Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Nov 12, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #976 of 4,124
So much the better if my words seem to you in favour of the 3000, my ears tell me something else.
If you use Photoshop for example, you know that accentuation or sharpening can improve the rendering; if you force the setting it will cause a clear outline... whether you accept it or not...
It seems to me that the 3000 has received a similar treatment with this "black background" which is finally very "audible" and which makes each sound sharper, even more accentuated in the treble... and which everyone will feel differently...
The SP2K does not have this "black background" and, to my ears, provides a more realistic sound, at least and in a sensitive way, more melodious.
If this is confirmed with the Phonix, I will regret some technical improvements, but personal listening pleasure comes first.
Excellent analogy

Nov 12, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #979 of 4,124
No heat generated that you can feel. However dsd does use up the battery faster than standard rate flac.
I figured, but my biggest worry has always been heat generation. It impacts greatly the life expectancy of the battery and other components!

Nov 12, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #981 of 4,124
My first post here! I got my SP3000 last week and it is my first A&K. I am absolutely loving the sound but have a question about the Wi-Fi range. If I am not in the same room as the router it will not work. Is this normal?
Shouldn’t be like that.

Do you have issues with any other device?

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #982 of 4,124
I figured, but my biggest worry has always been heat generation. It impacts greatly the life expectancy of the battery and other components!
Well, it does generate some heat. Overheating will depend on the environment. If it's +40 and you put it in your pocket - I guess it will become somewhat hot, but I don't think hotter than previous models. Just assumptions though

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #983 of 4,124
My first post here! I got my SP3000 last week and it is my first A&K. I am absolutely loving the sound but have a question about the Wi-Fi range. If I am not in the same room as the router it will not work. Is this normal?
Congrats! If you have thick walls (like in a laboratory) - possible. Check If your phone have similar issues

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #984 of 4,124
So much the better if my words seem to you in favour of the 3000, my ears tell me something else.
If you use Photoshop for example, you know that accentuation or sharpening can improve the rendering; if you force the setting it will cause a clear outline... whether you accept it or not...
It seems to me that the 3000 has received a similar treatment with this "black background" which is finally very "audible" and which makes each sound sharper, even more accentuated in the treble... and which everyone will feel differently...
The SP2K does not have this "black background" and, to my ears, provides a more realistic sound, at least and in a sensitive way, more melodious.
If this is confirmed with the Phonix, I will regret some technical improvements, but personal listening pleasure comes first.
Can't agree with you about 2k being more "melodic" but it's subjective ofc.

One thing though (pretty obvious, but just in case) - because of the darker background, let's say vol. 65 on 3k sounds louder than vol. 65 on 2k. So, when I direct compare them, I go with smth like 5-10 vol. difference, actually. No loss in details due to the lack of noise, and similar "perceived" loudness. Maybe you will have a more pleasing experience:)

Nov 13, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #986 of 4,124
Nov 13, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #988 of 4,124
HO!
I made a big mistake !
I apologize to those who read me !
I've been testing the SP3K for a week with EQ on "normal", intuitive?, bad choice ! ... !!!

By unchecking EQ, the listening finds, to my ears, a great similarity with that of the SP2K.

Apologies for those who read me, and a great relief for me (I would have really missed the nice technical improvements of the SP3K).

Otherwise, the importance of the EQ is there, quite obvious. And even "normal" is not at all benign.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #989 of 4,124
Well, it does generate some heat. Overheating will depend on the environment. If it's +40 and you put it in your pocket - I guess it will become somewhat hot, but I don't think hotter than previous models. Just assumptions though
I ask just cause i come from an M15, that goes at 40 degrees by itself, so if this lil monster is chillier with all its power, it becomes very appealing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back