Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
Apr 23, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #16 of 648
What are the dimensions and weight? This would probably be my selling point over R8. Provided it does not lack behind in SQ too much.
Same thickness but the SE180 is 13,7x7,7 vs 14,3x8,1 so a bit smaller.

What impresses me the most is the -137dB crosstalk in single-ended! Very convenient for those great items with non-detachable cables, or when you often swap with a 3.5mm source.

edit: also 380g for the SE180 vs 426 for the R8.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #19 of 648
What is the size of this DAP?

Apr 23, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #21 of 648
Same thickness but the SE180 is 13,7x7,7 vs 14,3x8,1 so a bit smaller.

What impresses me the most is the -137dB crosstalk in single-ended! Very convenient for those great items with non-detachable cables, or when you often swap with a 3.5mm source.

edit: also 380g for the SE180 vs 426 for the R8.
Hmm. I thought i will be a touch thinner too. But seems like difference in size is not significant. So wont be deciding factor. Not surprised though.
Still very interesting. Will be auditioning once available in UK.
As long as UI is improved. And streaming apps are fully supported...
Opportunity for wasting more money on audio gear with exchangeable dacs is exactly what i need. Because i was almost happy with my gear i have and was slowly loosing grip on head-fi... And here i am itching to hear another product that i absolute dont need...😔😄

Apr 23, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #23 of 648
Hmm. I thought i will be a touch thinner too. But seems like difference in size is not significant. So wont be deciding factor. Not surprised though.
Still very interesting. Will be auditioning once available in UK.
As long as UI is improved. And streaming apps are fully supported...
Opportunity for wasting more money on audio gear with exchangeable dacs is exactly what i need. Because i was almost happy with my gear i have and was slowly loosing grip on head-fi... And here i am itching to hear another product that i absolute dont need...😔😄
Waste money you will on this one - $400 per additional module! That money would net you an entire DX160.

Funny coincidence: I was actually stalking your profile a couple of days ago because I remembered you had a DX300 then all of a sudden you had an R8.
I wonder how this one will stack up - talking about not needing stuff I barely have any time to listen to music these days, I already have and love the N3Pro, and I often reach for my wireless Aëdle anyway, yet here I am looking at $1000+ DAPs.

Apr 23, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #24 of 648
That’s the attraction, ever changing technology with lower and lower noise level that makes you wonder how low can one go. The price is rather reasonable, not outrageous but the WiFi speed is still in yesteryear, specially since now 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) is out you’d think they would have at least moved to 802.11ac. It’s been out for a while now. I guess it’s difficult to make a portable player with a reasonably faster WiFi without pushing heat and size further.

Apr 23, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #25 of 648
Waste money you will on this one - $400 per additional module! That money would net you an entire DX160.

Funny coincidence: I was actually stalking your profile a couple of days ago because I remembered you had a DX300 then all of a sudden you had an R8.
I wonder how this one will stack up - talking about not needing stuff I barely have any time to listen to music these days, I already have and love the N3Pro, and I often reach for my wireless Aëdle anyway, yet here I am looking at $1000+ DAPs
I actually liked dx300 as well es dx220. Ibasso tuning is my thing. And the exchancable amp modules were a thing but dx300 was just too big for me. And while i liked its tuning. R8 is technically more refined as far as sq goes.
Still R8 is quite chunky and se200 does not have 4.4 jack. Besides i have not auditioned it yet due to covid.
Now that shops are open again i will give both se200 and se180 a try once its out in UK.
Im happy with R8 but maybe i could be a touch happier you know😄

Apr 24, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #27 of 648
I actually liked dx300 as well es dx220. Ibasso tuning is my thing. And the exchancable amp modules were a thing but dx300 was just too big for me. And while i liked its tuning. R8 is technically more refined as far as sq goes.
Still R8 is quite chunky and se200 does not have 4.4 jack. Besides i have not auditioned it yet due to covid.
Now that shops are open again i will give both se200 and se180 a try once its out in UK.
Im happy with R8 but maybe i could be a touch happier you know😄
Wrong thread I know, but HiBy will eventually surpass the R8. Waiting 2 years between HiBy flagships is probably the way to go for us R8 users, rather than be distracted by these sidegrade options :upside_down: Meanwhile, if you do end up auditioning the SE180 I'll be looking out for your impressions.

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #28 of 648
Wrong thread I know, but HiBy will eventually surpass the R8. Waiting 2 years between HiBy flagships is probably the way to go for us R8 users, rather than be distracted by these sidegrade options :upside_down: Meanwhile, if you do end up auditioning the SE180 I'll be looking out for your impressions.
Out of curiosity, what other daps have you heard besides the R8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back