Astell&Kern A&norma SR25 MK II - Available November 2021
Nov 17, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #61 of 143
hi was wondering after a couple of days of using the sr25 mk ii if your thoughts / impressions regarding it changed. Am tempted to pick one up as well

I got mine today, and everything quickanddirty said is right on point. Everything is improved, especially the width of the stage and imaging. Mids are moved back some but still great and top and bottom are better. Haven't tried BT or streaming yet but I'm impressed.

It does have a highly detailed sound and sounds a lot like a ladder dac or a nice multibit dac. Very holographic sounding.

I've been using the 4.4 out. Incredible. Ok, Amazon HD is working smooth but the device reporting is still off but it sounds amazing. And BT receiver in LDAC works a charm. The openness of the sound is some of the best I've heard. Really expansive like the dx160 but with better detail and refinement. If you want a small dap with truly amazing sound and battery life this is it.

Plus you're getting the AK build quality and design. Would be nice to have open android but there are benefits to a modified os such as this. For instance, I left it in standby all night and the battery % only dropped 1%.

20211117_223018.jpg

20211118_153436.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #62 of 143
I got mine today, and everything quickanddirty said is right on point. Everything is improved, especially the width of the stage and imaging. Mids are moved back some but still great and top and bottom are better. Haven't tried BT or streaming yet but I'm impressed.

It does have a highly detailed sound and sounds a lot like a ladder dac or a nice multibit dac. Very holographic sounding.

I've been using the 4.4 out. Incredible. Ok, Amazon HD is working smooth but the device reporting is still off but it sounds amazing. And BT receiver in LDAC works a charm. The openness of the sound is some of the best I've heard. Really expansive like the dx160 but with better detail and refinement. If you want a small dap with truly amazing sound and battery life this is it.

Plus you're getting the AK build quality and design. Would be nice to have open android but there are benefits to a modified os such as this. For instance, I left it in standby all night and the battery % only dropped 1%.

20211117_223018.jpg
20211118_153436.jpg
I just got mine today and can confirm there are many improvements here over the original SR25. One huge improvement in my opinion is the new back button on the now playing screen. Have you ever been shuffling your music on the old SR25, landed on a song and thought "oh, I'd really like to quickly go to the rest of the artists tracks or view this whole album" well, now you can! Taping the back button now brings up options to return to "album, artist's albums, or folder". I think this is a small, but really handy feature, because on the old SR25, you had to go back and re locate the album or artist manually.

Another major improvement I'm happy to report is bluetooth! First thing I did was pair up my Fiio true wireless earbud adapters and walk outside to go get my mail. I intentionally cupped my hand around the top of the player which on the old SR25 caused it to instantly stutter and cut out. I was able to go walking outside down the street to my mailbox without a single dropout! My old SR25 would constantly drop out walking this same path. I can say I'm very pleased with the upgrades on this player!

However, I have yet to figure out how to use AK File Drop. I entered the FTP address in my web browser and it opened up the folders on the SR25mkii, but it would not let me drag anything over to it or make any change to the files. Am I missing something here?

Attachments

• IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Nov 18, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #63 of 143
I just got mine today and can confirm there are many improvements here over the original SR25. One huge improvement in my opinion is the new back button on the now playing screen. Have you ever been shuffling your music on the old SR25, landed on a song and thought "oh, I'd really like to quickly go to the rest of the artists tracks or view this whole album" well, now you can! Taping the back button now brings up options to return to "album, artist's albums, or folder". I think this is a small, but really handy feature, because on the old SR25, you had to go back and re locate the album or artist manually.

Another major improvement I'm happy to report is bluetooth! First thing I did was pair up my Fiio true wireless earbud adapters and walk outside to go get my mail. I intentionally cupped my hand around the top of the player which on the old SR25 caused it to instantly stutter and cut out. I was able to go walking outside down the street to my mailbox without a single dropout! My old SR25 would constantly drop out walking this same path. I can say I'm very pleased with the upgrades on this player!

However, I have yet to figure out how to use AK File Drop. I entered the FTP address in my web browser and it opened up the folders on the SR25mkii, but it would not let me drag anything over to it or make any change to the files. Am I missing something here?

Oh yeah, that back button is boss. The normal (movable) back button will take you one step back back but that button can go to artist folder or album. I thought that was new 😀 And yes the BT is better and the BT sink works flawlessly.

Sorry can't help with the file drop.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #64 of 143
Mac or Windows? What browser are you using?

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 18, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #66 of 143

Any review on sound quality? Haha

Nov 18, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #68 of 143
Any review on sound quality? Haha
I think a few others commented previously who can probably do a better job explaining the sound than me, but definitely feels a bit more open than the original with more pin point accuracy. The original SR25 wasn't bad by any means but kind of sounded a tiny bit muddy compared to the MKII. I'm also running it through the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk on 2.5 balanced which is a fantastic IEM, but I'm sure there are others on here with way more revealing headphones than those. I am curious by A&K's claim that the 4.4 sounds better than the 2.5. To my understanding, they should both be going through the same circuit so I don't know how or why there would be any difference than the 4.4 unless there is something I'm missing. All in all, so far I am very happy with the upgrade in sound quality and features.

I will say, it's going to take some getting used to the power button being on the side rather than the top like the old model.

Nov 18, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #69 of 143
I do have one more question for anyone who may be able to shed some light on things. So, prior to selling my old SR25, I copied the playlist folder containing all my .m3u playlists I created on the original SR25 to my computer desktop. When I got my new SR25mkii, I copied the playlist back over to the playlist folder on the SR25mkii, but when I go to playlists on the player, they all show up but have zero songs in them. Is it possible to transfer these playlists over? It would be a big pain to need to manually re create them:frowning2:

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #70 of 143
Must report that the wifi is really weak, using YouTube is next to impossible. I've reset router, changed channels and still very weak. I have to be in the same room as the router to have it work properly. Plus I have a dead pixel :frowning2: so it's going back and I will probably have to eat a restocking fee. 😞

Now I know why it never played amazon ultra HD files, just not enough bandwidth. Seems even worse than my original mk1.

Sounds amazing but this just seems wrong for so much $$$. Would be better to just leave wifi off if you're going to use a weak chip. Can't recommend if you're going to stream.

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #71 of 143
Must report that the wifi is really weak, using YouTube is next to impossible. I've reset router, changed channels and still very weak. I have to be in the same room as the router to have it work properly. Plus I have a dead pixel :frowning2: so it's going back and I will probably have to eat a restocking fee. 😞

Now I know why it never played amazon ultra HD files, just not enough bandwidth. Seems even worse than my original mk1.

Sounds amazing but this just seems wrong for so much $$$. Would be better to just leave wifi off if you're going to use a weak chip. Can't recommend if you're going to stream.
Sorry to read that… I hope you get a replacement unit soon.

I am planning to get one myself. I am not streaming with DAPs, so I hope SQ alone is worth USD 800.-. Well, I also am looking for extended battery life and 4.4mm HO, which make the SR25 MKII very appealing to me. On top of that, it’s a true portable device with the AK built quality.

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #72 of 143
Sorry to read that… I hope you get a replacement unit soon.

I am planning to get one myself. I am not streaming with DAPs, so I hope SQ alone is worth USD 800.-. Well, I also am looking for extended battery life and 4.4mm HO, which make the SR25 MKII very appealing to me. On top of that, it’s a true portable device with the AK built quality.
Same here, I use streaming apps like Spotify but will only download the file for offline listening. Most of the time listen to local music files from SD card. What I need is outstanding SQ with compact size and longer playback time. One of the device manage to do that is Lotoo Paw6000 but it is around usd 1200. AK SR25mkii is now only my hope haha....

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #74 of 143
Same here, I use streaming apps like Spotify but will only download the file for offline listening. Most of the time listen to local music files from SD card. What I need is outstanding SQ with compact size and longer playback time. One of the device manage to do that is Lotoo Paw6000 but it is around usd 1200. AK SR25mkii is now only my hope haha....

Hiby R5 saber is a nice unit. Not quite as nice but has better wifi and full Android.

Nov 20, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #75 of 143
Hiby R5 saber is a nice unit. Not quite as nice but has better wifi and full Android.
TBH R5 saber is truly a nice DAP, handy and good 4.4mm output but not 3.5mm, plus sometimes the app itself will get crashed. 2gb ram now is really not sufficient for android platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back