 cpus which are 50% faster. I'd be worried that as soon as you fill the dap up with music or the software gets updated, it will get slower rather quickly !!

It’s snapdragon 665.

1671941329164.png

Dec 24, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #1,528 of 3,983
Some of the statements in the review are questionable to say the least…

“The HiBy RS8 comes with a brushed metal finish and weighs in at 584 grams which is much heavier than the SP3000.

This is due to the RS8’s casing which is made of pure titanium.”

Titanium is way lighter than stainless steel. has the reviewer ever tried titanium watches vs ss ones? The difference in weight is due uniquely to the battery size, which in the rs8 is more than double.

Although the DAP can power IEMs with ease, it did require a higher-than-normal volume/decibel setting to achieve the same result as compared to other DAPs in the same price range”

As if the number telling you were you’re at was reliable in a digital volume control. It’s out of 150 (purely arbitrary scale) but no clue wether it’s linear, logarithm or whatever… measure the power if you can. If you can’t… you’re just letting your mouth breathe. What does “higher than normal” mean anyway!?!?

I find it interesting how all the reviews that I have read are criticising somehow the sound on the basis of quite esoteric parameters and are ignoring the one and only fault of this amazing dap: the bugginess (not the limitations) of the software.

Dec 25, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #1,530 of 3,983

Users who are viewing this thread

Back