Astell&Kern A&norma SR25 MK II - Available November 2021
Jan 12, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #93 of 143
I can't find official thread so I'm posting here. I'm going to try another one of these because I miss the battery life and size. I can't imagine the wifi being worse on the new one or it having a dead pixel again.

I've got the ibasso dx240 now which is a beast and a better streamer... but it's bulkier and the battery life isn't as good. The deciding factor will be the sound, if it doesn't sound as good as the 240 (at least very close) and the wifi is as bad it's going back. My regular sr25 wifi was fine so we will see. And I was impressed by the version 2's sound. But that's from memory so who knows.

Form factor and battery life mean alot. I'd get a dongle again but I just don't like connecting and unconnecting it from my phone. And no small wireless dongles sound as good as a nice dap. Really even wired ones don't. They just don't have the depth and staging.

Anyways I will report back.

Jan 13, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #94 of 143
SR25;
  • Signal to Noise Ratio
    122dB @ 1kHz, Unbalanced / 123dB @ 1kHz, Balanced
  • THD+N
    0.0007% @ 1kHz, Unbalanced / 0.0008% @ 1kHz, Balanced
  • Output Impedance
    Unbalanced Out 3.5mm (1.8ohm) / Balanced out 2.5mm (1.6ohm)

SR25 MKii;
  • Signal to Noise Ratio
    122dB @ 1kHz, Unbalanced / 124dB @ 1kHz, Balanced

• THD+N
    0.0006% @ 1kHz, Unbalanced / 0.0005% @ 1kHz, Balanced

• Output Impedance
    Unbalanced Out 3.5mm (1.2ohm) / Balanced out 2.5mm (1.8ohm), 4.4.mm (1.7ohm)

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #95 of 143
SR25;
  • Signal to Noise Ratio
    122dB @ 1kHz, Unbalanced / 123dB @ 1kHz, Balanced

• Crosstalk
    -138dB @ 1kHz, Unbalanced / -144dB @ 1kHz, Balanced

• THD+N
    0.0007% @ 1kHz, Unbalanced / 0.0008% @ 1kHz, Balanced

• IMD SMPTE
    0.0004% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Unbalanced / 0.0003% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Balanced

• Output Impedance
    Unbalanced Out 3.5mm (1.8ohm) / Balanced out 2.5mm (1.6ohm)

SR25 MKii;
  • Signal to Noise Ratio
    122dB @ 1kHz, Unbalanced / 124dB @ 1kHz, Balanced

• Crosstalk
    -138dB @ 1kHz, Unbalanced / -144dB @ 1kHz, Balanced

• THD+N
    0.0006% @ 1kHz, Unbalanced / 0.0005% @ 1kHz, Balanced

• IMD SMPTE
    0.0004% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Unbalanced / 0.0003% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Balanced

• Output Impedance
    Unbalanced Out 3.5mm (1.2ohm) / Balanced out 2.5mm (1.8ohm), 4.4.mm (1.7ohm)

Clearly THD is lower, and significantly lower on balanced.

Output impedance is also changed and lastly battery power is reduced by one hour.

All this points to AK having upgraded the amp stage with upstream advancements from their more premium DAPs

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #96 of 143
So, if anyone cares I got my ak sr25 today and the wifi is working decent and no dead pixels. I do have a problem with a bunch of stuff not showing up in the database, and I can't seem to make on the fly Playlists from the file sorting. I've never had this problem before. Although I did have it with the last sr25ii. Unless there's something about the tags it doesn't like.

Soundwise out of the box it's pretty good. But dx240 has more of a natural sound and a bigger stage with better positioning. I'm burning the sr25ii in as I type. So that might change. Of course the 240 is snappier with the snapdragon chip and more ram. But the little sr25ii is pretty smooth.

Has anyone else had any database issues?

Mar 2, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #98 of 143
For those interested, my write-up of the Astell & Kern A&norma SR25 MKII is out.

@JasonNYC Very happy to see the filters being implemented :wink:
Nice and honest write-up🤟

Have bought one myself a few weeks ago and the Lotoo P6K is arriving on Monday. I am excited to « head-to-head » them as standalone DAPs and also linked to the Cayin C9.

The SR25 MK2 is a very good sounding DAP with a long battery life and top-notch built quality.

I have tried your SR25 MK1 last year and wasn’t overwhelmed by the overly warm and relaxed sound signature. Don’t know if my tastes have changed since then, but from memory the MK2 definitely sounds better to my ears.

Mar 2, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #99 of 143
I have tried your SR25 MK1 last year and wasn’t overwhelmed by the overly warm and relaxed sound signature. Don’t know if my tastes have changed since then, but from memory the MK2 definitely sounds better to my ears.
Tough to say for me to be honest — I had so many DAPs in-between… The DAC filters can make a huge difference though.

With that said, the SR25 already was an extremely mature DAP. The MKII is just one steps ahead — if not more.

Curious to hear your thoughts on the LP6K :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #100 of 143
Tough to say for me to be honest — I had so many DAPs in-between 😅

With that said, the SR25 already was an extremely mature DAP and the MKII is just one steps ahead.

Curious to hear your thoughts on the LP6K :wink:
Your impressions about the P6K make me think I might only use it with the warmish C9. Let’s wait and wonder

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #101 of 143
Mar 3, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #102 of 143
Well written, appreciate your review, how it's compared to Lotoo Paw 6000? Thanks
The SR25 MKII is warmer and less transparent.

I didn’t like the PAW 6000 stock tuning, while musical, its most defining characteristic is transparency and how revealing it is.

To my ears, the PAW 6000 is a tool to assess IEMs/Headphones, not something to enjoy music with.

But preferences play a huge part in all of this.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #103 of 143
Well written, appreciate your review, how it's compared to Lotoo Paw 6000? Thanks
I have both the SR25 MK2 and P6K. I use them as standalone DAPs or via a Cayin C9.

The AK player is warmer than the Lotoo, but still presents a very decent level of details with the right IEMs. The P6K is a highly precise playback device with true LOs (3.5mm and 4.4mm) and some pre-EQs settings. They both have a pretty long battery life, more so on the SR25 MK2. Built quality is absolutely top-notch, with a very slight advantage to the P6K and it's leather case, which is better designed than the one from AK.

As standalone usage goes, my preference, soundwise, ultimately goes to the SR25 MK2. As @NewEve pointed out, it's warmer, less transparent, but perfectly sufficient in terms of precision and detail retrieval. It's such a nice portable player, with a fast UI and great screen quality. AK did a tremendous job here, the whole package is excellent. Holding and manipulating the SR25 MK2 with one hand is intuitive and feels just "right". The Lotoo is less easy to control, with the volume wheel on the top and due to its extra weight. If I did not own the AK, I would be very pleased to have the P6K on the go. It's still musical enough while being more transparent, and music definitely can be highly enjoyed via the P6K in my opinion.

Another story happens, if I am connecting the DAPs on the Cayin C9. While the AK player is brought to the next level, fully benefiting from the amp and the different sound settings available, the Lotoo goes the extra mile. The P6K keeps its incredible transparency, but a small portion of welcomed warmth is added by the C9. I understand why some head-fier love the P6K/C9 combo that much. The pairing is TOTL sounding.

Big disadvantage with the P6K: eventhough if the "gapless" option is available in the settings, mixed albums (i.e. electronic mixes) are not read in a "true" gapless playback, which is important to mention. It could be a massive downside for some. I can live with it as the SR25 MK2 can do it.

End words: I keep both, because of the different usage I make of them and their complementary signatures.

Well done Lotoo and AK, I am truly enjoying your respective DAPs.

IMG_2751.jpg

Mar 5, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #104 of 143
The SR25MKII has a DAC Filter setting in the menu:
  • Low Latency Fast
  • Low Latency Slow
  • Phase Compensation Fast
  • Phase Compensation Slow
Couldn't find any information in the user manual.
A search on the net does not give exactly such names of filters.

What was meant by the manufacturer?
What does this mean really and what does it affect indeed?
Who hears the difference and in what exactly?

Mar 7, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #105 of 143
I’m looking for my first DAP, and the A&K SR25 is on my list, together with the Fiio M11. I don’t really need a full blown Android DAP as I can still use my iPad Pro with a dongle if I need more connectivity. The Fiio is roughly at the same price and that’s why I added to the list. Possibly the only streaming option I would need is Qobuz, but I couldn’t find information online on whether the SR25 supports it or not…only Tidal. Could you confirm you can Qobuz? Also, anyone compared the SR25 with the Fiio M11 in terms of sound quality? Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back