Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
Oct 29, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #497 of 648
hi
does sem4 have a detailed sound like sem 1
what would be the best change compared to a nwm1a?
I listen with westone w60
Thank you

Here’s a good comparison between the modules from Moon Audio

https://www.moon-audio.com/ak-sem-se180-review

According to their review (and others I’ve read) it sits between SEM1 & SEM4 (warm side of neutral). Some of the detail and clarity on the SEM4 comes from its DAR processing.

I can’t speak to much more than that. I listening to the SEM1 for about 5 min when I first fired it up then it’s been SEM4 all the way. I have an SEM2 that I haven’t even tried since the SEM4 with DAR is just about perfect (and a very similar sound signature to my desktop rig)

Nov 8, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #499 of 648
What headphones owners are using with SE180? Which is a good match? I currently use Sony wh-1000xm4 via bluetooth, it is ok but limited by the type off the connection. Using cable not make any improvement to my ears. So what are the options here? (not IEM please)

Nov 8, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #500 of 648
What headphones owners are using with SE180? Which is a good match? I currently use Sony wh-1000xm4 via bluetooth, it is ok but limited by the type off the connection. Using cable not make any improvement to my ears. So what are the options here? (not IEM please)
I have SEM 3 installed and use Campfire Cascades (cloth pads or large leather pads w/o filter). This sounds amazing to my ears. Mostly electronic music (ambient, dub, etc), but also jazz, classical and classic rock. I have a 4.4mm connector on my Hart cable.

Nov 14, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #504 of 648
Yeah, WiFi really is a bit of a joke on the device.
It's quite a bummer, as most of my other WiFi enabled devices (including a phone that costs about 10% of what the player does *and* is 4 years old) perform just fine in situations where the SE180 doesn't even find the network.

Nov 14, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #505 of 648
Incredible. I was interested in the SE180 because of the still novelty of the tubes in a portable and read many and many problems with wifi, seriously... And the wifi is extremely weak in, I am sure, all models. I had and still have many, and getting near 1000 Mbits (1GB) in wifi, near any point of my home, and barely getting 50 something Mbits with A&K...
And this adds up to the slow processors, absolutely old Android OS (hidden in a beautiful and fake elusive interface), and low, low and low ram, that made me and makes me incredible angry about it. And I am talking about 2 to 4 (or almost) thousands USD. It's just absurd that A&K did this for so long, till just now, releasing the SP3000, with a barely middle range processor and 8 GB of ram... Don't forget that a flagship phone costs 2K of less, and have some differences in the specifications and costs of some pieces, but for sure never justify a five years old processor, ram standard, OS and so on.
In the end, after little time, you have a mp3 player that will not even play the basic music apps that are released for them right now.

Nov 20, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #506 of 648
I wanted to share some thoughts with the SE180. I´m a SE100 Owner and I had the SE180 for one Week, so I´m also comparing these two Devices. First of all, these two share the same Flagship DAC the ESS9038 Pro. I was a bit disappointed with the the SE180 (SEM1). The Sound was out the Box for my Taste too analytical and dry, also the Soundstage seemed more narrow than on the SE100. I was really surprised the SE100 is way more musical. Musical to me means more Fun and Emotions. Beside of that the Soundstage was bigger and more airy/holographic. I really did not notice anything about the new Terraton Alpha AMP A&K was using, for me the SE100 was clearly the better sounding DAP of these two. The Game changed when I switched from SEM1 wich was a disappointment to the SEM2 (2x AKM 4497). This changed everything. Now the SE180 was musical and dynamic, there was everything there i was missing from the SEM1 Module. Also the Soundstage increased and was way more holographic and airy. The SE180 with SEM 2 Module is better, but nevertheless the SE100 is not too far away for my surprise. The SE100 is the best ESS 9038 Pro Impletation I´ve ever heard, even better than the iBasso DX240 which shares also the same Chip. In my Opinion if you´re a Fan of ESS Sound get the SE100 for half the Price of the SE180 (Second Hand on Ebay or elsewhere) you won´t be disappointed! Also the CPU in the SE180 is not faster than on the SE100. For example Qubuz App is on both Devices laggy and slow. Also Wifi Signal on both Devices is not that good but thats a general A&K Problem. I dont unterstand it, every cheap Smartphone has better Wifi Signal Quality than A&K Devices. All in all I personally see no real Benefits switching to the SE180 , some UI Improvements, Newer Android, and higher Screen Resolution just dont justify that price, at least not for me.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #507 of 648
RE: SEM4 / "Digital Audio Remaster" Settings
Hi. So far I've been listening to 16bit/44.1kHz FLAC files with this module's "stock" settings (w/default DAC filter.) When I toggle D.A.R. on what option should I select when playing these FLAC files - Max PCM or Max DSD? Also, any addition background/comments on this remastering magic would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Charlie

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #508 of 648
Should have more info on support for Roon Arc soon.
Any update on this? I got the email from Roon saying Arc is now supported on Andriod devices, does that mean we can side load it on the SE180?

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #509 of 648
RE: SEM4 / "Digital Audio Remaster" Settings
Hi. So far I've been listening to 16bit/44.1kHz FLAC files with this module's "stock" settings (w/default DAC filter.) When I toggle D.A.R. on what option should I select when playing these FLAC files - Max PCM or Max DSD? Also, any addition background/comments on this remastering magic would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Charlie
Choose Max DSD

If your source file is 96 kHz and below it will be upsampled to DSD128 (anything above 96 kHz will be upsampled to DSD256) PCM you are only looking at 352.8/384 kHz which is at most 8x upsampling if your source is redbook, even less for hi-res source files.

Same basic principle of HQPlayer, but since this is hardware based and limited by the parameters of the AK4493SEQ DAC its no where near as complicated, or has options for different filters and modulators to get optimal time-frequency response. Total speculation here, but most hardware based upsampling is basic calculations to reach Nyquist which are then extrapolated 2x or 4x etc (duplicated in multiples of 2 to get to the final upsampling rate) which is not as accurate as extending the entire calculation from start to finish. Hardware upsampling is usually a "best guess" sort of approach but its limited by the hardware resources. With all that being said, this is the best hardware based upsampling I've heard. It doesn't get close to my Holo May KTE + HQPlayer but then again I would never expect that out of a device that fits in my pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back