Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Dec 13, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #1,426 of 3,981
Hi,

Concerning Qobuz, I’m wondering if SQ is the same between an album loaded in the Library App of the SP3000 and the same album downloaded and played in the Qobuz App ?
Do the Library App and Qobuz use or bypass the Android sound driver for HiRes ?

Claude.
In order,

NUMBER 1: In my opinion the SQ is much better using directly the SP3000 playback WITH local files (bought at Qobuz or elsewhere). AK is optimized for this because their player has better hardware control than the classic store applications. This is what I prefer, with a preference for DSD formats (max 256 or 512).

NUMBER 2: Qobuz download of my favorite albums or titles. The files downloaded in this way are in 24-bit format minimum and therefore with an excellent SQ level. I never download albums or tracks in CD format and keep them in "streaming" mode.

NUMBER 3 : The stream is always compressed. At TIDAL, the audio file is also compressed with the MQA format. It is not the case on Qobuz, the files are not compressed. However it is necessary to be very careful because even if the audio files are not compressed, the streaming process is compressed. This means that the network stream, which embeds the uncompressed audio file, is compressed. I prefer this reading for the discoveries or for the reading of my favorites albums and titles which are only in CD format, under 24 bits. For the albums and favorite titles above 24 bits I ask Qobuz to download them (see number 2 above).

Dec 13, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #1,427 of 3,981
Dec 13, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #1,429 of 3,981

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpeg
    IMG_0258.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Dec 13, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #1,430 of 3,981
I know it has been talked about at length here but, like many others I am experiencing reboots that seem related to the microSD card. In my case, whenever I try to interact with the touchscreen while transferring files to the 1TB microSD card, the UI freezes and the player reboots moments later.

For reference the card I'm using was formatted on the player itself via settings. The exact model is SanDisk 1TB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I (SDSQXAV-1T00-GN6MA)

Any word from Astell&Kern on this? Any word on fixes in the works?

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #1,433 of 3,981
I found a "bug"...it's more of a performance issue may.
I have 20 albums in the tidal app, added as favorite.
I can see them all...thats fine, but when I scroll through them, the artwork of the albums are kind of "stuck". When I stop scrolling, the artwork refreshes to the correct one.
This behaviour however is only in the tidal app...in the Qobuz app, everything is fine.

Tidal is still version 2.69 on the SP3000 on my Fiio M17 it's already 2.72 and there is no issue...Tidal bug?
anyone has the same issue?

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #1,434 of 3,981
I know it has been talked about at length here but, like many others I am experiencing reboots that seem related to the microSD card. In my case, whenever I try to interact with the touchscreen while transferring files to the 1TB microSD card, the UI freezes and the player reboots moments later.

For reference the card I'm using was formatted on the player itself via settings. The exact model is SanDisk 1TB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I (SDSQXAV-1T00-GN6MA)

Any word from Astell&Kern on this? Any word on fixes in the works?
I use the extreme and it works ok however SP3000 does currently take much longer to load than SP2000 with the card in and 90% full.
Not sure how you loading but on a mac you have to let the AK scan the sd card first as it often stops transferring otherwise. There are issues with the SP3000 and certain 1tb sd cards though.

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #1,435 of 3,981
Got two questions about the sp3000:

can you download music for offline listening on the Tidal app? And does the unit use the internal Dacs when it is connected in a car via the usb c connection, or does it act only as a hard drive and the car stereo takes care of the dac job? Thanks in advance.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #1,436 of 3,981
Got two questions about the sp3000:

can you download music for offline listening on the Tidal app? And does the unit use the internal Dacs when it is connected in a car via the usb c connection, or does it act only as a hard drive and the car stereo takes care of the dac job? Thanks in advance.
1. Yes, you can download music in Tidal.
2. If you connect SP3K via USB to car stereo it could act as a transport at its best. So no, it won’t use internal DACs for decoding

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #1,439 of 3,981
Thanks for the response, but can you download music in tidal on the sp3000?
As I wrote above - yes, you can download music in Tidal on sp3000.

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #1,440 of 3,981
Thanks for the response, but can you download music in tidal on the sp3000?
The embedded Tidal app does not have the option to download music for offline use due to contractual obligations between Tidal and the record labels prohibiting offline downloads on embedded versions of Tidal. The full Tidal Android app, which can be downloaded in via the download tab, does allow offline music as this app is certified by the record labels. Both versions of the app do full MQA unfolding to the original resolution of the track.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back